Didn't someone mention in another thread that a highrise was planned in midtown, next to MATCH?

I believe Mid Main has a highrise office component planned near the site.

on a side note, the midtown highrise mention reminds me that what are right now the biggest gaps in our inner city skylines (montrose and midtown) are finally getting proposals with this 20 story tower, the 30 story tower further down Montrose, and possibly even a tower or two at the Montrose and Westheimer intersection when they redevelop that shopping strip, along with the midtown office building, that will fill in the void and eventually form one (almost) seamless skyline from uptown to downtown to the medical center. i cant wait for the future..

no address mentioned.. i guess its time for some speculation!  :P

actually Urbannizers linked write up mentioning Streetlights Montrose references a specific site.. im not sure how to translate that though, but there is a Chealsea St off of Montrose just south of 59..? if thats the area then this one isnt IN montrose, but would be another tower for the museum district, thats on montrose.

Didn't someone mention in another thread that a highrise was planned in midtown, next to MATCH?

actually when i looked back at it, not only does Mid Main plan to develop an office tower component, across Main, next to the church, but they also hope to build a boutique hotel which could turn out to be another highrise.

Edited by cloud713

I believe Mid Main has a highrise office component planned near the site.

on a side note, the midtown highrise mention reminds me that what are right now the biggest gaps in our inner city skylines (montrose and midtown) are finally getting proposals with this 20 story tower, the 30 story tower further down Montrose, and possibly even a tower or two at the Montrose and Westheimer intersection when they redevelop that shopping strip, along with the midtown office building, that will fill in the void and eventually form one (almost) seamless skyline from uptown to downtown to the medical center. i cant wait for the future..

Argh, the skyline fetish! 

Montrose and the museum district would both pretty much have to be wiped out for this to happen.

The museum district is well on its way, but I hope Montrose avoids that fate.

No I mean the actual physical buildings that are there.

Check out the demo reports on Swamplot: most days there are multiple demos of older, 2 story brick homes being demoed in favor of new construction.

Or for that matter, the Hines residential building in the Museum District: that's a perfectly fine block that will be mostly razed.

Oh, and even just today: the Caroline Collective: http://swamplot.com/the-singular-demolition-of-museum-parks-caroline-collective/2014-01-03/

Argh, the skyline fetish!

Montrose and the museum district would both pretty much have to be wiped out for this to happen.

The museum district is well on its way, but I hope Montrose avoids that fate.

I wouldn't mind strings of hirises down main and Fannin from downtown to the Binz area but what's up with wanting hi rises all over the place in Montrose, River Oaks, the heights etc.

Personally, I think it would look and feel better if the towers connect downtown and TMC, then 4 to 8 storey apartments surround the towers. These would extend from midtown to 4th ward, East Downtown and north of it.

Around three midrises I would leave the neighborhoods as is. Those would be Montrose, Museum district, Riverside, Riverside Terrace, Washington Terrace, the Heights etc.

I would continue to upgrade 3rd ward, the East End, Washington ave, 5th ward etc.

I dunno, I just wish we would develop in patterns instead of putting towers randomly all over the city creating zillions of skylines

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind strings of hirises down main and Fannin from downtown to the Binz area but what's up with wanting hi rises all over the place in Montrose, River Oaks, the heights etc.

Personally, I think it would look and feel better if the towers connect downtown and TMC, then 4 to 8 storey apartments surround the towers. These would extend from midtown to 4th ward, East Downtown and north of it.

Around three midrises I would leave the neighborhoods as is. Those would be Montrose, Museum district, Riverside, Riverside Terrace, Washington Terrace, the Heights etc.

I would continue to upgrade 3rd ward, the East End, Washington ave, 5th ward etc.

I dunno, I just wish we would develop in patterns instead of putting towers randomly all over the city creating zillions of skylines

Haha, I'm a skyscraper dork. And I agree I wish we would develop some patterns instead of everything so random, I just want the skylines to merge so it looks like one continuous skyline, not a bunch of random smaller skylines here and there. I like what has become of Houston with no zoning, but would like it if there was a little bit of order and the separate developments blended together more seamlessly. I don't want to ruin Montrose, but I think a couple funky/unique high rises could be good for the neighborhood, giving it a few showcase art pieces (the new towers), increasing density in the area, and adding more housing to a popular location. Now if they throw up some half assed cookie cutter towers on Montrose my opinion would be different. And I guess I could see how high rises in Montrose could throw off the scale of the neighborhood.. But it's in the middle of the largest city without zoning in the country, so increased density/developments were bound to happen sooner or later. If they weren't proposed for Montrose, towers would likely be built through the area along Richmond and San Felipe (they probably will anyways/already are). Hopefully the developers realize the significance of the area and give us some nice designs. Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

i drove by the site today.. its in such a strange location, on 4 Chelsea like nate said.. the tower will be practically in the middle of a small residential neighborhood, with a couple properties over from Montrose, and the site is backed up to some sort of utility lot, before overlooking 59. not the most picturesque or convenient location, on a 2 lane residential side road.

here is whats at the site currently.. a house looking Eye doctors office, along with another building behind it, but the gate is padlocked shut. i guess they are empty already?

DSCF1512_zps38aede10.jpg

Am I crazy or is there another high rise planned for the museum district besides this one, the southmore, and the tower at hermann place?

