Camden Conte: Multifamily At 1515 Austin St.

Urbannizer

• 2 weeks later...

ahhh, so much good news in this new development map! this went from 8 stories to 21, the Hess Garage residential tower increased in height, Hilton Garden Inn is back on the board, Hilcorp grew a floor, and International Tower isnt dead!

Edited by cloud713

Just to play devil's advocate here: I think the original height for one of the buildings was 12 stories, and it would be a pretty simple for a map editor to accidentally type 21...

If this would in fact be true, would you think it would be possible to have 580 units in two 12 story buildings?

To me that seems highly unlikely, but two 21 story buildings, more likely.

• Like 1

I too thought "hmmm maybe it's a typo", but then I looked at the number of units, it rose to 580 - up from 518. Me thinks the developer decided to increase the height and number of residential units now that the DT Living Initiative cap was raised from 2,500 to 5,000.

I think you guys are confusing the half or quarter lot buildings like skyhouse or block 98 with the full lit buildings like this 500 Crawford or alliance.

Perspective:

500 Crawford is half the floor count and is slated to house 397 units that is about 56/57 units per floor for the two block project.

Alliance has 207 over 5 floors which confess to about 40 units per floor per block.

Using 500 Crawford would be the more closely alligned situation we get 672 units when we multiply by 56 by 12.

Using Alliance we get (40 x 12) = 480 per building or way more than needed when you take into account the second building.

So yeah, unless they completely change up the rendering, the 21 floor figure should be a typo. 12 floors is more than enough to house 580 units if the entire lot is taken up

• Like 1

So yeah, unless they completely change up the rendering, the 21 floor figure should be a typo. 12 floors is more than enough to house 580 units if the entire lot is taken up

I just asked, and was told it's not a typo. The new plan calls for a 21-story tower for phase one.

• Like 5

I think you guys are confusing the half or quarter lot buildings like skyhouse or block 98 with the full lit buildings like this 500 Crawford or alliance.

Perspective:

500 Crawford is half the floor count and is slated to house 397 units that is about 56/57 units per floor for the two block project.

Alliance has 207 over 5 floors which confess to about 40 units per floor per block.

Using 500 Crawford would be the more closely alligned situation we get 672 units when we multiply by 56 by 12.

Using Alliance we get (40 x 12) = 480 per building or way more than needed when you take into account the second building.

Using the 500 Crawford as the model, 21 stories actually looks pretty close for 580 units on one block.  500 Crawford will house 397 units on 7 floors covering 2 full blocks plus the street/sidewalk right of way between the 2 blocks, so approximately 2.2 full blocks.  397/15.4 full block floors = 25.8 units per floor per block.  580/25.8 = 22.5 floors.

In the existing footprint with two floors of parking included in the height, the two buildings had 16 occupied floors at 32.37 units per floor. If both buildings are 21 floors now, it's 38 floors at 15.26 units each. Even if they only bump the 12 story up to 21, that drops the units per occupied floor down to 23.2. So there are 3 options for what is happening: 1) a typo 2) a MAJOR increase in square footage per unit 3) a skinny tower slapped on top of one of the buildings. I'm hoping for #2, but #1 seems most likely.

Edit: just saw that Urbannizer confirmed. Mea Culpa for the cynicism and here's hoping for#2!

Edited by Alec

I assume it is probably closer to #3.  Most of the highrises we have seen going up cover the full block for a number of levels and then have a skinny portion rise up higher.  If they decided to go from 12 stories to 21, they probably are not going up with the full block.  They may have even lowered the full block portion to the 8 levels we heard of earlier.  I could see an 8 story pedestal with the taller portion going up 21.

Using the 500 Crawford as the model, 21 stories actually looks pretty close for 580 units on one block. 500 Crawford will house 397 units on 7 floors covering 2 full blocks plus the street/sidewalk right of way between the 2 blocks, so approximately 2.2 full blocks. 397/15.4 full block floors = 25.8 units per floor per block. 580/25.8 = 22.5 floors.

You need all that calculation and can't up with the same theory that I did. 25.8 units x 12 floors = 309 units per lot or 618 total units. MORE THAN ENOUGH. That extra math only served to give me head ache. Fact of the matter is two 12 story buildings, Or a 12 and a 10 is more than enough to house the proposed 580 units

Either way it is moot now. Urbanizer verified. So the discussion now is are they changing the building style to occupy more of a skyhouse mold or are they gonna offer palatial sized units. At 21 floors that comes out to less than 14 units per floor per lot. That is a third of alliance

• Like 1

Who knows.. Two 21 story towers is all I care about. Heh

I wonder why they released that hideous 6 floor rendering one month then the next they say they are going for two 21 floor buildings. That's a huge change. A total of 42 floors instead of 20 is a huge difference.

Hopefully it means they are moving away from the garden style look that they previously released to a style more in line with what Hines/ Trammel Crow/ Marquette is building in downtown.

I hope Alliance would change their mind too. Right in the shadow of Houston House and skyhouse they are building that?

• Like 1

I wonder why they released that hideous 6 floor rendering one month then the next they say they are going for two 21 floor buildings. That's a huge change. A total of 42 floors instead of 20 is a huge difference.

If memory serves me, they announced the second tower the day after City council voted to extend the tax credits. Seems like developer always wanted two towers but only IF the credits were available.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
The company said it did not yet have a start date for the second project it is proposing, a downtown complex expected to be built in two phases on about three acres. Camden recently spent $15.6 million on the land.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Camden-bullish-on-Houston-s-inner-city-5461618.php

Funny how Ric Campo, Chairman of Houston First, was also quoted saying, "There's really sort of an urbanization that's been going on across the country for the last 10 years that has finally caught up in downtown Houston."

In that case, shouldn't he propose changing Houston First to...Houston Last? 

• Like 5

Funny how Ric Campo, Chairman of Houston First, was also quoted saying, "There's really sort of an urbanization that's been going on across the country for the last 10 years that has finally caught up in downtown Houston."

In that case, shouldn't he propose changing Houston First to...Houston Last? 

Yeah, it's actually kind of sad how far behind Houston's Downtown development is compared to its competitor cities :(. There are a lot of projects planned, which is very encouraging, but I want to see even more because Downtown Houston has a lot of catching up to do.

Edited by fkp5