Parkside Residences: 43-Story Residential High-Rise For Block 98

largeTEXAS

37 minutes ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

there's a sign on this building that says "High Street". Is this a working name, or the real name? All I can think of when they say High Street is the kids from That 70's Show getting stoned in their circle with Hyde talking about a car that runs on water, man.... lol

That's the development company name. 

Block 98 | HSR (highstreetresidential.com)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, OnTheOtherHand said:

For the roof of the GRB, the issue is what loads could be supported. There could be access by elevators inside/outside the GRB and from a bridge to a sculptural tower with elevators/spiraling ramp/stairs at the edge of Discovery Green. Possible ideas are:

• Restaurants/bars around a lawn area with patios overlooking Discovery Green
  • Jogging, rollerblading, and kids’ bike loops
  • Dog park
  • Kite park
  • Mini golf and disk golf (probably not big enough for Top Golf)
  • Amusements, climbing walls, and parkour course
  • Sculptures and murals
  • Shade structures {perhaps solar panels - I think there are already a few)

I also think the general area would be great for a series of urban zip lines spanning between buildings over Discovery Green. Possible end points (and elevations) are:

• One Park Place (500 ft)
  • Hess Tower (460 ft) - maybe using the old wind turbine cells
  • Skanska 1550 on the Green (410 ft and lower heights)
  • Marriott Marquis (395 ft)
  • 5 Houston Center (360 ft)
  • Hilton Americas (320 ft and 300 ft)
  • Partnership Tower (130 ft)
  • George R. Brown (about 100 ft)
  • Marriott Marquis Pool Deck (about 1 00 ft)
  • Final landing on roof of building in Discovery Green - (30 ft)

Perhaps an existing company that operates zip lines could assess the feasibility. It would be a unique attraction for Houston.

I’m sorry we don’t do unique attractions here 🙃

• Haha 8

7 hours ago, Texasota said:

Yep. It's unfortunate that the post office, Cistern, and Orange Show don't exist.

Let’s be honest, are any of these truly unique? I’ve always wanted something here that you can’t find anywhere else. BTW, I love all these places you listed and my original comment was was to be taken lighthearted. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Let’s be honest, are any of these truly unique? I’ve always wanted something here that you can’t find anywhere else. BTW, I love all these places you listed and my original comment was was to be taken lighthearted. 

I took a friend from out of town and my family to the beer can house and they all loved it and thought it was unique. I also took them to Rothko Chapel and half of the group thought it was awesome

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Andrew Ewert said:

God, what a space suck GRB is

This is one of the biggest reasons I support this part of the I-45 reroute. I know I know I know, we shouldn't go too far off topic with this as it has its supports and detractors. Lets leave that to that thread. All I'm going to say is with a buried highway it really opens up a lot of new possibilities with our conference center. I personally think it would be amazing to have that middle part of the conference center become a breezeway type space which would allow one to walk from Discovery Green to the other side. Wow would that change the feel of this part of town. For now, its just a fun dream.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Andrew Ewert said:

Don't hate on GRB until you realize what an ambitious project it was at the time. I would imagine that a day will come in the next decade that sees it razed and redeveloped or at a minimum the roof will be activated.  

ratio3x2_900.jpg

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

I think that Houston First is planning to open the ground floor on the north end open to the ease side and connect and engage eado and eventually the cap park.   

That’s my understanding too

Looks like when the tower crane hoist buckets of concrete it leaks concrete laden water on the Hampton Inn hotel next door. Curious if Andres construction will have to pay to clean this up? The shipyard I worked at once painted a tower crane they bought, it was green and they had it painted it bright yellow. The overspray drifted south during a strong north wind. It got all over a black wrought iron fence and the black hearse from a funeral home next to our yard. Our painters had to repaint the fence and removed the yellow paint from the hearse at our expense.

u0VHoLk.jpg

• Like 8

Interesting tidbit in that Chronicle article:

"We are the only residential tower with internal connection to the Houston tunnel and skywalk system".

Interesting in two ways:  (1) I think this is the first that it's been positively confirmed that the building will be connected to the tunnel/skywalk system.  Presumably, it will be connected via the Hess parking garage/skywalk/Building.    (2) "...only residential tower with internal connection to the Houston tunnel and skywalk system."???  Commerce Towers and Residences at the Four Seasons come to mind.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Parkside Residences: 42-Story High-Rise For Block 98

Oh the days when we all thought this was never going to get built. So much drama. So much speculation. We have certainly come a long way haven't we.

What's the next building we are all irrationally impatient about that has not started yet?

• Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Oh the days when we all thought this was never going to get built. So much drama. So much speculation. We have certainly come a long way haven't we.

What's the next building we are all irrationally impatient about that has not started yet?

Chevron's 50 story high rise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Phase II of Drewery Place.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 5

26 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Chevron's 50 story high rise.

I was promised this tower in 2013. Where’s my goddamn tower, Chevron?

40 minutes ago, Luminare said:

The Museo Plaza 58-story tower.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 1:26 PM, Andrew Ewert said:

I think what I would like to see done with the building is have the other side become as pedestrian friendly and open as the front facing Avenida De Las Americas. But convention centers take space, that's just what it is. Plus the focal length for that image makes it look so much worse than it actually is. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I think what I would like to see done with the building is have the other side become as pedestrian friendly and open as the front facing Avenida De Las Americas. But convention centers take space, that's just what it is. Plus the focal length for that image makes it look so much worse than it actually is. 

Conventions sometimes require moving various equipment, display units, etc. into and out of the GRB.
Space for large trucks and loading docks have to be incorporated into its design, and it would be difficult to make it pedestrian friendly as well. 

This temporary wall popped up in the Hess building garage a month or two ago. It would be the correct location to connect through to parkview. Now they just need to build out over the road to the Marriott! Connect the tunnel and convention center systems together. 

6FA54B30-A0C9-4679-95E3-EC486E823B56.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dbigtex56 said:

Conventions sometimes require moving various equipment, display units, etc. into and out of the GRB.
Space for large trucks and loading docks have to be incorporated into its design, and it would be difficult to make it pedestrian friendly as well. 

From what I understand Houston First does plan to open up that side once the freeway cap is done. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luminare said:

BOTSW Tower

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Interesting tidbit in that Chronicle article:

"We are the only residential tower with internal connection to the Houston tunnel and skywalk system".

Interesting in two ways:  (1) I think this is the first that it's been positively confirmed that the building will be connected to the tunnel/skywalk system.  Presumably, it will be connected via the Hess parking garage/skywalk/Building.    (2) "...only residential tower with internal connection to the Houston tunnel and skywalk system."???  Commerce Towers and Residences at the Four Seasons come to mind.

One Market Square is tunnel connected.

14 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

From what I understand Houston First does plan to open up that side once the freeway cap is done. 

My post was based on the observations of a friend who helps with the logistics of setting up and dismantling the equipment for conventions. According to her, the area under the I-69 overpass is necessary for the trucks to have access to the building. Personally, I know nothing about it, but it sounded logical. 
I'll be interested to see what solution Houston First comes up with.

• The title was changed to Parkside Residences: 43-Story High-Rise For Block 98
  • The title was changed to Parkside Residences: 43-Story Residential High-Rise For Block 98