largeTEXAS

42-story High-Rise for Block 98, Behind Hess Tower

Looks like they'll be using nearly every buildable square inch.  

The remaining sidewalk widths will be similar to what was all over the place before the Cotswold Project and the street rebuilding took a lane (or more) out of a bunch of streets in favor of sidewalks.  For example, the columns for the arcades at the old Texaco building and at the Rice used to be right behind the curbs, and the sidewalks on some of the older parts of Walker are still about this width.

• Like 1

measure twice, cut once, less flurf.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Are we sure this wasn't just a couple of HAIFers who just couldn't wait? My money's on Monarch, with technical advice from Purdue.

Lovin_Feat.jpg

• Like 3

They should just ask for the abandonment of that part of Crawford. Its a pretty useless section of street now. Would help with that sidewalk issue because its going to be a tight squeeze on that lot.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

So I guess we can all agree this is the next big build out in the city. Seems like a lot of things are taking off again. 

And then after this, the PM Realty building in Midtown. And then maybe just maybe Museo Plaza?

Further in the distance - Midway residential tower at Sakowitz garage, Hines office at Chron site.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Further in the distance - Midway residential tower at Sakowitz garage, 

Is that a thing?  I mean, is there a proposal for this?

3 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Is that a thing?  I mean, is there a proposal for this?

More idea than thing at this point. My understanding is they are working with the city on it and may have bought the site last year?

• Like 2

Jeez, I have missed a LOT. This was always my favorite resi high rise, I remember wishing so hard it would get built, AMAZING!

• Like 6

On 2/3/2018 at 0:09 PM, mollusk said:

Looks like they'll be using nearly every buildable square inch.  

The remaining sidewalk widths will be similar to what was all over the place before the Cotswold Project and the street rebuilding took a lane (or more) out of a bunch of streets in favor of sidewalks.  For example, the columns for the arcades at the old Texaco building and at the Rice used to be right behind the curbs, and the sidewalks on some of the older parts of Walker are still about this width.

Wow that's insane. I never knew that. I started following the forum in 2000 and remember reading about the Cotswold Project. Crazy how far things have come. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

You have to wonder if they are going to take Crawford down to one lane or just close it altogether.  Cramped space construction logistics are pretty amazing to watch. This one will be cool. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Howard Huge said:

Jeez, I have missed a LOT. This was always my favorite resi high rise, I remember wishing so hard it would get built, AMAZING!

Prodigal son returns

Can someone please bump the rendering so we don't have to look back too many pages? Thanks!

11 hours ago, Howard Huge said:

Whoa you're back!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobruss said:

Can someone please bump the rendering so we don't have to look back too many pages? Thanks!

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mother Teresa

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've been watching this out of my office window and was bummed at the lack of sidewalk the current markings would create.  I do think the city really needs to revisit the Crawford lanes though....honestly, there isn't that much traffic coming around the corner from the Marquis or from those bypassing Disco Green to justify four traffic lanes ( or 2+2 parking).  They could easily lose one.  Or heck, make it a pedestrian only corridor from Disco Green to the Stadium.  I bet those surface parking lots would evolve into something unique should that happen...

• Like 4

Dont think I've ever seen land surveyers plot out a building in that manner. All of those markings will get annihilated very early in construction and they'll have to repeat the work. This makes me wonder if this is for a feasibility study. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bobruss said:

On 9/27/2016 at 1:29 PM, Yoda said:

view1-940x626.jpg

view3_SZ-Crop-940x626.jpg

view3_web1-940x625.jpg

• Like 9

The renderings make it look just as tall as OPP.

I like the sleek lines and the interplay of colors, but I have a sinking feeling the finished product is not going to be as nice. Oh well, at least it obscures that rather plain looking garage

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

The renderings make it look just as tall as OPP.

I like the sleek lines and the interplay of colors, but I have a sinking feeling the finished product is not going to be as nice. Oh well, at least it obscures that rather plain looking garage

Why? Isn't Trammel Crow a big time developer who always seems to pull off well executed projects. I'm going give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 4

On 2/7/2018 at 8:44 AM, bobruss said:

Why? Isn't Trammel Crow a big time developer who always seems to pull off well executed projects. I'm going give them the benefit of the doubt.

Nothing against TC. It's just that the colors, materials and design are all overplayed and tired. I fear any design that takes me back to the Days Inn/ Holiday Inn/ Heaven on Earth Hell Hole and I get a feeling that this will look like an updated version of that building. 

And big time developers do have screwups. 

Edited by HoustonIsHome
  • Like 1

Honestly, I think this will turn out as advertised and be a very well done project.  The location is too good being adjacent to Discovery Green and within walking distance to ADLA, Minute Maid and Toyota Center.  Another great thing that was not always the case, is downtown now has several high-end multi-family options that all have great amenities, service, and quality apartment finishes.

This project will have to be up to or exceed that standard of quality.  If not, then future downtown residents will live at the Star, Catalyst, OPP, MST, Aris, or any other future high-rise apartment buildings. If they produce an average or below average product and are a long-term holder it will negatively affect their rental income and cashflow and if they are a seller, it will be reflected in the Sales Price.

This should be a good one, no doubt.

• Like 4

I hope you are right. Yes, this is a good location but being in a good location does not preclude building ugly structures. Think of the Homeward Suites/Hampton inn nearby. Or that performing arts school being built nearby. Think of those two hedious garages built at the train stop across from the star or the huge monstrosity built north of Market Square.

If the price is right people definitely would choose to stay there over the others you mentioned. Budget trumps aesthetics when income is a factor.

