Camden Conte: Multifamily At 1515 Austin St.

Urbannizer

Thats what I was thinking.

Why start demo?

My guess???

So that they can "start" the project and thereby lock in the incentive. Since the project has "started" and the incentive has been approved (at least for the original proposal), this may ensure that they are able to lock in their credits.

• Like 1

My guess???

So that they can "start" the project and thereby lock in the incentive. Since the project has "started" and the incentive has been approved (at least for the original proposal), this may ensure that they are able to lock in their credits.

That's an interesting point.  I haven't looking at the downtown housing incentive program in detail, but I wonder if they are paid after the project is completed or at the end of the fiscal year in which the project begins (which would inject additional capital).  It definitely seems as though they would lock in the credits even if the program were to be terminated after a short time due to a large number of builders participating.

That's an interesting point. I haven't looking at the downtown housing incentive program in detail, but I wonder if they are paid after the project is completed or at the end of the fiscal year in which the project begins (which would inject additional capital). It definitely seems as though they would lock in the credits even if the program were to be terminated after a short time due to a large number of builders participating.

They are paid over a 15 year period and after the project is complete.

It is my opinion, others disagree, that the 15 year period is one significant factor driving downtown residential developers to develop apartments instead of condos.

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 1

What was the history of that building? Event space?

I believe that it was an event hall, but only recently. It may have been a small operation type office, and there was a foreign car garage in that general area (with BMW and Acura symbols painted on the windows) but that may have been another building, but it has not been anything successful in my memory. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

UtterlyUrban's comment has a degree of truth to it.  haha. Nonetheless, if theyre starting construction, it's essentially free gravel for their equipment to drive on and gain traction in the mud. --thats my guess. 

I think your guess is a very good one, Purdue. In the past we've had contractors ask to tap contingency funds to put in temporary (gravel) drives so that their schedules wouldn't be so impacted by long stretches of rainy weather. I haven't see that problem much lately until the beginning of this year.

Many contractors are now including it (temporary surfaces) as part of their overhead. When this brick is no longer needed it can be scraped up and, hopefully, put to some appropriate use instead of going to a landfill.

Most demolition specifications are clear about what can be done with this type of waste. Usually, it is not a good idea to bury it on the site though some of the unscrupulous will do that to save transportation and disposal fees.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Can one get 518 "normal sized" units in two 8-story buildings or is this a typo from the original proposal?

This one started life as 2x12. When the renders came out (shown on Page 1), it looked like 8. I'm not sure who got the idea it was 21, but it appears that the idea all along was for 8 stories - possibly in one monolithic building spanning two city blocks. Oh, well...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

20 stories sounds plenty tall for that section of downtown. This seems like it would be a terrible place for a low or mid rise. 2 sides of the building wouldn't have a view of anything except freeway ramps. However, twin 20 story buildings in that spot could make quite an impact and could have the best view of downtown in the entire city. It would be like the view from UH Stadium, only up close and personal.

Edited by Metro West
  • Like 1

Many apologies, I was replying to the post prior to mine about Camden. It was off-topic and my post does not relate to this discussion.

Many apologies, I was replying to the post prior to mine about Camden. It was off-topic and my post does not relate to this discussion.

No worries. We like off topic posts when they are about new info pertaining to other projects. I was just confused as to what you were referring to. Didn't think this one was going to end up 20 stories. Heh

It was right at 20 stories and the design reminded me a lot of the Marquette multi-family project. Camden's is more rounded at the top, but very similar. Sorry for posting off topic.

How many units? The new development map says 518, but just saw somewhere else that's now 560.

• Like 1