Parkside Residences: 43-Story Residential High-Rise At 808 Crawford St.

largeTEXAS

16 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Around the immediate perimeter of the park I believe only one plot is left, a surface parking lot between Embassy Suites and OPP. 

The oddly shaped parking lot around the Embassy suites is immediately across Lamar from DG is open, I presumed it was a separate parcel from what the ES owners controlled, but I don't know.  The lot diagonally across the Lamar/LaBranch intersection from the park is a surface lot.  

Fill those in with something tall and you would have a nice "tub" effect. 

• Like 2

On 2/10/2018 at 12:07 PM, bobruss said:

All of the projects you mentioned were developed by parties that have never shown a concern about aesthetics or design. They have consistently put up

poorly designed badly executed projects with no concern for the overall affect they will have on the surroundings. They are just indefensible developers with no sense or desire to create quality projects. For them its all about the money.

On the other hand Trammel Crow is a well respected developer who continually develops well planned and executed projects.

Truly apples to oranges.

I don't have too many problems with HSPVA. Lets face it its a project of HISD, and they are strapped for cash. I'm just so excited that this school is going in downtown and the

ramifications of having 800 energized creative minds roaming around downtown is worth the lack of edgy design.

HISD would have never been able to explain it to the masses if they went out and spent a fortune on this new school when so many others are in desperate need of repairs.

Not quite how this works.  I'm speaking as a former HISD administrator who has had a school built w/ bond funds.  The bond elections to fund these schools was held as a largely separate measure from funding for school repairs.  The school design is largely based on a committee of school stakeholders that meets with the architect to give input on the design. The amount per school was also pre-determined as part of the bond vote. So for example, the new Energy Institute High School (see below), which is also currently being built, has a somewhat more dynamic design, and was funded along the same cycle as HSPVA.

Edited by quietstorm
  • Like 6

56 minutes ago, quietstorm said:

Not quite how this works.  I'm speaking as a former HISD administrator who has had a school built w/ bond funds.  The bond elections to fund these schools was held as a largely separate measure from funding for school repairs.  The school design is largely based on a committee of school stakeholders that meets with the architect to give input on the design. The amount per school was also pre-determined as part of the bond vote. So for example, the new Energy Institute High School (see below), which is also currently being built, has a somewhat more dynamic design, and was funded along the same cycle as HSPVA.

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 3.08.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 3.07.46 PM.png

Good point. In fact thats going up on the corner of Tierwerster and Southmore on the other side of the bayou from me. We almost bought a house on Wichita about two doors from the parking lot.

That is a good example and a fine addition to the neighborhood! Got me on that one. 

So thats where the money went for HSPVA's  more modern design.:)

You would think that the parents of a school like HSPVA would have done the same thing. My son went there and they had a very strong PTO so I don't know who or why but I do know there were lots of discussions and budget concerns.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bobruss said:

Good point. In fact thats going up on the corner of Tierwerster and Southmore on the other side of the bayou from me. We almost bought a house on Wichita about two doors from the parking lot.

That is a good example and a fine addition to the neighborhood! Got me on that one. 

So thats where the money went for HSPVA's  more modern design.:)

You would think that the parents of a school like HSPVA would have done the same thing. My son went there and they had a very strong PTO so I don't know who or why but I do know there were lots of discussions and budget concerns.

We're neighbors (I'm off MacGregor). Have lived in the neighborhood for years.  My kids went to school at the Energy Institute High School site when it was Lockhart Elem and graduated from Carnegie Vanguard HS, which also has a more interesting design that HSPVA, imo.  

North or south?

16 hours ago, quietstorm said:

We're neighbors (I'm off MacGregor). Have lived in the neighborhood for years.  My kids went to school at the Energy Institute High School site when it was Lockhart Elem and graduated from Carnegie Vanguard HS, which also has a more interesting design that HSPVA, imo.  

On 2/20/2018 at 4:05 PM, kbates2 said:

Personally, I like PVA better than that ^.

That's my point. Every school design in the HISD bond is based on stakeholder input/preferences--The HSPVA design is largely based on what the school community wanted. And the new HISD school designs are not "good/bad" based on zip code.  The quality of design is no better for 77002 (HSPVA) than schools in less affluent areas.

Edited by quietstorm
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/26/2018 at 6:48 PM, Urbannizer said:

We're in the midst of a real estate boom and they still can't get this one started. Bet you Hines starts first on their even taller luxury residential tower.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Triton said:

We're in the midst of a real estate boom and they still can't get this one started. Bet you Hines starts first on their even taller luxury residential tower.

my bet is we will see this, Hines, and potentially a couple more (Marquette / Camden 2 / fairfield on main / ?) happen all around the same time... second wave!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Avossos said:

my bet is we will see this, Hines, and potentially a couple more (Marquette / Camden 2 / fairfield on main / ?) happen all around the same time... second wave!

And these appear to be even taller than the first wave.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
16 hours ago, Timoric said:

I vote for a glut of food halls next, eating is good

DEI - Downtown Eating Initiative

Tax credit for new food halls, but they must have ground floor access to the street, and must support a cheap taco stand somewhere in the city

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

What a tease it was when they were spray painting dimensions all over the parking lot.

Would be nice if they could go back to the drawing board and share parking with that nearby parking garage. I walked that building line that they spray painted and its needlessly tight. Plus it was asking to overtake ROW. Off load the parking and make the people who will live here pay a premium for it. If they want to live right next to Discovery Green in Downtown, I think thats a worthy price to pay.

• Like 1