1st Pasadena State Bank At 1001 East Southmore Ave.

SpaceAge

The Grand Lady of Pasadena, Texas Built in 1963

Landmark Our 1st Skyscraper Pasadena Blvd @ Southmore Ave.

Many of you all in Houston only see Pasadena from Hwy 225

be a little adventurous, hey we have been to your hometown!

We have our show place neighborhoods and a few slummy areas,

we are still in the infantcy of Our Developement.

post-2235-1190174720.jpg

post-2235-1190174774.jpg

post-2235-1190175147.jpg

Edited by PasadenaTexan

Note merged Pasadena State Bank topics.

Well Thank You for the merge,I had misplaced the location of this original Thread. I finally found out how to add my photo file to e-mails ( new Camera No Skills ) How do you all add your photos as a picture and not as a few words and numbers to download. I want to add more but I only have 90.65k left to use for photos.

Have a Great Day Folks ,Come on Over to the Dark Side and Visit 2nd largest city in Harris County,Pasadena,Texas Your Neighbors South East Harris County Population 149,000 plus >:)

Well Thank You for the merge,I had misplaced the location of this original Thread. I finally found out how to add my photo file to e-mails ( new Camera No Skills ) How do you all add your photos as a picture and not as a few words and numbers to download. I want to add more but I only have 90.65k left to use for photos.

Have a Great Day Folks ,Come on Over to the Dark Side and Visit 2nd largest city in Harris County,Pasadena,Texas Your Neighbors South East Harris County Population 149,000 plus >:)

I use TinyPic.com to upload my photos. Others here use photo bucket.

Someone somewhere said they were going to redevolp it. Mayor backed it up...Till recently they had bird sounds coming out of the speakers near the trees, The place is still it up. Too depressing. The hospital needs to be demolished, Someone spray painted a picture of a penis on the inside. :( Mervyns closed, SBC behind the bank is gone too. The mall however get's crowded during the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

This building is located near the southwest corner of Pasadena Town Square. It is at the corner of Pasadena Blvd. and E. Southmore Ave. I'd say it is roughly 15-20 stories tall and has the cool new look of the 60s with tons of right angles and straight lines.

The word "Pasadena" was painted on the top and a ghost of the lettering can still be seen.

What is the history of that building?

I have seen it sit idle for over a decade and I think it is such a tragedy that ugly strip malls are popping up for professional services like tax prep, dentists, etc....when it could all go in this building. There is tons of parking already there and the Pasadena Police HQ is within walking distance so crime would be very low on the grounds.

Post any info you have about this place. I'll have to grab my camera next time I go out there to snap some photos for people who do not know the place.

I'd sign any kind of waiver and tour the building if they ever opened it for the public to see it for sales purposes. There have got to be offices in there that are time capsules sealed up as they existed in the 70s and 80s. A sign out front says it is available for use so at least they have not condemed the entire structure.

I just looked back through my photos and I took a bunch around the building site back in July. Here they are...

Great Photos, Thank You for Sharing them with us all I sure am Proud to see so many other folks that Love This Graceful Lady of Pasadena as much as I do. The Resigned former Mayor of Pasadena, John Manlove, could not be moved to answer

my questions about what was in the Future for the Bank Building. I was told by Council Woman Dana Philibert

that the Chamber of Commerce could better answer my concerns but that was a dead end. I will make a point of asking our new Mayor Jack Douglass, at our next Council Meeting. The developer that bought the former Bankone Location has just barely maintained the Landscape. I hope someone has it in the works to revitalizing the Building. Our Skyline won't be be the same without her, my Vote is for City Hall to move in and Save Our Tall Lady of Pasadena.

I was at the Macy's next door last weekend and noticed the graffiti at the top of thebuilding's exterior. That mad me sad :( . I like how you can still see the outline of the old letters that wereon the building for many moons...I recall a certain group of deliquents that were persuaded by an unidentified teenage girlto put soap in the fountain there...while they videotaped the act....HA! :P Good times, Good times.

Pasadena Texan! What a great idea! The city needs to take an active rolein the preservation of this great architectural beauty!

Edited by EatSleepMOD

We had about a dozen 5 gallon buckets up there because every time it rained, the roof would leak in about a dozen places. In addition, the toilets were always breaking every other week. The a/c wouldn't work good in the summer and the heating wouldn't work good in the winter. Basically, the place was miserable and we couldn't get the owner to spend any money on maintenance so we left after our lease was up. I don't think anyone moved into the space after we left.

