Parkside Residences: 43-Story Residential High-Rise At 808 Crawford St.

largeTEXAS

I wonder how many blocks compose downtown, how many are occupied with buildings and how many are parking lots? Then we can get a sense of how much is filling up etc and how much growth can occur...of course you can tear down old stuff too.

Downtown has 119 buildings over 10 stories. Uptown west of 610 has 103.

Downtown has 99 surface parking lots. To me defined as complete parking or partial parking for strip malls or a lot where more than 10% of the space is parking lot. I like to be extra strict on the definition, it'll make Houston's infill look better.

Then there's an additional 19 lots north of the bayou and south of I-10 with grass on it or former industrial.

Downtown is scheduled to annihilate 28 surface lots in total. -28% surface parking.

• Like 2

Downtown has 119 buildings over 10 stories. Uptown west of 610 has 103.

Downtown has 99 surface parking lots. To me defined as complete parking or partial parking for strip malls or a lot where more than 10% of the space is parking lot. I like to be extra strict on the definition, it'll make Houston's infill look better.

Then there's an additional 19 lots north of the bayou and south of I-10 with grass on it or former industrial.

Downtown is scheduled to annihilate 28 surface lots in total. -28% surface parking.

If/when downtown fills up, where will the office high rises go, midtown?

It will never fill up; Chicago's Loop isn't even full. And they can always tear down old stuff and build taller, just like they're trying to do in Midtown Manhattan right now with the rezoning around Grand Central.

ive read somewhere that the Energy Corridor is supposed to overtake downtown in a few decades, in terms of office sq footage.. not sure if thats true/will happen or not, but who knows.

i suppose Midtown/4th Ward is a possibility/spilling over across Pierce (or maybe Pierce will be gone by then, heh) from downtown.

or they will just pull a Houston and start tearing down the last remaining old/"insignificant" buildings in downtown to build more towers. by the time downtown fills up some of these buildings will be well over 100 years old..

It will never fill up; Chicago's Loop isn't even full. And they can always tear down old stuff and build taller, just like they're trying to do in Midtown Manhattan right now with the rezoning around Grand Central.

Isn't Downtown Chicago area like five times bigger though?

ive read somewhere that the Energy Corridor is supposed to overtake downtown in a few decades, in terms of office sq footage.. not sure if thats true/will happen or not, but who knows.

i suppose Midtown/4th Ward is a possibility/spilling over across Pierce (or maybe Pierce will be gone by then, heh) from downtown.

or they will just pull a Houston and start tearing down the last remaining old/"insignificant" buildings in downtown to build more towers. by the time downtown fills up some of these buildings will be well over 100 years old..

You can't really compare the 50 mile energy corridor or the 55 sq mile uptown to the 2 sq mile downtown.

Closest competition in terms of square feet of building to square mile area is TMC and downtown is still leagues ahead of TMC. When all buildings are considered its over 40M sq feet for TMC and over 60M for downtown.

Uptown is near 30M and the EC is over 20M

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like there was some kind of drilling (soil samples?) being done on this site today.  Block was closed to parking.  Any idea if this is related to the high rise or part of the Convention Center hotel construction across the street?

I saw that too while I happened to be at Discovery Green today for lunch. I'm not sure if it is for this site or if it was for light rail. There were also a bunch of trucks on the Marriott Marquis site today too.

• Like 1

Today is the first time I've seen the rendering for this location. My initial thought is "Houston.....we have residential". Residential is taking hold in downtown. Look how far we've come since the Hogg lofts. I really like this rendering; I hope the finished product delivers the same color contrast.

Thank God for TIRZ. So glad they bumped it up to 5,000 so we'll get more like these.

My thinking is, the skybridge will connet to this project from Marriott Marquis BUT the main purpose of it will be to connect Marriott Marquis to the Hess Tower (which in turn connects it to the rest of dowtown via the tunnels and skybridges) by taking the skybridge that connects to their parking garage.

I think the pool is in that mid section above the garage.

You're probably right. Either way, we still need that rendering!

So Hess Tower is 29 floors. One Park Place is 37 floors. Marriott Marquis will be 30 floors last time I checked and the Hilton Americas is just a little smaller. Now I realize that office towers like Hess have a higher floor-to-ceiling length than residential, but either way, couldn't this be the tallest tower near Discovery Green? OPP does have a large crown though so I'm not sure.

You're probably right. Either way, we still need that rendering!

So Hess Tower is 29 floors. One Park Place is 37 floors. Marriott Marquis will be 30 floors last time I checked and the Hilton Americas is just a little smaller. Now I realize that office towers like Hess have a higher floor-to-ceiling length than residential, but either way, couldn't this be the tallest tower near Discovery Green? OPP does have a large crown though so I'm not sure.

I think it will be shorter than One Park Place. This will be two floors higher, but it has a flat roof. One Park Place is 518 to the tip of its crown, which is very tall for a 37 story residential building. To give a comparison, Hines Market Square is 33 stories, but is only expected to be 369 feet.

• Like 1

I think it will be shorter than One Park Place. This will be two floors higher, but it has a flat roof. One Park Place is 518 to the tip of its crown, which is very tall for a 37 story residential building. To give a comparison, Hines Market Square is 33 stories, but is only expected to be 369 feet.

expect hines' market square to be 32 stories.

• Like 2

expect hines' market square to be 32 stories.

I thought it was 33 stories, but still it is 149 feet shorter, which is a lot for 5 floors. One Park Place is unusually tall for a 37 story residential tower if you compare it to most other residential towers its size. That's why I don't think this one will be as tall.

My thinking is, the skybridge will connet to this project from Marriott Marquis BUT the main purpose of it will be to connect Marriott Marquis to the Hess Tower (which in turn connects it to the rest of dowtown via the tunnels and skybridges) by taking the skybridge that connects to their parking garage.

Maybe they can get the Marriott to build a skybridge to Discovery Green, depositing people right on the little hill. Then no one will have to cross a damn street.

• Like 2