42-Story High-Rise For Block 98, Behind Hess Tower

largeTEXAS

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, HoustonBoy said:

Will this be the thinnest building in Houston? Maybe even Texas? It looks like it'll give the Hyatt on Congress in Austin a run for its money. 

My money is on the Mercer for thinnest high-rise in Texas. 

I'm really happy this tiny block is being developed into a residential tower. Eventually, It will be nice to see what fills in around the historic district's surface lots. Would love to see some smaller and more interesting residential/hotel there.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

I'm really happy this tiny block is being developed into a residential tower. Eventually, It will be nice to see what fills in around the historic district's surface lots. Would love to see some smaller and more interesting residential/hotel there.

Oh man, how could I forget about the Mercer. I'm hoping downtown gets a lot less glass and a lot more brick/classic architecture.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, West Timer said:

No. More glass. Less stucco/brick/cement. 

The glass looks great and I'll take whatever the market gives, but I don't want downtown to look completely blue. In my ideal world we'll get a couple more 700 Louisiana-calibre towers. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 8:40 AM, Montrose1100 said:

Would love to see some smaller and more interesting residential/hotel there.

Doubt we'll get anything "small". All the other vacant lots around there are huge, full city blocks. Big signature towers ahoy! Either that or a bunch of squat, boxy apartments, like the lots closer to the ballpark and freeway.

On 8/21/2021 at 7:23 AM, West Timer said:

No. More glass. Less stucco/brick/cement.

As long as its not ugly, I don't really care what its made out of. Though glass is decidedly "in", as far as looks go.

Edited by Big E
  • Like 5

On 8/20/2021 at 8:40 AM, Montrose1100 said:

Definitely the Mercer. The HAR picture is just wrong, though:

52_1.jpg

16 hours ago, Big E said:

Doubt we'll get anything "small". All the other vacant lots around there are huge, full city blocks. Big signature towers ahoy! Either that or a bunch of squat, boxy apartments, like the lots closer to the ballpark and freeway.

There are zero full vacant lots north/east of Caroline & Rusk (Historic District).

Plenty of full blocks adjacent though.

I couldn't find dimensions for the Mercer online, but the penthouses are 4,600 square feet and google maps measure distance says roughly 46X100.

Hyatt Centric Austin is evidently 42' wide according to a forum post from 2016 I saw on Google. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...