I used the picture from the Houston Freeways website to place where I think some of the stores were located.

MeyerlandStores.jpg

I'm not sure if White's was on the north or south side of Mading's drugs. I know that Penneys was on the west end and that Palais Royal was next to it. I don't remember the exact placement of Lew's, Playhouse Toys, and Tom McAnn, I just know that they were in the general area that I indicated with the arrow.

I remember that Woolworths' had a back door that opened out on the courtyard. They had a few check-out counters there and you could buy large ice cream sandwiches in that area of the store.

Does anyone remember that the Meyerland sign blew down during Hurricane Carla? It fell into the drugstore.

If anyone has a better memory than I do, please share your knowledge.

As a young teenager, I stood outside Lew's Records waiting for them to open anytime a new Beatles single was being released. I loved that place. Didn't it have those old listening booths? I think Lew's and Playhouse were right next to each other on the north side, but I'm not sure which was where.

penney's was there before yes.

Musicman, I'm confused about your answer to sabasushi's question. The current Penny's store is not original to Meyerland Plaza. It was built in the 70's. It is however, older than the current Meyerland Plaza buildings, so maybe you're half right.

Musicman, I'm confused about your answer to sabasushi's question. The current Penny's store is not original to Meyerland Plaza. It was built in the 70's. It is however, older than the current Meyerland Plaza buildings, so maybe you're half right.

she just said the building looks older than those that are there now. and i said it was there before those. no prob

I remember the 2 Cinema Theater. It was either a General or Lowes. It was kind of in the back (west). It closed and was torn down shortly after the Myer Park 14 opened. I also think Oshman's was back there. Actually, that hobby place (Michael's or Hobby Lobby) building is probably the old Oshman store.

I remember the 2 Cinema Theater. It was either a General or Lowes. It was kind of in the back (west). It closed and was torn down shortly after the Myer Park 14 opened. I also think Oshman's was back there. Actually, that hobby place (Michael's or Hobby Lobby) building is probably the old Oshman store.

The theater was originally identical to the Gulfgate General Cinema(and Northline). Had small tilework in front, outside. Bomarang formica bathrooms, beet red carpet in lobby, with stained glass up high.(weird, what I remember) :P Beautiful, in a 60's sort of way, of course. I liked the sloped ramp walkway, in theater. This theater stood longer than the others.

The mall was outside courtyards til mid 90's, I'm guessing.

it was definitely General Cinema--i can well remember the old "movie reel" opening that they used before each movie started...wonder if youtube has this opening anywhere?

Not sure about YouTube, but...

General Cinema Feature Presentation trailers

I spent a lot of time in GCC theaters growing up (first the Northline one, then later the ones inside Greenspoint Mall and the Galleria). I keep thinking I should use the 1960s/1970s version of the Feature Presentation theme music as the Windows startup sound on my computer. :)

I worked in the shoe department of the old JC Penney in high school and made the transition to the new building - must have been around 1970-71. I remember the department manager saying that the shoe department was one of the top ten in volume for all Penney's in the US.

As I remember Palais Royale then moved into the old Penny's spot. Penney's had an automotive building across the street and I bought their tires for the family car with my store discount.

Lew's records was a favorite. As I remember it was in a little cut-through passageway, not on the main perimeter. I think they gave tokens with a purchase and you could save them up for a free record. I still have all my 45's .

Remember the women's topless swimsuit from the mid-60's? One of the stores had one on display on a mannequin in a window that was papered over with peep holes for the adults to look in.

My first date was to a movie at the General Cinema. I got glasses & contacts at TSO.

Haven't been back since about 1975.

• 1 month later...

Houston Trunk Factory!!! Haven't heard that name in a long time.

I grew up in that area as well and spent a lot of time at the old Meyerland as a kid. I remember the game room being very dark inside. and spending a ton of time going to Woolworths with my mom. That was back when kids could just run around the store without fear of being kidnapped so that is what I would do, check the toys section. I remember the diner at the back of the store also. I also remember choirs singing in the middle area of the mall at Christmas time.

I also remember when Meyerland Plaza was "dead" in the 1980s. Some of the tenants I remember were JC Penney, Palais Royal, Circus Toy (I think that was the right name), Walter Pye's, Beall's, TSO, Woolworth's, Kenney's Shoes, and the movie theater. I think there was also an Oshman's in the mall, but I may be getting it confused with Sharpstown. Beall's had a big clock on the outside that always showed the wrong time. Circus Toy had a yellow and green linoleum floor with clowns on it. I always liked going there because they were larger than World Toy in the Rice Village, and I was really mad when they closed. I also remember that there was this really creepy enclosed space that you had to pass through to get from the parking lot to the open air part. I think it was between Palais Royal and the Circus Toy space (roughly where Bed Bath & Beyond is now).

it was Playhouse Toys....back when stores could afford to be locally owned and independent.......

