Parkside Residences: 43-Story Residential High-Rise At 808 Crawford St.

largeTEXAS

^ It's only linked to the tunnel because it has a sky bridge to Hess so it's not technically part of the tunnel system. The only residential project that I recall having tunnel connection is the Texaco renovation at 1111 Rusk. I believe the only reason that one has a connection is for 609 Main to have better tunnel access(I think the plan is to connect to BG Group and 601 Travis).

• Like 1

The tunnel system essentially closes at 5pm and serves one main purpose - to service daytime office workers. In addition, tunnel connections are extremely costly - like $30-$40M to install. No multifamily developer will incur that sort of cost.

Retail follows rooftops. Easy as that. As more people move into downtown retail will follow.

Just for clarity: the tunnels are generally open (on week days) until 7pm-ish. They also open at about 6am-ish. They are generally closed on weekends.

• Like 1

No multifamily developer will incur that sort of cost. 

Retail follows rooftops. Easy as that. As more people move into downtown retail will follow.

I do hope that's the case.  Just as in lively city centers all over the world, street-level vibrancy seems crucial in helping neighborhoods thrive and not just exist as places people choose to reside for merely pragmatic reasons.  Ironically, most all the historic images of downtown Houston I've seen show that:  people of all different types, in different sartorial tastes, going in different directions with different urgencies and purposes all making their impressions upon others, themselves, and weaving a collective fabric to the setting.  Perhaps we ought to attribute many kudos to the city incentive program that seems to have really initiated a groundswell of projects and, hopefully, re-acquaint Houstonians with a socially healthier era long since forgotten.  

The chances of impromptu interactions and obervations-of-the-mind are part of what attracts people to live in close environments.  People in cars and tunnels, as useful as they'll always be, just can't offer this.  I hope the tunnel costs indeed stay prohibitive, grocery, street vendor, and retail options grow, and Houstonians of all different ages & backgrounds share a desire or need to cross paths downtown - on foot (or bike) & above surface.

• Like 2

I hope the tunnel costs indeed stay prohibitive, grocery, street vendor, and retail options grow, and Houstonians of all different ages & backgrounds share a desire or need to cross paths downtown - on foot (or bike) & above surface.

When they do cross paths, they'll ll be staring down at their smartphones anyway, trying to connect with people on social media. Edited by fernz
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Uh oh.. Looks like a bunch of contractors trailers moved into this site recently.. Id imagine for the Marriott.. Will this project not happen anytime soon? :/

Well, the May Development Map said construction is to start 1st Quarter 2015...  I think you can come in off the ledge.  ;-)

• Like 4

Are all those offices really necessary for the Marriot construction? Legit question

They are. Many companies are contracted by a developer and the office space is needed. They probably do onsite orientation too for new workers who need to be badged. 

• Like 2

My interpretation of this that I posted in the convention center hotel thread a few weeks ago is that this shows me that the Hess folks are "coordinating construction" with the Marriott folks. The two projects are to be linked by a sky bridge. It seems to me that the schedules will be coordinated in such a way as to make this connection installed at the least overall cost.

I would expect the trailers to move at some point (again, coordinated) when the Hess project starts. The "combined headquarters" will likely be moved onto the lot that will hold the convention center parking garage.

• Like 1

My interpretation of this that I posted in the convention center hotel thread a few weeks ago is that this shows me that the Hess folks are "coordinating construction" with the Marriott folks. The two projects are to be linked by a sky bridge. It seems to me that the schedules will be coordinated in such a way as to make this connection installed at the least overall cost.

I would expect the trailers to move at some point (again, coordinated) when the Hess project starts. The "combined headquarters" will likely be moved onto the lot that will hold the convention center parking garage.

agree with all that... except that it's unlikely to move to the convention center parking garage site...  that is slated to   start construction 4th Q 2014 (before the residential tower).  Perhaps they'll move it to the fenced-off parking lot at Capitol, Rusk and Avenida de las Americas.  But then one wonders why they didn't put it there to begin with ...  kinda odd.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

They will probably move into one of the lower floors of the marriott building. It's common to build temporary offices once the structure comes out of the ground.

• Like 2

Right about what?

I'm glad the trailers are moving, but what was the point of putting them there to begin with?

Right about the trailers being overkill and that something was odd about this situation. Also I've decided to change my opinion on the whole "team-up" opinion between the Marriot and this. This is Htown, land of the parking lot. If they really wanted to put their equipment somewhere they could've been put it in any of the hundreds of empty lots around downtown. 

• Like 1

Are all those offices really necessary for the Marriot construction? Legit question[/

. First off, how funny that you had to post Legit Question after your question. Man, so many of mine on this and other forums are probably dufus status, but I ask them anyway, LoL. Anyway, I understand the question and certainly the response. BUT my goodness, have you seen how many are actually stacked, STACKED up for European or Asian projects? Talk about bureaucracy .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Walked by today. I noted that they have installed chain link fencing and protective tarps on the garage thinking perhaps that they might be doing this in preparation for starting work on this tower.

2chv15h.jpg

But then I saw a guy building a ramp for the construction trailers, so they must be there for a while.

dxz4t3.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...