I may be completely making this up, but I seem to have a vague memory of there being some sort of Post Office kiosk in the Southeast corner of the parking lot. Does anybody else remember this?

I mailed my wedding invitations from that kiosk in May of 1972.

That's right now I remember, though only ever being there as a child the name was very vague. My main reason of remembering the place so well, my dad loved taking me there and spending time there on Saturdays. That was a good memory.

I wonder if there is any old photos of the place that even Meyerland itself might hold onto as records?

• 1 month later...

I'll always remember the 2 screen GCC theatre. They were HUGE screens one on each side. When the Green Berets came out that gigantic screen blew me away. There is just no comparison with today's rinky dink 25 foot screens that they want you to spend some crazy amount to watch.

Back then it was 3 bits for kids and $2 for adults. I remember turning 12 and they had the cojones to ask me for $2 adult prices to see a movie! The nerve. Over 18 is an adult, not a baby face 12 year old.

Lemme see.....On Any Sunday, Cat O' Nine Tails, True Grit, The GnomeMobile, The Hot Rock, Dr. Doolittle, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Tora Tora Tora, Marooned, Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows, Look Who's Coming To Dinner, GoldFinger, WestWorld, EasyRider, Bonnie and Clyde, Yours, Mine and Ours, The Mechanic, RollerBall, Shaft, 2001: A Space Oddysey, Little Big Man, The Graduate, Midnight Cowboy...so many great movies on a REAL screen.

Almost forgot, does anyone remember that Santa Claus movie that was made in Mexico that scared the living daylights out of just about all the kids that saw it? In it Santa Claus was at war with the Devil. The Devil was in a bright red costume, gigantic red horns and a long spiky tail. He had one of the most evil faces I ever saw. Painted bright red with a lot of black highlight makeup. Found a website that sells dvd's of it and it always brings back the memories.

Edited by SchwinnChopper68

Back then it was 3 bits for kids and $2 for adults. I remember turning 12 and they had the cojones to ask me for $2 adult prices to see a movie! The nerve. Over 18 is an adult, not a baby face 12 year old.

They also had a bargain matinee, $1.00 before 6:00 pm I think. I remember catching shows after school, around 3:30 and being home in time for dinner.

• 4 months later...
some memories of meyerland - circa late 50's-early 60's

separate water fountains - good topic for another thread - I had same experience with my parents as the

poster to this thread who mentioned about it.

At 55, I remember separate water fountains AND laundromats, or washaterias, whatever. My mother yanked me away from a "colored" water fountain when I was about six because I wanted to see what color or colors the water would be when I pressed the button. I envisioned a water rainbow! (The 'colored' water basin was black, btw.) I was further confused when we moved from Ft. Worth to a small town and had to use the local laundromat until our new washer/dryer arrived. In my naivete, I thought my mother could only wash our white laundry there because the sign read "no coloreds." Ah....the innocence of youth.

I didn't know that Meyerland had a grocery store, originally.That whole bldg. is just gone...was looking at it on the historic aeriel maps site. Does anyone know what happened to it? In the early 1990's, I would shop at that open-air mall, it was like a ghost town. The mall link mentioned above is a really good one, shows the original layout of the malls. Below is a link (I've mentioned elsewhere, earlier) containing a early photo of Meyerland.

http://www.wsbellows.com/timeline.asp?decade=1950

click on pic for closeup.

Edited by NenaE

• 3 weeks later...

What is the link to the historic aeriel maps site? I grew up in Meyerland from 1964 to 1973 and do not remember seeing a grocery store there. Perhaps it was before or after my time.

I do however remember the toy store adjacent to Meyer Brothers. A Lost In Space robot for $7.99 and the Time Machine 400 degree cooking machine for $10 that turns lumps of plastic into smelly multi-colored monsters.

If something like that came out today every lawyer in the country would have a wetdream. Aaahh...the good ol days when folks took responsibility for their actions.

6f1bio.jpg

Edited by SchwinnChopper68

What is the link to the historic aeriel maps site? I grew up in Meyerland from 1964 to 1973 and do not remember seeing a grocery store there. Perhaps it was before or after my time.

