Harris County Joint Processing Center At 700 N. San Jacinto St.

Urbannizer

This was approved by voters on Nov. 5th

http://www.pgal.com/media/cache/d4/d416c687aa79c8a538624aa0cf6748a4.jpg

PGAL has completed Programming for the Harris County/City of Houston Joint Processing Center. The primary goal of this project is to combine County and City operations to establish a new level of detainees processing by focusing on directing identified detainees to the appropriate outside community resources in lieu of increasing the jail population while separating out those individuals who require specialized handling from the general population. This new facility will provide: upfront increased medical and mental health screening for all incoming detainees; space for short-term assessment of detainees entering the detention system as well as for those about to be released; eliminate County/City duplication and provide improved services for the public; and incorporate current/future technology such as video visitation while addressing deficiencies in current functions and operations.

http://www.pgal.com/portfolio/harris-countycity-of-houston-joint-processing-cent/

• Like 1

Not sure ... what is the exact location of this facility?  The rendering makes it look several blocks north of the criminal courts bldg., across the street from the red-brick jail facility on the north side of Buffalo Bayou.

Edited by ArchFan

• 11 months later...

http://www.clarkconstruction.com/news/clark-and-joint-venture-partner-selected-construct-texas-joint-processing-center

Harris County has awarded Clark/Horizon, A Joint Venture, the $78 million Harris County Joint Processing Center in Houston.

The three-story center will combine both county and city inmate processing to streamline government operations and the criminal justice process. The 250,000 square-foot facility will contain detainee processing areas, temporary holding cells, medical health services, arraignment courtrooms, a 585-bed short-term inmate housing area, and operation areas for both the Harris County Sheriff’s Office and the City of Houston Police Department.

Clark/Horizon’s scope of work includes the construction of a concrete structure, complete with a brick façade and ribbon windows. The interior walls will contain security glazing at all detention areas to meet jail security standards. The joint venture team also will construct a secure-zone tunnel system under an active roadway to connect the Joint Processing Center to existing and future jail facilities. Additionally, Clark/Horizon will pave a new road on the north side of the facility to provide access to the north entrance.

The Harris County Joint Processing Center is designed to achieve LEED® certification.

The joint venture team is currently is providing preconstruction services; construction is scheduled to begin in April 2015. Substantial completion is slated for March 2017.

Harris County has awarded Clark/Horizon, A Joint Venture, the $78 million Harris County Joint Processing Center in Houston.

The three-story center will combine both county and city inmate processing to streamline government operations and the criminal justice process. The 250,000 square-foot facility will contain detainee processing areas, temporary holding cells, medical health services, arraignment courtrooms, a 585-bed short-term inmate housing area, and operation areas for both the Harris County Sheriff’s Office and the City of Houston Police Department.

Clark/Horizon’s scope of work includes the construction of a concrete structure, complete with a brick façade and ribbon windows. The interior walls will contain security glazing at all detention areas to meet jail security standards. The joint venture team also will construct a secure-zone tunnel system under an active roadway to connect the Joint Processing Center to existing and future jail facilities. Additionally, Clark/Horizon will pave a new road on the north side of the facility to provide access to the north entrance.

The Harris County Joint Processing Center is designed to achieve LEED® certification.

The joint venture team is currently is providing preconstruction services; construction is scheduled to begin in April 2015. Substantial completion is slated for March 2017.

i know many of us had hoped that with the building of the North Canal and wishful relocations of a few facilities (like the Baker St Jail), that we could have a great spot on the bayou to develop.. but it looks like we will have our own Alcatraz for the foreseeable future.. :/

at least it will be LEED certified.. :rolleyes:

what a bummer.

• 6 months later...

Gross. Architects, please stop trying so hard.

The original design was simple and solid. Fit the few brick warehouses in that part of town that still remain. The new design is like a McMansion that doesn't know what it wants to be so it becomes a bit of everything.

• Like 2

So why isnt this in the going up section??

This is a new  building. It seems arbitrary why some things are in these sub-topics instead of the going-up section!!

Can you confirm that this is under construction?

• Like 1

I like the new design a lot better. The old design looks nothing special at all. It could be the exterior of any building. The materials also look incredibly bland! Its so safe looking and looks way to much like its tall domed cousin (you know the building with the dome roof we all despise!)

At least this new design has some interesting looks to it that are different from what you might see downtown. This is very contemporary.

I don't really like the small rectangles pointing out from top of the wall...kind of weird. I also think its a little too boxy. Then again that's always been a big problem faced by many in downtown due to the small block sizes.

Would be nice to see some floor plans.

What will make or break this building will be the finishes and material selection. There is a right way to do contemporary and then there is disaster. I'm looking at you designer who put the metal panel system on the top part of this building! Probably the easiest way to screw this one up is that part right there lol

@KinkaidAlum

Please show me a mcmansion that looks like this? show me a warehouse in downtown that looks like the old rendering? Not to mention everything you wrote made you sound like a movie critic who likes to say witty things without actually talking about the movie itself.

@Avossos

I agree with you. I have no idea why this is buried here. I didn't even know this was even going up!

@BigFootsocks

nope

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

Luminare, in your constant quest to tell people what they should and shouldn't talk about, I think you forget basic skills like reading comprehension.

I never said it looks like a McMansion. 

The original design is simple. A mix of red brick and glass. If you need me to point out a warehouse that has brick and glass, then I think maybe you don't know what a warehouse is...

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, the first design was better, mainly because it made the building interesting by differentiating the façade physically , while the new design simply differentiates the colors and surface treatment, which is always cheap. Still doesn't look terrible, just not as good.

The county prison complex settles its anchor deeper along the bayou.

• Like 3