Edited by Native Son

I loved this place in the late seventies because there as a toy store there called "Brown's Toy Store" and they would get the new Star Wars figures in faster than any other store in Houston. I would call them a soon as the commercial for a new toy hit and they would have it in their store already. I used to call around to Toys R Us because we would have to haul ourselves all the way from Pasadena to Bel Air, but no one else would have them yet. Great memories

• 2 weeks later...
I used the picture from the Houston Freeways website to place where I think some of the stores were located.

MeyerlandStores.jpg

I'm not sure if White's was on the north or south side of Mading's drugs. I know that Penneys was on the west end and that Palais Royal was next to it. I don't remember the exact placement of Lew's, Playhouse Toys, and Tom McAnn, I just know that they were in the general area that I indicated with the arrow.

I remember that Woolworths' had a back door that opened out on the courtyard. They had a few check-out counters there and you could buy large ice cream sandwiches in that area of the store.

Does anyone remember that the Meyerland sign blew down during Hurricane Carla? It fell into the drugstore.

If anyone has a better memory than I do, please share your knowledge.

Here goes! I worked via the DECA program at Bellaire High School (school in AM, job after lunch) at Meyer Bros., second floor, Children's Shoe Department. This was from Fall of 1957 through May 1958. Now that pre-dates just about all of you. During school vacations, like at Christmas, I worked 12 hour days, no overtime at 50 cents per hour. Anyway, used to nip out the back door to courtyard and scoot over to Mading's for lunch/dinner. They had great deals and very good cooked to order sandwiches. There were no other stores between Meyer Bros. and Mading's. Since I was working whenever I was there, hard to reconstruct exactly what stores were original. Woolwoth's certainly, Walter Pye's I believe. I recall Lew's and some of the others, but then I continued to shop there through the 1970's, especially at Penny's and Hancock Fabrics, so timelines are a little hard to establish.

Now for a tad of trivia. One day, right up the escalator which topped out directly in front of my department, came riding up all the bigwigs (the Meyer Bros. themselves and their sister) accompanyed by Miss Jane Russell. She was in a very conservative suit, but still a true knock-out. If you don't know who Jane Russell was, get over to Google now or rent a copy of "Outlaw" is there are any.

some memories of meyerland - circa late 50's-early 60's

Uncle Lew's records - got my first 45 there, still have it; it had those listening booths;

agree it was next to Playhouse Toys as mentioned in some other posts

I learned to drive in the parking lot on Sunday's after got my learner's permit - my Dad would

take me over there.

Madings - haven't heard that word for a long time - that was a drugstore, right ?

I recall a Walgreen's at Meyerland with a lunch counter but maybe it was Madings ?

anyway, I remember the cherry cokes there or even regular cokes, that were made

from the syrup put into the glass first, then the carbonated water - really good !

separate water fountains - good topic for another thread - I had same experience with my parents as the

poster to this thread who mentioned about it.

Bellaire HS class of '81 here -- I frequented Meyerland most in the 70's and early 80's.

I loved this place in the late seventies because there as a toy store there called "Brown's Toy Store" and they would get the new Star Wars figures in faster than any other store in Houston.

Brown's was actually in the Maplewood center, down Beechnut from Meyerland Plaza at the intersection of Hillcroft. Brown's was actually a five and dime store, with (as you walked in) toys ahead and to the right, and sundries to the left.

Maplewood was a classic 50's and 60's strip center, with an air conditioned public space in front of all the stores. Brown's was near the middle of the center, near Dr. Wishnow's optometry shop and near the fountain that later was drained and finally removed.

Maplewood went downhill after Braeswood Square opened a mile or so away, but it was still there as of a year ago. It's been redone a couple of times.

some memories of meyerland - circa late 50's-early 60's

Uncle Lew's records - got my first 45 there, still have it; it had those listening booths;

agree it was next to Playhouse Toys as mentioned in some other posts

I learned to drive in the parking lot on Sunday's after got my learner's permit - my Dad would

take me over there.

Madings - haven't heard that word for a long time - that was a drugstore, right ?

I recall a Walgreen's at Meyerland with a lunch counter but maybe it was Madings ?

anyway, I remember the cherry cokes there or even regular cokes, that were made

from the syrup put into the glass first, then the carbonated water - really good !

separate water fountains - good topic for another thread - I had same experience with my parents as the

poster to this thread who mentioned about it.

I remember Lew's Record Shop. I bought all my old Beatles albums there. I remember the listening booths also. I used to love hanging out at Meyerland. I remember the eating area in either Woolworths or Walgreens. I remember their pet store that sold baby aligators. That's where I bought my first ID Bracelot for my girlfriend at Lovett. That was our sign that we were "going steady". I recall the great carnivals that set up in the parking lot, and the great fireworks displays.

Anyone remember Dipper Dan Ice Cream across the street from the big mall?

