Camden Conte: Multifamily At 1515 Austin St.

Urbannizer

I don't know folks judge for yourself! I mean this is dipping into the uncanny valley... They straight up took this design and retooled it. I'm not going to judge right at this moment, but this may end very badly. They didn't even try to make it look different.

All of them are beginning to look similar to what Hines is planning in Market Square. I've stopped being surprised.

Someone needs to come up with the EB-5 scratch to make the Helix in its original form a reality.

Here are the two sides of the development map that was handed out today. 

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2014-11-13/141105_Double_Sided_Development_Map_Renders_Map_Small_11x17_cond.pdf

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2014-11-13/141105_Double_Sided_Development_Map_Renders_Map_Small_8.5x11_cond.pdf

The three projects approved for the Downtown Living Initiative today were:

Project 30 - Camden Trust- It notes that there will be "20-story, 550-unit residential buildings" So, I can't say for sure whether that's two towers, or a tower and a mid-rise of something like that.

Project 35 - The Cosmopolitan - 7-story, 209-unit residential building

Project 36 - Marlowe - 20 story, 100 unit condominium 

Edited by andre154
  • Like 8

This is already out of date if there are new projects in the block north of Metro and by Toyota Center.   Also 103 N Jackson and Solero, both north of the ballpark.

• Like 1

It sounds like the expanded Downtown Living Initiative (DLI) is reaching its limit. If Camden Phase II qualified under the DLI, I'm very disappointed. The most recent Development Map shows a Q1 2017 start date for Phase II and completion by Q2 2019. It seems that the city is just providing Camden with a free call option on downtown residential - if development works out and rents are attractive, Camden builds Phase II and pockets the subsidy, if it doesn't work out, then they don't build Phase II.

I think it looks great. It looks a little like others downtown but the curved edges give it some northeastern flare. Stoked for some height on that side of downtown...truly ground breaking.

The gazebo in the park that's also in the rendering along with TC garage confirms it's orientation.

Edited by lockmat

I assume for phase 2, the other building on the south block will be identical, correct?  If so, what's that building to the south?

It's kinda cool with the oval shaped corner.

What is that building behind it? And I saw the corner of the rendering for the Hilton Garden Inn (wedge), the design hasn't changed I assume?

Each phase has its own block doesn't it? I'd assume that's the second phase. If so it's oriented differently, thankfully.

Confirmation phase II has the same number of units, but will cost $5 million more, but maybe that's factoring inflation since it will be built later. (p. 38)

http://www.snl.com/Cache/1001184227.PDF?Y=&O=PDF&D=&FID=1001184227&T=&IID=103094

Edited by lockmat
more information

Each phase has its own block doesn't it? I'd assume that's the second phase. If so it's oriented differently, thankfully.

Confirmation phase II has the same number of units, but will cost $5 million more, but maybe that's factoring inflation since it will be built later. (p. 38)

http://www.snl.com/Cache/1001184227.PDF?Y=&O=PDF&D=&FID=1001184227&T=&IID=103094

Well I mean the structure 2 blocks behind it, same height but faceless...

Edit: It looks like a floor or two taller. Perhaps the +5 million? Or is adding a floor a much higher cost. I see that it is directly behind the low rise section of the tower, and not more two blocks. Perhaps a blank design because they have not gotten that far on phase 2?

Edited by Montrose1100

Toyota Center on the left, Garage in the middle, Camden phase 1 on right, and phase 2 in the grey background (far right).

Thank you! The garage was throwing me off.

Phase 2 is another tower... I almost thought phase 2 was the mid rise portion of the picture. Good to see another high rise portion, but like others said, I hope this didn't get the I initiative funds, since it's so far out.

So Phase 2 will fade west, towards Houston House? It would be cool to build that southern downtown park they've been talking about on the two blocks between HH and this Phase 2, so we would have residential towers book ending the park.

Perhaps the added expense for phase two is to account for not receiving the Downtown Living Initiative money on the second building?

• Like 2

A better look:

15759453986_7de5178b99_b.jpg

Attractive rendering, this has me excited. Love the way it meets the park, the only building besides Hines Market Square that I would give a solid A for urbanism.

I don't think it's as similar to The Catalyst as others are saying. The Catalyst puts that awful portico and garage entrance on its best side facing Texas Ave. This seems to put GFR down an entire block, as opposed to Catalyst's one restaurant space.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/sarnoff/article/Company-sees-apartment-market-losing-some-of-its-6005339.php#/0

Camden has also been planning to develop a project downtown, but the timing is less certain.

"Were not prepared to start that now," Campo said. "We're just designing it. We'll see how the markets unfold and see what happens to construction and rents."

• Like 1