Parkside Residences: 43-Story Residential High-Rise At 808 Crawford St.

largeTEXAS

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Avossos said:

I am encouraged... though soil samples don't mean they are about to break ground... i thought this happened months ahead of construction start...

I'm thinking that all it means definitively is that someone cares about what's down there enough to spend some money to have it analyzed.  That could be:

(a) pessimistic - it is for sale and a potential buyer wants to confirm that their is no soil contamination that they would be liable to clean up

or

(b) optimistic - someone is finalizing the design of their project and needs to verify soil characteristics for the foundation specs

Or somewhere in between. 

FWIW, I recall seeing this lot being sampled before a few years back, closer to the garage in the middle. These guys looked to be working close to the street. 

29 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

If this is just soil sampling I'm not encouraged. They did this several years ago. Then nothing.

2 hours ago, Avossos said:

I am encouraged... though soil samples don't mean they are about to break ground... i thought this happened months ahead of construction start...

Looked back in recent downtown Houston history to see when another major project went from soil samples to excavation. I present 2 pics from the Hines Texas Tower.

WD5sJqj.jpg

3UWMi03.png

• Like 3

Counter point:

On 4/16/2014 at 3:55 PM, talltexan83 said:

It looks like there was some kind of drilling (soil samples?) being done on this site today.  Block was closed to parking.  Any idea if this is related to the high rise or part of the Convention Center hotel construction across the street?

Can somebody please explain why soil sampling is important? I’m purely ignorant on the subject matter and would like to know. 

I assume that the soil sampled a block or two over (Likely sandy loam/clay) would be the same for said property. I doubt the soil changes that drastically from block to block.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wxman said:

Can somebody please explain why soil sampling is important? I’m purely ignorant on the subject matter and would like to know. 

I assume that the soil sampled a block or two over (Likely sandy loam/clay) would be the same for said property. I doubt the soil changes that drastically from block to block.

You might have to get confirmation of what is down there to estimate the cost of excavation. Not sure what kind of variation might exist across downtown or block to block, but I imagine that there would be some serious marginal costs to engineer a foundation to the highest possible spec that could be mitigated by checking to see what you're actually going to be working with. 

Paging Purdue...

• Like 3

Houston is built on layers of sand and clay.  How far down the transition is between a sand layer and a clay layer varies, even within a block, and different soils have different bearing capacities.  Ground water also enters into the calculations if it's there.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

I'm optimistic, look at the emblem on the trucks at the Texas Tower and then the truck here. Same company, they only hire this company when things are about to get built.

Case settled for Hindesky. 👨‍⚖️⚖️💰🎉😎😜

I hope you are correct. If so I look forward to the photos you and ekdrm will post

• Like 4

On 12/5/2019 at 9:17 AM, Twinsanity02 said:

Not that I know of. It's just they've delayed it at least four times. 

Have they really?  Have "they" (meaning the people who will develop and build this building) ever actually announced any schedule or starting date?

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Most of the dates from construction came from the Downtown Houston development maps

Here are some samples: Feb 2014:Est completion summer 2017,  Soil test 4/17/2014,  Urbannizer: 2/20/2015  Start date 2Q 2015, Later start date 1Q 2017, 

More start dates 1Q 2018, then 1Q 2019. Someone in the company is  indecisive or the Down Houston development maps are inaccurate.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wxman said:

Yes, soil can vary that much in a small area, especially when it comes to the weight of these buildings.  Sometimes literally just across the street - that's what happened with Texas Tower and The Preston.  I forget all the details but there was a big enough difference between the two subgrades that they did two totally different foundations.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Sounds like this is moving forward, although not clear if they have final financing if it's only at soil test stage. A HAIFy Christmas gift if it comes to pass, which it most likely will. I imagine these soil tests have a shelf life and have to be redone if a certain amount of time has elapsed. They were probably near the finish line on this in 2015 and then called it off with the energy bust.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...