Jump to content

42-Story High-Rise For Block 98, Behind Hess Tower


largeTEXAS

Recommended Posts

On 10/18/2021 at 5:07 PM, Houston19514 said:

Yeah, only 25 years ago, those same pictures would have had 2-3 times as much parking lot/vacant land.

Late 1970s... 😲😲😲 ... can't image having to walk blocks to your car in the mid-summer heat and humidity with no trees / shade at all... nothing but baking pavement... ugh what a nightmare! 

Houston1978.jpg

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1) Houston Center development tore down a lot. It was going to be much bigger than it ended up.

2) Parking makes more money than most tiny buildings or old houses that were torn down.

3) Zero preservation laws. We are a developer's wet dream and a preservationist's sad tears town.

4) Lots of land speculation that bombed with oil crash. Nothing of note was built in Houston, especially downtown from the time I was 12 until the time I was 25 or so. 

Edited to add

5) 1970s Houston was much different than today's city. The inner loop, especially the East side, was seeing population loss with a ton of white flight. Most things East of Main was seen as the ghetto. This magnified with the oil bust. 

Edited by KinkaidAlum
  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, HtownWxBoy said:

Late 1970s... 😲😲😲 ... can't image having to walk blocks to your car in the mid-summer heat and humidity with no trees / shade at all... nothing but baking pavement... ugh what a nightmare! 

Houston1978.jpg

I worked downtown in the late 60's and early 70's and I parked in underground garages and walked in air conditioned tunnels to the office buildings........

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Talked with the guy on the left who was rigging for the tower crane. He said they were on the 37th floor and this will be 44 floors high.

DUcMN69.jpg

f6qOsj0.jpg

EYFZmFF.jpg

eJ991EH.jpg

Haif says 42 floors, Emporis says 43, and this fellow says 44. Anyone know how to find out what the number actually is?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if it is 42 residential floors with a maintenance floor above and then a concrete ceiling for the maintenance floor that is basically another floor, i.e. the roof. That's the only was I can square it lol

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, jmitch94 said:

I wonder if it is 42 residential floors with a maintenance floor above and then a concrete ceiling for the maintenance floor that is basically another floor, i.e. the roof. That's the only was I can square it lol

That is my thinking, the workers don't care about residential floors, just top of the structure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Haif says 42 floors, Emporis says 43, and this fellow says 44. Anyone know how to find out what the number actually is?

FWIW, the developer's website says it's 43 https://www.trammellcrow.com/en/projects/block-98  If this were going up in Dallas, it would be listed as at least 44 stories, if not 45.  ;-)  

From the renderings, 43 looks right.  Some might be calling it 44 because there might not be a 13th floor.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2021 at 9:49 PM, jmitch94 said:

Why were so many blocks leveled, was it apart of the disastrous unban renewal movement? 

Houston Center primarily. The Texas Eastern Corporation bought 32 city blocks and leveled all of it to build Houston Center, which was one of the largest private development projects ever envisioned. However, only a fraction of that land was ever developed to specification, leaving most of the land as vacant parking lots. Most of those blocks remained undeveloped as late as 2004. Four Houston Center was originally the designation of a 54 story office tower, which was never built. The name was subsequently adopted by the squat office building where the shops at Houston Center are.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, thatguysly said:

The sign on the side says "Highstreet Residential"

That's the name of the company.

Their (Highstreet's) website has this listed as "Block 98".  Not sure if that will be it's permanent name, but it seems likely.  I like it.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nate99 said:

Great shots. Once Skanska's projects top out, you have to get about a thousand shots from every corner of Disco Green. I was excited before, but even I am impressed at what a gem that park and area is turning into. 

It is quite an urban setting with all the highrises, the convention center, hotels, sport stadiums, and and the park amenities. Great place to relax and people watch. Hopefully the city will built the "W" hotel to add to the area.  

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, cityliving said:

WwjWcin.jpg

Dx2E7bp.jpg

 

 

Now if someone could only buy and develop that huge parking lot behind this building, and Six Houston Center can get off the ground, this would be an amazing series of blocks. That parking lot is big enough for a massive 50+ story tower.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Big E said:

Now if someone could only buy and develop that huge parking lot behind this building, and Six Houston Center can get off the ground, this would be an amazing series of blocks. That parking lot is big enough for a massive 50+ story tower.

Half that block is supposed to be the automated parking garage.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2021 at 10:09 PM, hindesky said:

Half that block is supposed to be the automated parking garage.

 

First of all, does downtown really need another parking garage, even if it only takes up half the block? There are literally two more parking garages in the blocks adjacent to this one, one of which takes up its entire block. Second of all, the Mathis Group page that this post points to, which I assume is for the garage, no longer points to anything, so maybe the garage has been cancelled? In the wake of the pandemic, and the large number of people who no longer drive to work, building yet another garage probably made no economic sense.

Edited by Big E
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Big E said:

First of all, does downtown really need another parking garage, even if it only takes up half the block? There are literally two more parking garages in the blocks adjacent to this one, one of which takes up its entire block. Second of all, the Mathis Group page that this post points two, which I assume is for the garage, no longer points to anything, so maybe the garage has been cancelled? In the wake of the pandemic, and the large number of people who no longer drive to work, building yet another garage probably made no economic sense.

It looks like there are 3 parking garages facing this potential garage spot; one on LaBranch (behind this building), one on Walker, and one on Austin st. It would be a literal nightmare if they build a garage there 💀

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Come in off the ledge, everyone.  The block is apparently still owned by the Morgan Group.  They bought it in January 2019.  It appears they may have at one point been looking for "joint venturers, ground leases, sales".  It seems that whatever party was behind the parking garage may have proposed it for part of Block 97 (perhaps to, in part, provide parking for Morgan's residential development?). 

Given that more than 2 years have passed, and all references to the parking garage seem to have been removed from the participants' websites. . . 

And again, it appears Morgan (residential developers) still own the entire  block.

Edited by Houston19514
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Given that more than 2 years have passed, and all references to the parking garage seem to have been removed from the participants' websites. . . 

Yeah, that's what I pointed out. The webpage for the garage is gone, so its probably been cancelled. In any case, the pandemic and subsequent economic fallout have probably dampened the need for anymore parking garages when the ones that are already there are going underutilized.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Big E said:

In any case, the pandemic and subsequent economic fallout have probably dampened the need for anymore parking garages when the ones that are already there are going underutilized.

Of course, that also means it has dampened the need for any more office buildings (and hotels, for the time being) when the ones that are already there are underutilized.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, rechlin said:

Of course, that also means it has dampened the need for any more office buildings (and hotels, for the time being) when the ones that are already there are underutilized.

New office buildings will also have to be built like Texas Tower, or that building that they are building between the park and the Embassy Suites. They will need a large marquee tenant to sign on who offers to lease most of the building immediately and is constructing the building to their specifications. That's what One Market Square is waiting on. Any future office buildings won't be speculative, at least not for the time being.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...