I do however remember the toy store adjacent to Meyer Brothers. A Lost In Space robot for $7.99 and the Time Machine 400 degree cooking machine for $10 that turns lumps of plastic into smelly multi-colored monsters.

If something like that came out today every lawyer in the country would have a wetdream. Aaahh...the good ol days when folks took responsibility for their actions.

6f1bio.jpg

http://www.historicaerials.com/

I've certainly enjoyed the posts here - as well as the photos. A lot of old memories for me here as I grew in the Westwood Park neighborhood off Stella Link back in the late fifties and early sixties. I do remember the supermarket at the south end of the mall; I believe it was a Heinke-Pilot; I could be mistaken about that, though; it might have been and 'A&P.' Most of the time my Mom shopped the Weingartens on Stella Link up near the bayou. But, on occasion, we'd drive over to the supermarket at Meyerland Plaza to buy our groceries. It was kind of a big deal with us kids, because it was simply something different. I remember Playland Toys, and I suspect that 'Santa' purchased more than a few toys there, too. Anyway, I'm almost positive that there was a bank with drive through service in the parking lot on the north side of the mall that we used back then - Meyerland State Bank, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe someone can confirm (or correct me on) that. It's been over forty five years since I've seen Meyerland Plaza. So, again, thank you all for the wonderful posts here.

The grocery store in Meyerland was a Henke & Pilot. H&P was a locally owned company that was bought out by Kroger in either the late 60's or early 70's. I remember going to this store as a kid. It was huge.

There was an A&P at Beechnut and Bissonet and one in Bellaire where the HEB is today.

But the best grocery store ever in SW Houston was Sacco Bros. We need a thread on Sacco's.

I've certainly enjoyed the posts here - as well as the photos. A lot of old memories for me here as I grew in the Westwood Park neighborhood off Stella Link back in the late fifties and early sixties. I do remember the supermarket at the south end of the mall; I believe it was a Heinke-Pilot; I could be mistaken about that, though; it might have been and 'A&P.' Most of the time my Mom shopped the Weingartens on Stella Link up near the bayou. But, on occasion, we'd drive over to the supermarket at Meyerland Plaza to buy our groceries. It was kind of a big deal with us kids, because it was simply something different. I remember Playland Toys, and I suspect that 'Santa' purchased more than a few toys there, too. Anyway, I'm almost positive that there was a bank with drive through service in the parking lot on the north side of the mall that we used back then - Meyerland State Bank, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe someone can confirm (or correct me on) that. It's been over forty five years since I've seen Meyerland Plaza. So, again, thank you all for the wonderful posts here.

But does anyone know what happened to the actual grocery bldg? It was there in the aeriel maps, and then it was gone (in the aeriel maps).

I'd guess it was torn down, then. They rarely move grocery buildings to museums.

Are you folks talking about the grocery store that was on the south side, facing the loop? If so, I went to a sci fi or gaming convention there in the early 80s. The grocery store had closed, but the space had been rented to Houston Con or some other operation. I remember I was in a Dungeons & Dragons tournament that was held back in a meat locker. I won $50.

The grocery store in Meyerland was a Henke & Pilot. H&P was a locally owned company that was bought out by Kroger in either the late 60's or early 70's. I remember going to this store as a kid. It was huge.

There was an A&P at Beechnut and Bissonet and one in Bellaire where the HEB is today.

But the best grocery store ever in SW Houston was Sacco Bros. We need a thread on Sacco's.

Truth. One of the last Mom and Pops.

I didn't know that Meyerland had a grocery store, originally.That whole bldg. is just gone...was looking at it on the historic aeriel maps site. Does anyone know what happened to it? In the early 1990's, I would shop at that open-air mall, it was like a ghost town. The mall link mentioned above is a really good one, shows the original layout of the malls. Below is a link (I've mentioned elsewhere, earlier) containing a early photo of Meyerland.

http://www.wsbellows.com/timeline.asp?decade=1950

click on pic for closeup.

