Innes leaving KILT for Philly; Pendergast to fill spot

Blue Dogs

The Houston Chronicle's David Barron has reported this story:

Josh Innes, the polarizing but popular co-host of the afternoon drive-time show on KILT since December 2010, has left the station for a similar position in Philadelphia and will be replaced in January by longtime KGOW host Sean Pendergast.

Pendergast, who has worked for KGOW (1560 AM) since the station launched in 2007, will join Rich Lord on KILT's afternoon drive show beginning on January 3rd, said KILT program director Ryan McCredden. Innes will begin work that same day at WIP-FM, one of the country's longest-running sports-talk radio stations. His final show on KILT (610 AM) was Thursday.

Innes, who had been at KILT since December 2009, said he was leaving Houston because of the challenge of working in a hard-core sports market like Philadelphia and because he no longer wanted to work alongside Lord. "The main reason I decided not to stay here is that I didn't want to do that show with Rich anymore," he said. "I don't really like him. I'm not going to say that I'll miss him or that he's a friend of mine."

Innes, however, had high praise for his other KILT co-workers and for McCredden and former CBS Radio Houston executives Brian Purdy and Gavin Spittle, who hired him for his first major-market radio job.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2013/12/josh-innes-leaving-kilt-for-job-in-philadelphia/

Any reactions from anyone on Innes leaving 610.

post-9343-0-61376800-1387558510.jpg

Wow. What a guy. What a classy way to make your exit. He just couldn't resist a parting shot. He says he's leaving because he can't stand working with Rich Lord anymore. Well, I'm betting Rich feels the same way about him and he's not shedding any tears over it. 

Innes is so eaten up with himself that he apparently doesn't care that he's burning the bridge. Rich is one of the best sports call-in guys in the country, and he'll miss Innes about as much as he'd miss a hemorrhoid.

Innes is the reason I stopped hated listening to KILT when he was on the air. I think he will fit right in up in Philly because the fans there are as obnoxious and outspoken as he is. They won't take his crap for a minute. He's in for a shock.

I've yet to understand why people LOVE Rich Lord?  The man is as intersting as a wad of dryer lint on the floor at an empty washateria.  Innes wasn't the best, but he did keep things lively (which is exactly why they paired him with RL).  Innes will be fine in Philly.  Rich Lord will continue to be what he is and everything will be fine.

I really respect and enjoy Rich. I think he is very professional and is a pro at his job as a radio host. He may not be "cool" or "edgy" but he brings a very sensible viewpoint to the table. He doesn't make overly emotional comments like a lot of others.

Also, did Josh say that at the end of the show, his Facebook page? Where?

I never said he wasn't a professional.  He doesn't really energize anything.  As a radio personality unless you are someone as renowned as a  Diane Rehm on NPR, then you MUST have a way of pulling in listeners with charisma/personality etc.  After listening to 610 on my drives to/fro work for the past ~5 years I haven't ever really been drawn in by anything Rich Lord says.  And no - I'm not a huge fan of a guy like Josh Innes working for a sports station, when he should really be working for a drivetime show on a FM channel where his antics would have greater appreciation.

Hoping the "mix-up" will result in a good change.

I just threw that in there because that's one of the reasons I like him. Not to refute you. He's polished.

Josh is kinda like the Dez Bryant of radio. Has talent but needs to grow up. Civility barely exists in our culture sometimes and him on the radio reflects that.

Lockmat:  Apparently he said it to David Barron for publication in the Chron. One of the cardinal rules in any business, but ESPECIALLY the broadcasting business, is that YOU DO NOT BURN THE BRIDGE. Personality radio is a shaky and uncertain business, and it's possible that you might want to come back. You just can't predict what twists and turns your career will make, so you always want to leave on good terms with the people in position to hire you back. You might need them some day.

I speak from experience because I went through that early in my own radio career. I left KPRC Radio in 1973 to work at the Texas State Network in Fort Worth, and less than a year later I was regretting it. It just didn't work out the way I hoped it would and I wanted out. Lucky for me my old boss at KPRC had an opening and rehired me.

Innes can only hope he never finds himself wishing he could return to KILT because it ain't gonna happen.

• 2 weeks later...

the guy does not care....just hire an african american 610, 790, etc. who does not play sports and can offer insight on Houston sports outside of these boring pro teams

Innes made you hate him but imagine if you get someone with his personality but hails from Houston who knows the market and can create meaningful topics

You are the one clamoring for a hire based on race, as in a hire of somebody who was of one race would be superior to a hiring of any other, as in the definition of racist.  

Not going to get in an argument over it though.  Done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived