Krispy Kreme is coming back to Houston!

I've missed their hot glazed donuts.  Glad to see them coming back.

Krispy Kreme is coming back to Houston.

According to a press release Monday, the company signed a development agreement with Dulce Restaurants, LLC, to open a whopping 10 new Krispy Kreme locations in Houston over the next five years.

Soon their donuts will once again go head-to-head with local heavyweight Shipley Do-Nuts and newcomer Dunkin' Donuts, which has been attempting to make inroads in the Houston area this year with three locations.

Dulce also plans on opening 15 shops in Dallas by 2018.

Krispy Kreme closed all of its Houston locations seven years ago, citing a disagreement with franchisees and the company itself.

Currently, you can find prepackaged Krispy Kreme offerings at certain grocery stores and mini-marts, but anyone who has had one of their treats right out off the line knows that that is just not the same.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Agreement-brings-Krispy-Kreme-back-to-Houston-5030536.php?cmpid=hpts

IMO Krispy Kreme and Shipley's are like Pepsi and Coke. To each his own but I prefer Shipley's. That may be 'cause it's what I grew up with. Before I even started school my grandfather would take me to Shipley's twice a month or so in his old Chevy pickup truck.

After he passed my mother said those were some of the scariest times for her. Papa bought his first car in 1933 when he moved from Opelousas to Houston. In the ensuing 30+ years he never quite mastered the transition from horse-drawn buggy to automobile. Oddly, he did better with a stick shift than an automatic transmission. My grandmother forbade him to drive her 1949 Buick with Dynaflow.

Shipley's and mom and pop places are better

Shipley's is good for kolaches, but their donuts are so-so.  Krispy Kreme donuts, other than the glazed are so-so as well, but the hot glazed ones straight off the conveyor are fantastic.  Probably some others would be just as good hot off the press, but you'd have to go at 4 or 5 in the morning to catch them that way.  Krispy Kreme does batches through the day so you can get them hot in the afternoon or evening.

I've tried every mom and pop I've run across and haven't had any that are better than the average Dunkin's or Shipley's.  I've you've got some suggestons, post them and I'll give them a try.

The best mom-n-pop I can think of is Mrs. Johnson's in Austin on Airport Blvd. Yes, get them right off the conveyor belt. Do like Homer Simpson and lay beneath it and let the donuts drop into your mouth. Only heaven could be better because in heaven you wouldn't get fat or have a belly ache. :)

Shipley's is good for kolaches, but their donuts are so-so.  Krispy Kreme donuts, other than the glazed are so-so as well, but the hot glazed ones straight off the conveyor are fantastic.  Probably some others would be just as good hot off the press, but you'd have to go at 4 or 5 in the morning to catch them that way.  Krispy Kreme does batches through the day so you can get them hot in the afternoon or evening.

I've tried every mom and pop I've run across and haven't had any that are better than the average Dunkin's or Shipley's.  I've you've got some suggestons, post them and I'll give them a try.

When I was in high school we used to eat doughnuts at a place off 1959 and 45, it was owned by Cambodians I think. Pretty good. But you're right nothing I can say is particularly better than Shipley's.

Archived