I think that the grocery store was either an A&P or Henke & Pilot. I may be wrong on this. It was located at the south east corner next to White's. Oh and looking at the picture on Bellow's site I remember Thornhill's Cafeteria as a spot I forgot about on old eating places

The Henke & Pilot (Kroger) was in a large section of Meyerland that faced the loop. It was approximately where Wolf Camera and that corner of the new shopping center is now. That is just an approximate location it might have actually been a bit further south where the parking lot is now. I would have to see an overlay of the old aerial shots with the new aerial shots to be a bit more accurate.

Yes, H&P (Kroger) left the store I believe in the late 70's or early 80's. It was multiple things after that. I remember it was at one time an antique mall. So I am sure it was used for some Sci-Fi even also.

The sad thing about Meyerland is that it was ahead of it's time but allowed itself to get behind the times. The ideal of a walking outdoor mall is exactly what everyone is trying to emulate now. Although First Colony and the Pearland mall have it a bit messed up. You don't need a boulevard and pull in parking in front of the shops.

With the number of air conditioned malls dying it will be interesting to see how many more shopping villages spring up in the old mall locations.

When Ed Wulfe rebuilt Meyerland he had good intentions, just should have rebuilt it as a strolling village rather than a driving village.

I'd guess it was torn down, then. They rarely move grocery buildings to museums.

Are you folks talking about the grocery store that was on the south side, facing the loop? If so, I went to a sci fi or gaming convention there in the early 80s. The grocery store had closed, but the space had been rented to Houston Con or some other operation. I remember I was in a Dungeons & Dragons tournament that was held back in a meat locker. I won $50.

I'm almost positive that there was a bank with drive through service in the parking lot on the north side of the mall that we used back then - Meyerland State Bank, if I'm not mistaken.

I used to bank there. It was later bought out by Nations Bank which later became Bank of America. I believe the building was torn down in the early 90's.

I used to bank there. It was later bought out by Nations Bank which later became Bank of America. I believe the building was torn down in the early 90's.

the bank bldg on the nw corner of the parking lot is still there.

The Henke & Pilot (Kroger) was in a large section of Meyerland that faced the loop. It was approximately where Wolf Camera and that corner of the new shopping center is now. That is just an approximate location it might have actually been a bit further south where the parking lot is now. I would have to see an overlay of the old aerial shots with the new aerial shots to be a bit more accurate.

If you view the historicaeriels site, you can see that the grocery store was there until the new development took place, after the 1980's map, I'm guessing that was directly after Ed Wulfe purchased the property. By using the comparison tool, compare the 1980's map to the 2000's map, it shows that the bldg was "shortened" to make a more rectangle overall mall shape. Part of the store may still be there, but I do know (from the maps) that at least some of the grocery store bldg. sat on what is now a parking lot. I mistakenly thought until recently, when I reviewed the map site again, that the grocery store had fallen many years ago. I never went to Meyerland as a kid, only as an adult in the 1980's-90's. I vaguely remember an antique store.

Several additional points about Meyerland Old School vs Ed Wulfe Meyerland

1. The entire shopping center was demolished except JC Penney and a portion of the ramped 2nd floor delivery system. You can see the ramp between Penney's and Target. So the H&P/Kroger/Antique/Empty grocery store was completely demolished to make room for new construction.

2. The Meyerland State Bank building is still there. It became InterFirst Bank, then RepublicBank, then NCNB, then Nation's Bank, then B of A. Then B of A took a pad site with the redevelopment and left it to become Compass. I believe it is now a BBVA Compass bank (guess who BBVA is? A Spanish banking corporation). Editorial Comment--Why did the bank change names 3 times in the 80's? Dang Republican scally wags screwing up the banks & S&L's....whoda thought they could do it 2x in 20 years.

3. The original movie theatre...General Cinema I & II which became I, II & III (they split the larger of the 2 theatres into 2 theatres to make 3) was torn down to make room for the new movie theatre. I think it was an 8-plex (correct number?) owned by General Cinema. If my memory serves me correctly there are 2 reasons the new theatres were demolished. First, I remember reading that the foundation was shifting causing structural problems. Second, General Cinema went belly up and no one wanted to move into the complex. They then replaced the Cinema w/the section beginning with Circuit City out to the street. You'll notice a difference in the sidewalk elevation.

