Pre 1940s Tower And It's Contemporary Twin

Marcus Allen

Ok, here is my second query. Which pre 40s tower and it's modern counterpart is the most successful recreation to you? Of course, you all can use any time period, like a mid 50s or 60s tower and then it's modern counterpart. I just thought it would be more of a challenge to find an early 20th century tower with a modern day "twin" . Have fun. And yes, pix would keep this thread alive. ;)

Possibly - probably - the Cosden Building (16-st, 1918) and Mid-Continent Tower, downtown Tulsa.  See link for pics.

They outright twinned the original three-bay building across a recessed center bay to make a seven-bay conglomerate, then cantilevered twenty more floors, and a memorable cap, on the top.  A shame no modern architect has taken up the challenge of using terra cotta to a similar effect.

Yes and yes, thank you posters. That's what I am aiming for. I applaud the early 20th architects for the most part taking the centuries old cathedral style and repurposing it for capitalistic stylistic towers. Then BOOM comes the modern, post modern, NEO modern etc etc etc eras. So we have great " modern versions" of classics in Philly, Pittsburg, ChiTown, NY and Houston. What I wonder is what is the next generation of the Modern sleek towers? OR, because I love Gothic architecture so much, where do we go from Chartres Cathedral, to Wrigley Building, to Houston's BoA building (former Republic Bank) to??? What's next I wonder?

• The title was changed to Pre 1940s Tower And It's Contemporary Twin

Archived