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

Haha, I'm a skyscraper dork. And I agree I wish we would develop some patterns instead of everything so random, I just want the skylines to merge so it looks like one continuous skyline, not a bunch of random smaller skylines here and there. I like what has become of Houston with no zoning, but would like it if there was a little bit of order and the separate developments blended together more seamlessly. I don't want to ruin Montrose, but I think a couple funky/unique high rises could be good for the neighborhood, giving it a few showcase art pieces (the new towers), increasing density in the area, and adding more housing to a popular location. Now if they throw up some half assed cookie cutter towers on Montrose my opinion would be different. And I guess I could see how high rises in Montrose could throw off the scale of the neighborhood.. But it's in the middle of the largest city without zoning in the country, so increased density/developments were bound to happen sooner or later. If they weren't proposed for Montrose, towers would likely be built through the area along Richmond and San Felipe (they probably will anyways/already are). Hopefully the developers realize the significance of the area and give us some nice designs.

I am a skyscraper Dork too and I do want a merged SKYLINE but that will never happen because they are just randomly popping up all over the city.

A midtown bridge to TMC is the only feasible link. Greenway and of course Uptown is just too far away. To join those to Downtown we would need some serious density in the loop.

To build density we need a better way to move people which is another plus fir the TMC to Downtown link.

Look at it this way, there are over 200K workers downtown, over 100K @ TMC and a huge portion spread between at UH, Rice, TSU and HCC throw in the approximately 100K students attending school in the area and you get about 450,000 office workers/ students in the corridor but only about 50,000 actual resudents. Midtown already has the critical mass of workers and students to support the string of towers. It has a great start with the rail to transport people. Midtown should be hands down the densest stretch of land in Texas but instead we are putting up 300 ft towers next to tiny homes in single family homes and building 200 mile loops 40 miles from downtown.

Imagine just the office buildings in uptown, the energy corridor and Greenspoint placed between TMC and downtown. That would increase the office space from about 90M sq feet to about 150M sq feet. Throw in the residential towers and Houston would be close to Chicago level.

We could be like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randomwire/3014636207/

• Like 1

Uptown to greenway connection is already happening with 2929 Wesleyan, and the planned high rise developments at mid lane, and westcreek that will bridge the gap between the two. I agree the area between greenway and downtown will never fill in very thick, but even the spaced out high rises from Kirby-San Felipe-regent square-north Montrose/Allen parkway-new Montrose high rises-the museum district will form a connection when viewed from farther away. And when the university line comes through I predict more high rises along Richmond. Then you just need the midtown connection you mentioned from downtown to south Montrose/north museum district.

But yeah, if this city had zoning and all our towers were clustered it would be nuts. The ever growing sprawl sucks, but I'm hoping it doesn't get too much worse and we start densifying. We have plenty of room for the 10 million + people we are supposed to have by 2050. It's just going to require a slightly different life style for many as more and more people start living in the inner city and the old suburban areas gentrify into denser developments.

At the rate we're going, we'll have 10 million people in the metro area by 2040. I agree with both of you, and I would add that Houston really needs to build a mid-high speed subway/train system (at least around the inner loop area and out to the airports).

Subway in Houston? You must be new to the conversation.

The ever growing sprawl sucks, but I'm hoping it doesn't get too much worse and we start densifying. We have plenty of room for the 10 million + people we are supposed to have by 2050. It's just going to require a slightly different life style for many as more and more people start living in the inner city and the old suburban areas gentrify into denser developments.

I don't know if you ever look at population changes per zip code in Houston but the only reason why Houston didn't lose people last census was because the city limits are so damn large and growth in areas offset others. I was surprised that many of the more dense southwest zip codes got less dense.

Houston population is migrating to the coffee but also to the burbs. A huge chunk of south Houston blacks left fur Pearland, the Southwest list all around to Katy, Spring, Cypress and Atascosita hollowed out north Houston.

Pretty soon there will be 2million (the number was about 1.5m last census) people living outside Houston city limitd but within its jurisdiction. You know what that means don't you? Houston is going to annex huge portions of land to keep its tax base up.

Let them keep building campuses in the boonies and 200 Mile loops in empty prairie. Pretty soon Houston will be struggling to provide services to uts 2000 sq Mile city limits when it should have just focused on its 90 sq mile core. Instead of attracting businesses and residents to the core its making it easier for them to flee.

Dallas population increased by only 10,000 people last census despite major multifamily developments. That's because a lot of the low income areas were destroyed for more pricier alternatives. Same thing is happening in Houston. The new apartments are nice, but come on Houston, can't you build up those empty lots before you kick out families in older complexes to build new ones? 3rd ward family's are disappearing in favor of singles. Yes the building density is increasing but the family sizes are decreasing.

This 20 floor building would be better suited in midtown. Leave Montrose alone till midtown runs out of space.

• Like 1

i drove by the site today.. its in such a strange location, on 4 Chelsea like nate said.. the tower will be practically in the middle of a small residential neighborhood, with a couple properties over from Montrose, and the site is backed up to some sort of utility lot, before overlooking 59. not the most picturesque or convenient location, on a 2 lane residential side road.

here is whats at the site currently.. a house looking Eye doctors office, along with another building behind it, but the gate is padlocked shut. i guess they are empty already?

DSCF1512_zps38aede10.jpg

Am I crazy or is there another high rise planned for the museum district besides this one, the southmore, and the tower at hermann place?

This is why cities have zoning.

• Like 1