Camden Conte: Multifamily At 1515 Austin St.

Urbannizer

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

seems like a waste of space. go up not out.

But development in that area is needed. So i am torn. Was hoping for better. and we lost 4 stories somehwere.... How will they break up the phases on this???

That part of downtown needs development, but this is awful. It doesn't encourage interaction with the streets or sidewalks and is 100% built for drive-in/drive-out living. 

The only thing missing from the rendering is barbed wire on the fencing to complete the Third World look.

• Like 2

Why should we? This is our city. We live it and want the best for it.

Who does not ? but link after link its just bitching , bitching , bitching.. one after the other .. am I trilled by some of these no... but i would take them over a damn parking lot anyday... I would love a more uniform design to the area... I would love for all these delveopers to get togther and say lets work  out  some designs that completmet each others buildings, not look like a hudge pod of random thrown toghetr apts.. but on the same hand I welcome thousands of more people , living in DT, which will encourage  more stores to open DT, which will encourage more high end places to open DT .. which will bring more people on the St  of DT.. as the area population grows the fancy apts will follow.

Yep. We are a city if people who just settle for anything.

According to Moore we shouldn't B#&$H

No according to me.. bitching and moning about it will not stop it from being built, so we should at least be glad it will be one less parking  lot !!!! or we can hope it fall thu at which point everyone can go back to bitching about how DT is blighted with nothing but parking lots

will the sheer bitching never stop

I try not to complain about projects too much, but you have to admit, they barely tried at making this interact well with the street. This is one step above garden style apartments. Okay, that's a stretch, but I just feel like exaggerating ;p

I don't care if this doesn't have GFR. I think everyone would be much happier if they at least disguised the garage better. Would it cure all things? No, but it'd be a big step. That and giving us our 4 floor back! ;)

• Like 5

Son of a B.  I need to try to post earlier. ^^^ This rendering does blow.  I live in Camden City Centre in midtown.  I like the design of these.  Other than that, every Camden seems to suck for one reason or another.

• Like 1

The more I think of this one, the more I think it is a huge let down. No thanks Camden. Try again. This one sucks. Not worth closing the street for!

They're closing the street? I know my memory is awful but I don't remember hearing that.

How do we know that there is no GFR in this development? One rendering of one side of one block in a two block project?? Maybe we could learn some facts before we fly off the handle.

You're right, we don't. But in my opinion, I'd be shocked if there was because its relatively isolated, especially compared to other areas of downtown. Of course, if it did, it'd be a pleasant surprise.

It's on two separate blocks, but it does not necessarily mean they are shutting down the street. Considering this is Leeland, they won't.

The two wings doesn't look big enough to be separate blocks, and the entrance in the middle has a ramp so that would mean the middle street would be closed off. I dunno, I hope the rendering drastically changes.

It may be short sighted or whatever, but interaction with the street around there is probably best avoided at the moment. 

To pull off the kind of transformation of downtown that most here want in some form or another, I think you need to start with stuff just like this to make the "cooler" ideas more plausible in phase two with an already established customer core for the holiest of holy pedestrian friendly street scenes. Lord knows there will still be plenty of parking lots to claim for whatever urbtopian visions might yet spring forth. 

There are too many variables to "master plan" a place like DT Houston, the residential incentives seem like a really pragmatic way to get to a denser, more attractive place, but if it doesn't happen organically, you might be left with 20 years of bad ideas rotting in place. 

Before we all rush to see who can prove their urbanist bona fides by being the first to slit their wrists over this, perhaps we should pause to consider:

1)  We are seeing a rendering of one side of one building.  Given that there are two garage entrance/exits and zero doors shown on this rendering, it's fair to presume this is the "back" side of the building.  For all we know, the other three sides might be urban paradise.

2)  There is a chance this rendering is nothing but a place-holder to represent "planned residential".  The first of the two buildings is no even slated to start construction for more than a year.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1