4. The location of 24-hour fitness was originally a JC Penney Auto Center. They even sold gasoline there. It then became a Firestone after Penney's got out of the auto center business. A concept similar to Michael's hobby was in the 24-hour oriinally, but they went belly up and 24 hour took it over and did MAJOR work like the pool.

5. The location of the Chik Fil A was a Gulf gas station which then became a Chevron station after Chevron took over the Gulf locations. It was torn down as part of Ed's redevelopment.

6. There were no original pad sites except for the remote post office near Beechnut & 610 where LaMadeleine and Escalente is now. Other than that the parking lot was all parking.

7. The concrete pad on the west side of JC Penney which is parking (closest to the entrance by Catalog). Was originally the JCP Lawn & Garden center. They sold everything from lawn equipment to plants to soil to fertilizer to hoses. If I recall it was sometime in the mid-80's when Penney's exited lawn & garden. It might have been earlier or later, but not much.

8. For the newbies here. Target's structure was originally built as a Venture. A K-Mart knock-off out of Chicago I believe. They had the crappiest customer service and even worse merchandise. They then went out of business and K-Mart took over the stores. Talk about going from worse to worser :-) Then K-Mart vacated the Houston market and the building stood vacant until Target finally took it over. They pretty much gutted and modified the structure. However, if you notice when you walk into Target and turn right to walk in front of the registers the flooring looks rough and crappy. That is a result of the original foundation from Venture. I've talked to Target district folks and they want to redo the floor, but right now they will wait until the store is reset to a new design in a couple of years. I hate going into that store because it is so filthy dirty. Plus every time I go in there I find 1/2 eaten groceries scattered around the store. I'd rather go to Super Target on S. Main or Sugar Land. (sorry I digress)

9. And the space above Borders was a Planet Music. This was also a K-Mart owned enterprise. I never understood the layout of having a cramped borders and an upstairs music store. I guess that is why the place never has been leased out successfully.

Another piece of trivia. The piece of land across the street from Chik-Fil-A (where the 2 strip centers with Mens Warehouse and the vacant Chinese restaurant) were originally an Exxon Auto Care Center. If I recall it had 4 service bays. It was a very nice and very large gas station/complete service center. But the a gas station did not fit into the redevelopment.

If you view the historicaeriels site, you can see that the grocery store was there until the new development took place, after the 1980's map, I'm guessing that was directly after Ed Wulfe purchased the property. By using the comparison tool, compare the 1980's map to the 2000's map, it shows that the bldg was "shortened" to make a more rectangle overall mall shape. Part of the store may still be there, but I do know (from the maps) that at least some of the grocery store bldg. sat on what is now a parking lot. I mistakenly thought until recently, when I reviewed the map site again, that the grocery store had fallen many years ago. I never went to Meyerland as a kid, only as an adult in the 1980's-90's. I vaguely remember an antique store.
Edited by DrFood

Thanks for the great info, DrFood! I had forgotten all about Venture being where Target is now.

I have to disagree about the Target being "filthy dirty", though. I go to this one and the S. Main store pretty frequently and have never noticed one being dirtier than the other. They're both clean when I visit, and I've never seen half eaten food. For dirty, try the Wal-mart at Meyer Park.

I agree about Wally World at MP. I wouldn't let my worst enemy shop that ghetto place. I just wonder how true the rumors I am hearing through folks in the Willow Meadows area are......Wally World is negotiating to buy from the Old Poblanos to Luby's and tear that section of the center down and build a SUPER DUPER Wally World. They also want the theatre parcel as well.

I think it is just rumors.....gosh I hope so.

Thanks for the great info, DrFood! I had forgotten all about Venture being where Target is now.

I have to disagree about the Target being "filthy dirty", though. I go to this one and the S. Main store pretty frequently and have never noticed one being dirtier than the other. They're both clean when I visit, and I've never seen half eaten food. For dirty, try the Wal-mart at Meyer Park.