Radio Discussions board is gone!

djrage

Didn't know where else to post this but I know some of you do post to the boards there. I went to the site just now and found this message:

Effective immediately RadioDiscussions and RadioDiscussions.com is ceasing operation.

We appreciate all of your support over the years.

Please direct questions or comments to: radiodiscussionscomments@gmail.com

This new ownership promised to honor Doug Fleming by keeping the site alive and just a few months in operation under them and it's gone. Sadatio

Thanks for posting this. rage. All I get is a 'not found.'

The Houston board never recovered from the software makeover, plus the topics and rants were very repetitive.

I'm betting someone will revive it or launch a new site. Please post here if you hear of anything or contact me on my blog.

ETA: Oh, yes ... I didn't even know there had been a change of ownership.

I'll miss checking it every day, but OMG!! How will I keep up with the Lubbock radio market in the Texas Radio message board? There are (were?) times when Lubbock radio was the only topic on that board for weeks on end. Seriously, I'll miss some of the regular Houston posters, but not all of them.

Master of the obvious that I am, it seems clear to me that the recent makeover drove a lot of regular contributors away.

Hey Brucie -- Maybe we can keep the Houston Radio discussions going here on the HAIF, at least until somebody starts a new local radio board.   Hint hint.

That would be interesting Filio. At least here you can block obnoxious posters (lol). But discussions would have to be split between the Media and Historic Houston forums, I guess. I think there were probably more HAIFers who occasionally read RI/RD or whatever the name was than the other way around.

In case you hadn't noticed, I hadn't posted in a long time before the makeover. I tried to re-activate my account on the new software and after getting the Captcha wrong about 75 times (sure I did) I finally got a message that I could contact an administrator for help. They ignored my email for 2 weeks so I tried again but by the time they responded, I had concluded the thing was going to die. Registering a new account must have been as onerous an effort as trying to re-activate you old account on the new software. It almost seems like they intended to kill it off.

That would be interesting Filio. At least here you can block obnoxious posters (lol). But discussions would have to be split between the Media and Historic Houston forums, I guess. I think there were probably more HAIFers who occasionally read RI/RD or whatever the name was than the other way around. In case you hadn't noticed, I hadn't posted in a long time before the makeover. I tried to re-activate my account on the new software and after getting the Captcha wrong about 75 times (sure I did) I finally got a message that I could contact an administrator for help. They ignored my email for 2 weeks so I tried again but by the time they responded, I had concluded the thing was going to die. Registering a new account must have been as onerous an effort as trying to re-activate you old account on the new software. It almost seems like they intended to kill it off.

Let's see about getting a separate topic area for Houston radio. 

I had a bad experience with the "new and improved" Radio Info too, but nowhere near as bad as what happened to Bruce. I'm delighted to see HAIF create a Houston Radio message board, and I hope it proves to be as informative and as much fun as the "old" Radio Info boards were. I also hope the word will spread around town so Radio Info refugees will learn of it.

You asked.  We delivered.  We're fun that way.

I also sent an e-mail to Radio Discussions to see if we can work out some way of maintaining an archive of its old Houston posts for posterity.

That would be great!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! I am an evacuee from radio-info/radiodiscussions as well. Good to see a couple of names I recognize here, like djrage. For those interested in a good radio board, I have found a couple that are out there trying to fill the void.

radio-talk.net and radioinsight.com/community

Both are nationally focused, Radio-Talk has been known for its technical and equipment talk, as well as its friendliness toward Part 15 operation. It has recently opened up its forums to include discussion within the top 25 radio markets and general radio related news stories from around the country.

RadioInsight was founded by one of the original Radio-Info trio, Lance Venta. A virtual who's who of broadcasting professionals can be found around the boards of the site. They've both recently seen a huge uptick in use, since the demise of Radiodiscussions and I find them to both have great merits.

Now that I have found TheHaif, I look forward to being a part of the community here and will certainly contribute wherever I can. Happy New Year to all! -Joe

Archived