Camden Conte: Multifamily At 1515 Austin St.

Urbannizer

That's a great location. Come home after a long day at the office downtown, and pop across the street for a basketball game or a Lady Gaga concert. B)

Absolutely true.

Of course the same can be said for just about any block in downtown. Heck, houston's entire Downtown is something like 1 mile X 1 mile. You can be just about anywhere downtown, on foot in 15 minutes or less.

Want to go to the Opera, symphony, ballet, theatre, movies, basketball, baseball, soccer, acquirium, music concerts, bowling, library, or 50 restaraunts or bars? It's all less than a 15 minute walk or a fixed price $6 cab ride.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Had dinner with a friend who is an exec at Camden. Asked about this project and she said phase one should start to rise in late 3rd/early 4th quarter of this year.

Just passing this along: Nancy Sarnoff quoted Ric Campo as saying it will not start this year, maybe next.

https://twitter.com/nsarnoff/status/594217713804816385

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1

maybe next...??? WHY IS THIS GUY RUNNING HOUSTON FIRST?!? they'll have a hard time accomplishing anything visionary so long as that guy is at the helm.. he is supposed to be a leader of one of downtowns larger government run organizations, supporting the revitalization of downtown. and even he won't move forward with his project?? ugh..

maybe next...??? WHY IS THIS GUY RUNNING HOUSTON FIRST?!? they'll have a hard time accomplishing anything visionary so long as that guy is at the helm.. he is supposed to be a leader of one of downtowns larger government run organizations, supporting the revitalization of downtown. and even he won't move forward with his project?? ugh..

I wish they would release the incentives from this project and offer to another developer who will build and not hold the remaining units for the DLI hostage.

Says a lot about our city that this guy's heading the organization that's "leading the effort to promote Houston as one of the great cities of the world." Guess parking lots, projects that reject mixed use and literally block important parks from fully developing, and subpar apartment complexes are what some feel makes Houston one of the great cities of the world. 

• Like 5

That sucks. She was fairly confident but she isn't calling the shots.

I think this happens personally. Confidence that Houston is going to remain strong and developers won't want to miss an opportunity with the incentive.

Ya, how dare he make pragmatic business decisions.

heh, i knew someone would come in with a "reality check". I'm just saying its pretty messed up that other developers have more faith in downtown Houston than the leader of Houston First.

I agree, his project should have been the first development to start construction. Marvy Finger or even Novare should take his place they have shown more confidence in downtown Houston then Campo has.

• Like 2

from the article:

During the energy boom, commercial and multifamily developers rushed to deliver thousands of new office buildings and apartment towers to satisfy the demand from Houston’s job and population growth.

did I miss something?

• Like 4

This guy is full of it!

I agree Campo sat on his a** while other developers started developments before and after him. The super block is a perfect example. He had the land way before there was any hint of an energy cool down.

Block 365, skyhouse main and others started after he started demo for Camden conte. Campo is dragging his feet because that is what he does. The economy is just a convenient excuse.

• Like 2