Sign in to follow this  
Urbannizer

Hotel Zaza Memorial City — Katy FWY and Bunker Hill

There's one near Kirkwood and Westheimer. It's not a very big WF though

But it's moving across the street to a much larger space.

med.jpg

http://s24.postimg.org/h0ul5cjvp/med.jpg

Here it its, possibly the final plan for the area. Now that the Air Liquide project is finishing up the Hotel Zaza project is next on the list for Metro National. Ciro's and the tanning place will be torn down and relocated on the property. A fitness center will be added to the back side of the Murphy garage. A sky bridge will be added to connect across Memorial City Way. One final office building will be built on the grassy knoll. Lastly, due to its success at City Centre, the almighty green space will be added to the property. All this should be completed prior to the super bowl. 

• Like 6

Can you imagine the hospital, mall, and bunker hill west being connected in one coherent walkable district? That would be pretty cool.

I mean, one can hope right?

THENNNNNN, greater Memorial City can be integrated into Citycentre along I10 to form one large west Houston district...

We'll call it the WHE8 district. West Houston, East of 8: WHE8. We'll pronounce like 'wait' or 'weight'.

Then we can have this amazing Abbott and Costello routine when we describe the area:

Person: Where do you live?

Me: WHE8.

Person: Sure, answer when you can.

Me: I did

Person: Did what?

Me: Answered your question.

Person: No you didn't. You said wait.

Me: Exactly.

Hilarious Houston Home Humor.

• Like 2

Can you imagine the hospital, mall, and bunker hill west being connected in one coherent walkable district? That would be pretty cool.

I mean, one can hope right?

THENNNNNN, greater Memorial City can be integrated into Citycentre along I10 to form one large west Houston district...

We'll call it the WHE8 district. West Houston, East of 8: WHE8. We'll pronounce like 'wait' or 'weight'.

Then we can have this amazing Abbott and Costello routine when we describe the area:

Person: Where do you live?

Me: WHE8.

Person: Sure, answer when you can.

Me: I did

Person: Did what?

Me: Answered your question.

Person: No you didn't. You said wait.

Me: Exactly.

Hilarious Houston Home Humor.

Would be awesome, but just looking at this area on google maps gives you a headache x.x

It's all so disjointed and none of the other developments work together to make everything cohesive. Not to mention all these areas still heavily depend on the hwy frontage road as if it's some kind of main street...blahhhhh You can clearly see this dependence in this master plan.

• Like 1

for perspective, does anyone know the heights of the newer air-liquid office buildings? is this going in the fenced in area at the i-10/bunker hill intersection or behind dillards?

Sure has taken them a while. Was supposed to start beginning of the year. 

Is that brown area on the map at the corner of I-10 and Bunker Hill still supposed to be a Whole Foods?

That's a lot of stucco

Still looks better than the Dallas ZaZa.

I drove to Katy today and the whole stretch through the Energy Corridor is impressive.

• Like 1

Very uninspiring design to be sure. Hopefully not stucco.

Whole foods is out btw. They could never agree to terms.

Le sigh. If this is the front, it looks as bad if not worse than the Embassy Suites downtown. What happened with the other two prior renderings? They looked great. This one is a drastic downgrade and departure from those. Hopefully the unseen side looks better.

Very uninspiring design to be sure. Hopefully not stucco.

Whole foods is out btw. They could never agree to terms.

Who would with this trash?

Although the 1,500 layoffs probably had nothing to do with that decision...

a fence was being put up between guadalajara and the forest painted parking garages. perhaps another garage is going up for zaza parking?

i'll be back over there in a few days and will try to snap a pic.

• Like 1

This first two pictures are looking at the NE corner of Bunker Hill and I-10 (pretty sure this is where the ZaZa is going)

post-6875-0-55217400-1445221426_thumb.jp

post-6875-0-26414100-1445221374_thumb.jp

This is the newly fenced off area. Any idea what's going in here?

Behind Ciro's

post-6875-0-80389900-1445221355_thumb.jp

Behind Guadalajara

post-6875-0-36411500-1445221405_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Le sigh. If this is the front, it looks as bad if not worse than the Embassy Suites downtown. What happened with the other two prior renderings? They looked great. This one is a drastic downgrade and departure from those. Hopefully the unseen side looks better.

