Parkside Residences: 43-Story Residential High-Rise At 808 Crawford St.

largeTEXAS

14 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

So I guess we can all agree this is the next big build out in the city. Seems like a lot of things are taking off again. 

And then after this, the PM Realty building in Midtown. And then maybe just maybe Museo Plaza?

Further in the distance - Midway residential tower at Sakowitz garage, Hines office at Chron site.

• Like 3

On 2/3/2018 at 0:09 PM, mollusk said:

Looks like they'll be using nearly every buildable square inch.  

The remaining sidewalk widths will be similar to what was all over the place before the Cotswold Project and the street rebuilding took a lane (or more) out of a bunch of streets in favor of sidewalks.  For example, the columns for the arcades at the old Texaco building and at the Rice used to be right behind the curbs, and the sidewalks on some of the older parts of Walker are still about this width.

Wow that's insane. I never knew that. I started following the forum in 2000 and remember reading about the Cotswold Project. Crazy how far things have come. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

I've been watching this out of my office window and was bummed at the lack of sidewalk the current markings would create.  I do think the city really needs to revisit the Crawford lanes though....honestly, there isn't that much traffic coming around the corner from the Marquis or from those bypassing Disco Green to justify four traffic lanes ( or 2+2 parking).  They could easily lose one.  Or heck, make it a pedestrian only corridor from Disco Green to the Stadium.  I bet those surface parking lots would evolve into something unique should that happen...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

The renderings make it look just as tall as OPP.

I like the sleek lines and the interplay of colors, but I have a sinking feeling the finished product is not going to be as nice. Oh well, at least it obscures that rather plain looking garage

Why? Isn't Trammel Crow a big time developer who always seems to pull off well executed projects. I'm going give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 4

On 2/7/2018 at 8:44 AM, bobruss said:

Why? Isn't Trammel Crow a big time developer who always seems to pull off well executed projects. I'm going give them the benefit of the doubt.

Nothing against TC. It's just that the colors, materials and design are all overplayed and tired. I fear any design that takes me back to the Days Inn/ Holiday Inn/ Heaven on Earth Hell Hole and I get a feeling that this will look like an updated version of that building. 

And big time developers do have screwups. 

Edited by HoustonIsHome
  • Like 1

Honestly, I think this will turn out as advertised and be a very well done project.  The location is too good being adjacent to Discovery Green and within walking distance to ADLA, Minute Maid and Toyota Center.  Another great thing that was not always the case, is downtown now has several high-end multi-family options that all have great amenities, service, and quality apartment finishes.

This project will have to be up to or exceed that standard of quality.  If not, then future downtown residents will live at the Star, Catalyst, OPP, MST, Aris, or any other future high-rise apartment buildings. If they produce an average or below average product and are a long-term holder it will negatively affect their rental income and cashflow and if they are a seller, it will be reflected in the Sales Price.

This should be a good one, no doubt.

• Like 4

I hope you are right. Yes, this is a good location but being in a good location does not preclude building ugly structures. Think of the Homeward Suites/Hampton inn nearby. Or that performing arts school being built nearby. Think of those two hedious garages built at the train stop across from the star or the huge monstrosity built north of Market Square.

If the price is right people definitely would choose to stay there over the others you mentioned. Budget trumps aesthetics when income is a factor.

• Like 2

All of the projects you mentioned were developed by parties that have never shown a concern about aesthetics or design. They have consistently put up

poorly designed badly executed projects with no concern for the overall affect they will have on the surroundings. They are just indefensible developers with no sense or desire to create quality projects. For them its all about the money.

On the other hand Trammel Crow is a well respected developer who continually develops well planned and executed projects.

Truly apples to oranges.

I don't have too many problems with HSPVA. Lets face it its a project of HISD, and they are strapped for cash. I'm just so excited that this school is going in downtown and the

ramifications of having 800 energized creative minds roaming around downtown is worth the lack of edgy design.

HISD would have never been able to explain it to the masses if they went out and spent a fortune on this new school when so many others are in desperate need of repairs.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bobruss said:

All of the projects you mentioned were developed by parties that have never shown a concern about aesthetics or design. They have consistently put up

poorly designed badly executed projects with no concern for the overall affect they will have on the surroundings. They are just indefensible developers with no sense or desire to create quality projects. For them its all about the money.

On the other hand Trammel Crow is a well respected developer who continually develops well planned and executed projects.

Truly apples to oranges.

I don't have too many problems with HSPVA. Lets face it its a project of HISD, and they are strapped for cash. I'm just so excited that this school is going in downtown and the

ramifications of having 800 energized creative minds roaming around downtown is worth the lack of edgy design.

HISD would have never been able to explain it to the masses if they went out and spent a fortune on this new school when so many others are in desperate need of repairs.

I'm sure the Kinder donation helped.

For those interested.

In 1977, Scott Ziegler and fellow Rice Alum Michael Cooper , founded Ziegler Cooper Architects.

This is a new publication to celebrate this firms work.

Scott Ziegler will be signing a new 400 page book on the firm Ziegler Cooper:

Thursday, March 1, 2018 @7:00pm

Brazos Book

2421 Bissonnet Street

"Beautiful architecture enriches peoples lives, uplifts the human spirit and provides a constant vision of excellence"

Scott Ziegler

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 3