Women's Professional Soccer Expanding To Houston

skwatra

AEG and entire owner's group of the Dynamo are bringing a women's team to Houston. They will be the ninth team in the league.

The Dynamo gauged interest in the NWSL a few weeks ago by asking fans to put $25 deposits on season-ticket packages for a prospective NWSL team, and more than a 1,000 fans put deposits on season tickets.

BBVA Compass Stadium sits about 22,039 for Dynamo games, but only about a third of the stadium's seating capacity will be in use for NWSL games.

"We'll make it a capacity of 7,000, which would be lower bowl, suites and party deck and open up the presidents club," Canetti said of BBVA Compass Stadium. "We'll go on sale with season tickets immediately after the announcement to Dynamo season-ticket holders."

A few articles:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2013/12/houston-to-get-professional-womens.html

http://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/article/Houston-lands-National-Women-s-Soccer-League-5056244.php

I'll go when Portland comes to town.

• 2 weeks later...

I think women's soccer has a stronger draw than women's basketball.  Particularly since the women helped usher in the current soccer craze the average American sports playing youth is a member of.  Besides that, as one poster mentioned above there will be internationally known and recognized women coming to play in Houston from time to time.  I mean Cheryl Swoops was fantastic, but take her to Detroit or Denmark and no one would know her (sadly), while Alex Morgan and Hope Solo are international sports figures.

Alex Morgan and Hope Solo are coming to Houston? Oh man, my future girlfriend/wife is coming to town.

Are you serious? Is there somewhere we can look at the Dash's roster? Not only are those 2 gorgeous women, they are extremely talented and would have the makings for a great team. I hope they come to love the city of Houston and the city loves them back, because I feel like their influence on the USA women's soccer team might help Houston's image both domestically and internationally. I would also love to see them play in person and with the Dynamo stadium just a few minutes away from me I hope you aren't joking!

Are you serious? Is there somewhere we can look at the Dash's roster? Not only are those 2 gorgeous women, they are extremely talented and would have the makings for a great team. I hope they come to love the city of Houston and the city loves them back, because I feel like their influence on the USA women's soccer team might help Houston's image both domestically and internationally. I would also love to see them play in person and with the Dynamo stadium just a few minutes away from me I hope you aren't joking!

I am assuming he means as opponents to the Dash, not actually on the Dash roster... Sadly

If they do things like the MLS, there will be an Expansion draft where the Dash can draft x players from each existing team. But each team as the ability to protect 2-3 players, and I am sure Morgan and Solo would be protected. They mentioned Morgan coming to Houston in the article because her fiance is on the Dynamo, but he doesn't even start. She probably has more say in the matter!

• The title was changed to Women's Professional Soccer Expanding To Houston

Archived