• Like 2

All of the projects you mentioned were developed by parties that have never shown a concern about aesthetics or design. They have consistently put up

poorly designed badly executed projects with no concern for the overall affect they will have on the surroundings. They are just indefensible developers with no sense or desire to create quality projects. For them its all about the money.

On the other hand Trammel Crow is a well respected developer who continually develops well planned and executed projects.

Truly apples to oranges.

I don't have too many problems with HSPVA. Lets face it its a project of HISD, and they are strapped for cash. I'm just so excited that this school is going in downtown and the

ramifications of having 800 energized creative minds roaming around downtown is worth the lack of edgy design.

HISD would have never been able to explain it to the masses if they went out and spent a fortune on this new school when so many others are in desperate need of repairs.

• Like 5

Now thats a thought. Someone could make a fortune with a coffeehouse that sold munchies for lunch,  before and after school, or while skipping class.

2 hours ago, bobruss said:

All of the projects you mentioned were developed by parties that have never shown a concern about aesthetics or design. They have consistently put up

poorly designed badly executed projects with no concern for the overall affect they will have on the surroundings. They are just indefensible developers with no sense or desire to create quality projects. For them its all about the money.

On the other hand Trammel Crow is a well respected developer who continually develops well planned and executed projects.

Truly apples to oranges.

I don't have too many problems with HSPVA. Lets face it its a project of HISD, and they are strapped for cash. I'm just so excited that this school is going in downtown and the

ramifications of having 800 energized creative minds roaming around downtown is worth the lack of edgy design.

HISD would have never been able to explain it to the masses if they went out and spent a fortune on this new school when so many others are in desperate need of repairs.

I'm sure the Kinder donation helped.

For those interested.

In 1977, Scott Ziegler and fellow Rice Alum Michael Cooper , founded Ziegler Cooper Architects.

This is a new publication to celebrate this firms work.

Scott Ziegler will be signing a new 400 page book on the firm Ziegler Cooper:

Thursday, March 1, 2018 @7:00pm

Brazos Book

2421 Bissonnet Street

"Beautiful architecture enriches peoples lives, uplifts the human spirit and provides a constant vision of excellence"

Scott Ziegler

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Around the immediate perimeter of the park I believe only one plot is left, a surface parking lot between Embassy Suites and OPP. 

The oddly shaped parking lot around the Embassy suites is immediately across Lamar from DG is open, I presumed it was a separate parcel from what the ES owners controlled, but I don't know.  The lot diagonally across the Lamar/LaBranch intersection from the park is a surface lot.  

Fill those in with something tall and you would have a nice "tub" effect. 

• Like 2

On 2/10/2018 at 12:07 PM, bobruss said:

Truly apples to oranges.

Not quite how this works.  I'm speaking as a former HISD administrator who has had a school built w/ bond funds.  The bond elections to fund these schools was held as a largely separate measure from funding for school repairs.  The school design is largely based on a committee of school stakeholders that meets with the architect to give input on the design. The amount per school was also pre-determined as part of the bond vote. So for example, the new Energy Institute High School (see below), which is also currently being built, has a somewhat more dynamic design, and was funded along the same cycle as HSPVA.

Edited by quietstorm
  • Like 6

56 minutes ago, quietstorm said:

Not quite how this works.  I'm speaking as a former HISD administrator who has had a school built w/ bond funds.  The bond elections to fund these schools was held as a largely separate measure from funding for school repairs.  The school design is largely based on a committee of school stakeholders that meets with the architect to give input on the design. The amount per school was also pre-determined as part of the bond vote. So for example, the new Energy Institute High School (see below), which is also currently being built, has a somewhat more dynamic design, and was funded along the same cycle as HSPVA.

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 3.08.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 3.07.46 PM.png

Good point. In fact thats going up on the corner of Tierwerster and Southmore on the other side of the bayou from me. We almost bought a house on Wichita about two doors from the parking lot.

That is a good example and a fine addition to the neighborhood! Got me on that one. 

So thats where the money went for HSPVA's  more modern design.:)

You would think that the parents of a school like HSPVA would have done the same thing. My son went there and they had a very strong PTO so I don't know who or why but I do know there were lots of discussions and budget concerns.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bobruss said:

Good point. In fact thats going up on the corner of Tierwerster and Southmore on the other side of the bayou from me. We almost bought a house on Wichita about two doors from the parking lot.

That is a good example and a fine addition to the neighborhood! Got me on that one. 

So thats where the money went for HSPVA's  more modern design.:)

You would think that the parents of a school like HSPVA would have done the same thing. My son went there and they had a very strong PTO so I don't know who or why but I do know there were lots of discussions and budget concerns.

We're neighbors (I'm off MacGregor). Have lived in the neighborhood for years.  My kids went to school at the Energy Institute High School site when it was Lockhart Elem and graduated from Carnegie Vanguard HS, which also has a more interesting design that HSPVA, imo.  

North or south?

16 hours ago, quietstorm said:

We're neighbors (I'm off MacGregor). Have lived in the neighborhood for years.  My kids went to school at the Energy Institute High School site when it was Lockhart Elem and graduated from Carnegie Vanguard HS, which also has a more interesting design that HSPVA, imo.  

On 2/20/2018 at 4:05 PM, kbates2 said:

Personally, I like PVA better than that ^.

That's my point. Every school design in the HISD bond is based on stakeholder input/preferences--The HSPVA design is largely based on what the school community wanted. And the new HISD school designs are not "good/bad" based on zip code.  The quality of design is no better for 77002 (HSPVA) than schools in less affluent areas.

Edited by quietstorm
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2018 at 6:45 PM, Twinsanity02 said:

Around the immediate perimeter of the park I believe only one plot is left, a surface parking lot between Embassy Suites and OPP.