Typical MetroNational / Anslow-Bryant. Ask any architect who has worked with them in the past (Morris, Gensler, etc.) They will all say the same thing. You create a sensible design, nothing outrageous, and Anslow-Bryant prices it into oblivion. Any other GC around town would have brought it in for a reasonable price , but not A-B. That's why everything at Memorial City looks so dull. They have to reduce the quality so much to get the price anywhere close to reasonable. The price isn't the problem, its the GC.

Pretty sweet deal for A-B. The rumor is that they are partly owned by MetroNational, so its sort of twisted. I guess MetroNational doesn't want the hastle of bidding out projects. They definitely pay the price in the end though. A real shame.

• Like 1

The construction fence is going up today, the Murphy building garage is being boarded up on the side that the ZaZa construction will be going on, the road running next to the Murphy garage has been closed and construction barriers are up.  Lots of workers on site today.

• Like 2

This first two pictures are looking at the NE corner of Bunker Hill and I-10 (pretty sure this is where the ZaZa is going)

attachicon.gifIMG_20151018_143910.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20151018_143755.jpg

This is the newly fenced off area. Any idea what's going in here?

Behind Guadalajara

attachicon.gifIMG_20151018_143904.jpg

I think you meant to say the SW corner of Bunker Hill and I-10 (not NE).

Za Za is not going on the corner.  It's going in behind Ciro's and Guadalajara.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

I think you meant to say the SW corner of Bunker Hill and I-10 (not NE).

Za Za is not going on the corner.  It's going in behind Ciro's and Guadalajara.

The first two pictures are looking NE to the intersection of BH and I-10, I'm just not sure what's going there now. You are correct though, it's the SW corner.

That area has been fenced off for a while (since the air liquide center was under construction). Is that where the Whole Foods was rumored to go in?

Edited by 79ta

Aha! It will fit in PERFECTLY with the other buildings. 

Memorial City is the absolute worst. Hope another developer comes in eventually to distract the eyes.

• Like 2

I haven't kept up a lot with Memorial City development, so please be patient with me as I ask a few things:

- Weren't all these restaurants built, in like, 2008? And they're already going to demolish 'em?

- The Ciro's itself was a move from a Ciro's closer to Spring Valley Village (iirc), but what was the "vacancy" in front of the existing restaurant? I thought that was all Ciro's?

- Where was the Whole Foods supposed to go?

- What did the brown space used to be? It looks like there was a Mexican restaurant called La Fiesta and another building to the right of current Ciro's that looks like it was fast food.

I haven't kept up a lot with Memorial City development, so please be patient with me as I ask a few things:

- Weren't all these restaurants built, in like, 2008? And they're already going to demolish 'em?

What restaurants are being demolished?

What restaurants are being demolished?

Well, if that map is anywhere close to being accurate, there's a big gap of just a parking lot where the now-closed Denis' Seafood House is/was. (Maybe it's already demolished. I don't know.)

- Where was the Whole Foods supposed to go?

The area shaded in brown.

• Like 1

If you go into the office at the Treehouse, they have a few models built of the whole development.  In those models, the brown area is shown as a residential high-rise.  Probably in the 20 story range.  They could be outdated by now but that's what they have on display.

Aha! It will fit in PERFECTLY with the other buildings. 

Memorial City is the absolute worst. Hope another developer comes in eventually to distract the eyes.

Yeah, why couldn't they build something more like this beauty?

2im8avo.jpg

Edited by Houston19514

Yeah, why couldn't they build something more like this beauty?

2im8avo.jpg

What Hampton Inn's version of the Granduca? Why not? Slap some blue LED's on that sucker and call it a day!

(Still looks nicer than ZaZa).

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 4

• Guad is the only resturant that will be left standing, Ciros was in the way and will get moved, Denis' Seafood just wasnt makeing money and was paved over

Liberty Kitchen is taking forever to move in to the Rub's old spot

Supposedly the Whole foods deal fell through

The planned green space keeps getting larger, probably because of the sucess at city centre

• Like 1

so this will have apartments too. interesting...

MetroNational, Memorial City's developer and sole owner of the hotel, will dedicate four stories of ZaZa to apartments, 130 in total. In addition to enjoying the hotel's perks, residents can relax in a separate, private pool.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/memorial/news/article/Hotel-ZaZa-Memorial-City-to-bring-chic-vibe-to-6610059.php

• Like 3