HAIF - Houston's original social media

GRB 2025 and ideas for multipurpose venue

does anyone know when the GRB expansion is supposed to be implemented? im sure its a ways off, but with the Marriott Marquis coming they will finally get that big hotel boost theyve been waiting for to bring in the bigger events, so one would think the expansion wouldnt be too far behind the new hotel?

is it possible ground floor retail is being considered along the front of GRB in the master plan? i know there is supposed to be some in the new Marriott Marquis and in the new GRB garage but other than that and One Park Place there really isnt any GFR around Discovery Green that i know of.

also, my initial motive for starting this thread... i brought it up in another thread when someone mentioned DG not being completely surrounded by tall buildings not giving it a "square" feeling.. does anyone think GRB is structurally strong enough to support any highrises built on top of it? i know they want even more hotels in the long term, besides just the Marriott Marquis, so what better place for another hotel than directly on top of the convention center? it doesnt get any more convenient then that. the convention center is already 5 blocks long. the expansion will add another 5 blocks to the site. imagine a large scale mixed use campus built on top of the GRB. it could have multiple highrises ranging from residential tower to hotel to office buildings and entertainment venues. think about it, if you count the roof space of GRB, there isnt as much potential neighboring real estate anywhere else in the downtown area. it will be over 10 city blocks after the expansion. i wish the planners of the GRB master plan had that kind of vision.

maybe an urban oasis? i know the park is right next door, but like some kind of botanical gardens or something to compliment the park.

at the very least it would be cool if they utilized some of the roof for a TopGolf. all these new downtown residents are going to need things to do besides nightlife and shopping. plus, how cool would it be to hit some golf balls in downtown?

The footprint of GRB is over 14 acres. The Top Golf in Spring is on just over 10 acres (counting the surface parking lot).. you could easily fit a TopGolf on one half of the roof, leaving the rest of the space for the public sports complex, and possibly a miniature golf course at the TopGolf (i think that would be something neat/touristy to do in downtown to help with the "destination" image). The new expansion to GRB will add another 8 or so acres (my guesstimate.. its 4 square blocks and the connecting section across Polk though) to the footprint, for even more sports/entertainment facilities on the roof.

I wasnt sure if this would be possible at first without structural reinforcement, but when i was looking through the GRB 2025 master plan PDF i noticed a few key bits of information. When considering the new expansion, one option was to add another floor of convention space on the roof. Another option called for a roof top parking lot. Surely the weight of another entire floor of convention space, or hundreds/possibly thousands of multi-ton vehicles on the roof of the building is much greater than a TopGolf facility and a few soccer fields, tennis courts, and a baseball field, ect.

(am i the only one that has this enthusiasm for one day smashing golf balls on the roof of the GRB while getting hammered with my buddies, overlooking Discovery Green and the downtown skyline? i think it would be an even more popular location than the ones in the suburbs.)

Yes. Driving ranges with targets in the ground. They have bars and a restaurant too and sometimes batting cages and putt putt golf. They are very popular so it would serve as an anchor to turn the area into a destination. The public sports complex is just icing on the cake for local residents.

333.jpg

http://topgolf.com/houstonnorth/

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

I wasnt sure if this would be possible at first without structural reinforcement, but when i was looking through the GRB 2025 master plan PDF i noticed a few key bits of information. When considering the new expansion, one option was to add another floor of convention space on the roof. Another option called for a roof top parking lot. Surely the weight of another entire floor of convention space, or hundreds/possibly thousands of multi-ton vehicles on the roof of the building is much greater than a TopGolf facility and a few soccer fields, tennis courts, and a baseball field, ect.

I believe those options arose during the "brain-storming" phase and apparently were fairly quickly dismissed.  One suspects they were dismissed early on because they were not actually feasible.

I believe those options arose during the "brain-storming" phase and apparently were fairly quickly dismissed. One suspects they were dismissed early on because they were not actually feasible.

True. I figured it had more to do with them wanting the exhibition space on the ground floor, not 4 stories up. And a ramp for cars to get 100' up just to park on the roof seems a little impractical.