Wow, this building is more Frank Lloyd Wright-ish than I realized!

I was at the Macy's next door last weekend and noticed the graffiti at the top of thebuilding's exterior. That mad me sad :( . I like how you can still see the outline of the old letters that wereon the building for many moons...I recall a certain group of deliquents that were persuaded by an unidentified teenage girlto put soap in the fountain there...while they videotaped the act....HA! :P Good times, Good times.

[quote Our Skyline won't be be the same without her, my Vote is for City Hall to move in and Save Our Tall Lady of Pasadena.

Pasadena Texan! What a great idea! The city needs to take an active rolein the preservation of this great architectural beauty!

I worked at FPSB through most of the 70's. At one time I managed what was referred to as the West Annex. We were listed as the bank with the most drive-in windows. Started out as a teller when the had only one set of drive-in windows that were located behind the building in the same parking lot. I graduated from PHS in 1970 and we did the fountain thing as well. I graduated with Buddy Jones daughter and they moved on street on Shadow Lane. Seeing the old building brings back lots of memories. I hate see her being torn down. It would be nice if she could be saved.

Edited by KeithMitchell

• 2 weeks later...

For Post #78/ robsmithtx:

The old chemical plant logo was used during one of the past Mayor Johnny Isbell terms. The current city website webmaster probably has a bmp or gif file of it. The city still has souvenir desk flags, etc. that may also be available. Contact City Hall through the Mayor's Action Line (713-475-555) and ask for Wayne Holt, Publications Manager (wholt@ci.pasadena.tx.us).

By the way, the logo can be changed at the discretion of the Mayor, hence, the change when John Manlove took office 7 years ago.

• 4 weeks later...
For Post #78/ robsmithtx:

The old chemical plant logo was used during one of the past Mayor Johnny Isbell terms. The current city website webmaster probably has a bmp or gif file of it. The city still has souvenir desk flags, etc. that may also be available. Contact City Hall through the Mayor's Action Line (713-475-555) and ask for Wayne Holt, Publications Manager (wholt@ci.pasadena.tx.us).

By the way, the logo can be changed at the discretion of the Mayor, hence, the change when John Manlove took office 7 years ago.

The Old Pasadena Dog Pound Site on Hwy 225 before you get to Beltway 8, still has an Original Refinery Logo on it and is also sporting the old sage green paint that once was a signature city color.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
well as some of you know,

mervyns closed

BUT!

STEVE&BARRYS moved in to the north side of mervyns

and there's a sign reading " ROSS COMING SOON"

which, of course will move into the west side of the mervyns.

I do hope they put that landmark to good use :mellow:

Ike did a number on the bank...2866186321_881eeaedfd.jpg

2866193697_96f5443160.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the update - are the damages being repaired/covered?

The windows are now partially boarded. (looks like they are trying to leave openings to vent moisture)

The top of the tower had the brick facing peeled away from the concrete block underneath.

This building is once again in danger.

Thanks for the pic, hate to see the damage, looks like the multi-colored glass panels at the top were lost. This poor bldg. just keeps taking abuse. I'm amazed it's still there. I remember it's night-time multi-colored fountain. As a side note, when private pilots in smaller, single engine planes were awaiting clearance to land at Hobby Airport, they would sometimes get instructions from the control tower to "hold" over the Pasadena Bank Bldg. :) . Here are a few of my photos from 2001.

PsBank1.jpg

PsBank2.jpg

Edited by NenaE

I have been meaning to talk to City Councilmember JJ Isbell, he has spoken to me several time about how the Firm that owns the 1st Pasadena State Bank Building wanted to Restore and reopen. I fear this damage will push him toward tearing her down or he mightpost-2235-1224434867_thumb.jpg be able to get hold of some FEMA money, to pay for Demolition.

oh yea, that was so unfortunate , the building was already in danger, and now this...

• 2 months later...
The windows are now partially boarded. (looks like they are trying to leave openings to vent moisture)

The top of the tower had the brick facing peeled away from the concrete block underneath.

This building is once again in danger.

Yes in deed Our Tall Lady of Pasadena is in Danger. Hurricane Ike has put this beautiful structure one giant step closer to a wrecking ball. A Friend on Pasadena City Council informed me that the Bank Tower has changed hands once more. With our current economic worries clouding our minds, saving great architecture opens the door & makes way for another fast food joint. I have voiced at City Council meetings countless times that something needs to be done at the cities level to protect our architectural Past for Our Future, as have many others.