Camden Conte: Multifamily At 1515 Austin St.

Urbannizer

1 minute ago, MarathonMan said:

Block 330 is getting prepped for Camden’s 20 story residential highrise adjacent to Toyota Center.  Sidewalk scaffolding is going up.  Block 346 is fenced off for staging/construction management.  This project will be good for south downtown!

92A8AA9A-2D87-47E1-99F5-5F0F8A9B48E2.jpeg

Houston architecture enthusiasts appreciate this post.

Anything happening on Block 98? (block west of Marriott Marquis)?

4 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

5 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Nope.

4 minutes ago, hindesky said:

I saw the fencing and trailers yesterday too and thought the same thing about the Camden building but the Red Cross was using this block for a staging yard during Harvey recovery and I wondered if they were just finally moving out?

No.  They’re definitely moving equipment in.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Building faces north to Root Park, pool/parking face south.

The park should expand 1 block north and kill that street in between. Park would become much more substantial... Could spur more development.

Also - I am not a fan of Toyota Center... Would love to see this redesigned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

Will Camden qualify for the tax abatement or did they miss the window?

It will be interesting to see how this works out considering the relationship Ric Campo in his role as head of "Houston First", the super bowl committee,  and an active member of the downtown community and his relationship with Bob Eury's group which set up the initiative program. I have the utmost respect for Bob Eury but it will be interesting to see how this ends once the dust settles. 

I thought it was pretty much settled earlier that they were no longer eligible since the deadline had passed.

What about Marquette Urbannizer? The Downtown Houston website shows a 2Q 2018 start?

A 304-unit, 24-story apartment tower, bounded by Commerce, Jackson, Franklin and Chevenert. The propsoed project is a half-block tower and garage on the western half, with the block remainder as surface parking. 

DEVELOPER

Marquette Companies

TIMELINE

Estimated construction start 2Q 2018. Estimated completion 2Q 2020

BLOCK

• Like 3

I for one was critical of the way they sat back during several cycles when they could have pulled the trigger on one or two different projects that had been announced, in particular the city tax incentive that they applied for initially with this project, because I felt like they had reneged on their opportunity to build what they had  signed up to do. There were a limited number of units that could qualify for the incentive and they were holding several hundred of these units in limbo.  I did say that it made sense to hold up during the middle of the glut and economic downturn to sit on the fence.

It was very frustrating to hear about these projects and then have them put on hold. I'm interested to know how Ric Campo and Trammel Crowe were able to qualify after not meeting the deadline for the tax incentives.

I'm just glad to see this project in a go position.

It will be a fine addition to the southeast corner of downtown joining the growing community around the cathedral.

As of now we have two sky houses and the midrise at the train station that took forever, two new mid rise residential buildings adjacent to the cathedral, the apartment midrise that flanks the pearce elevated and now this project joining the Houston House and 2016 Main. When you think about it thats an amazing amount of growth for an area that was pretty much a sea of parking lots five years ago.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, bobruss said:

It was very frustrating to hear about these projects and then have them put on hold. I'm interested to know how Ric Campo and Trammel Crowe were able to qualify after not meeting the deadline for the tax incentives.

It has been reported that Trammell Crow Co. received an extension on their participation in the Downtown Living Initiative. "Trammell Crow Co. received an extension on its agreement to build a project through the Downtown Living Initiative program. Now, the company is expected to begin construction at 800 Walker early next year, and it must have a temporary certificate of occupancy by May 28, 2020, to receive the incentive, per the Chronicle.https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/08/04/another-downtown-apartment-project-expected-to.html

If the Camden project is still in the program, presumably they also got an extension. (FWIW, extensions in these types of programs are pretty much par for the course, and not just in Houston.

• Like 6