Those were wonderful days. Although the current mall is nothing like it was. I am thankful that they revived it and it is thriving. I just moved back to the old neighborhood a couple of years ago, and just love it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yah, I remember getting all our goldfish from that store. They had tons of tropical fish of all kinds. I would spend hours looking at all of them. I miss the pet shops of the 60's. Back then you never ever knew what type animal you were going to see that week for sale. Mynah birds, Toucans, Squirrel monkees, piranhas, venomous snakes of all types. The pet stores nowadays have turned into some sort of watered down joke.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember on the other side of Woolworth, near the corner of the other side. There was a shoe and boot store that you could get your shoes repaired, plus next to that there was a pub like cafe called the Rumbel Seed Cafe. I know I am not spelling the name right, but at that time, my dad use to go there every Saturday and have a drink while I drank Cherry Coke. I am 29 years old now, though at that time I was pretty young.

From the website for Bailey Architects:

proj286.jpg

Looks like mid-1980s.

I remember that TSO...

A bit of obtuse trivia... The "pixie stick" man that poisoned

his son at Halloween once worked at that TSO I'm pretty sure.

In fact, he might have done my glasses way back when

I first went there. B) I think he worked there at that time,

back about 1969-1970.

I remember that TSO...

A bit of obtuse trivia... The "pixie stick" man that poisoned

his son at Halloween once worked at that TSO I'm pretty sure.

In fact, he might have done my glasses way back when

I first went there. B) I think he worked there at that time,

back about 1969-1970.

Wow, amazing I remember going to that fun time to play video games. It use to be a Hickory Farms before that or some kind of store? Anyhow wow.

Then if you go back a tad bit farther to 1975, you will see these stores that I list here:

"J.C. PENNEY / MEYER BROTHERS / F.W. WOOLWORTH (with lunch counter) / KROGER / PALAIS ROYAL / Turrentine's / Texas State Optical / Windmill Gift Shop / The Woman's Shop / World Wide Health / The Man's Shop (Herman Melcher) / Hancock Fabrics / Seline's Ladies' Wear / Margo's - La Mode / Oshman's Sporting Goods / Walter Pye's / Thom McAn Shoes / Gibraltar Savings / Eight Js Company / Merle Norman Cosmetics / Coiffures Unlimited / Jaclans Fashions / Cole's Barber Shop / A. Action Safe & Lock / J. Ross Bole Company / Kits Incorporated Hobby / Cobbler's Workshop / Houston Trunk Factory / Vogue Shoes / Motherhood Maternity / Wicks-n-Sticks / Browz a Bit / B. Dalton Bookseller / Graham's Shoes and Apparel / Singer Sewing Center / Corrigan Jewelers / Hickory Farms Ohio / Wyatt Cafeterias / ABC Baby Furniture / Gluckman and Associates / J. Kornblith, Incorporated / Prices's Furniture / Williamson Fashions / White Auto Store / Playhouse Toy Store / Jimi's / Tiny Togs / Diamond Realty / J.J. Pappas Attorney / Parmer Real Estate"

But these are not from my memory, I found these names from the website of:

http://mall-hall-of-fame.blogspot.com/

Does anyone here remember that cafe called RumbleSeed that was in back of Woolworth? I can not find it here in this list?

During the 1980's this cafe was located in back of the store Woolworth next door to the cobbler's shop in Meyerland plaza. My dad would always get his shoes fixed in the shop and go next door to the Rumble Seat to have a drink at the bar. This was also a cafe that had a band to come in and play during the week after people were getting off from work.

I remember drinking cherry cokes there at the bar counter then going over to play Pac-Man at the video game table. They also had a penny gum ball machine that my dad would give me pennies to buy gum.

Does anyone remember this place? Does anyone have photos? I remember my dad got me a shirt from this cafe that I liked wearing, though it was so big it would go down to my feet since I was a little kid.

Edited by Aland11223

I may be completely making this up, but I seem to have a vague memory of there being some sort of Post Office kiosk in the Southeast corner of the parking lot. Does anybody else remember this?

Oh, and my friends and I spent hours in that Fun Time. Thanks so much for the pic.

Sorry for the misspell of the name, but during the 1980's this cafe was located in back of the store Woolworth next door to the cobbler's shop in Meyerland plaza. My dad would always get his shoes fixed in the shop and go next door to the Rumble Seed to have a drink at the bar. This was also a cafe that had a band to come in and play during the week after people were getting off from work.

I remember drinking cherry cokes there at the bar counter then going over to play Pac-Man at the video game table. They also had a penny gum ball machine that my dad would give me pennies to buy gum.

Does anyone remember this place? Does anyone have photos? I remember my dad got me a shirt from this cafe that I liked wearing, though it was so big it would go down to my feet since I was a little kid.

I vaguely remember going there. I think it was called the Rumble Seat.

I may be completely making this up, but I seem to have a vague memory of there being some sort of Post Office kiosk in the Southeast corner of the parking lot. Does anybody else remember this?

i remember it. it was so convenient. never understood why they removed it, because nothing replaced it in the parking lot.