Eighteen25 Downtown: Multifamily At 1825 San Jacinto St.

Urbannizer

Presuming all of this goes, if someone went Rip Van Winkle right before they imploded the Montagu Hotel and woke up in 2028 downtown, they wouldn't recognize the place. 

Here's hoping all of this is successful. I'm a commuter from the 'burbs, but I've already started lobbying Mrs. Nate to get her used to the idea of living DT after our youngest goes off to college (or wherever) in 15 years or so. 

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 6

They made the gap between the belltower and the rendering look so big, but it really isn't that far from the corner. This area is going to be more built up than the rendering suggest

I'm sure they wanted you to have the full building in the rendering

Yeah it looked like they wanted to give a full view if two sides.

But any way, my point is the area from Jackson to Fannin (apart from the pappas bbq) is going to look really built out. The built out feel dropped a lot going from the hospital to that glass shop on one side and the drive through restaurant on the other.

Im glad that this development is meaty. At least that side will make the drop off not so steep.

I didn't realize the Catholic church owned so much land in the area.

With the area growing and the businesses in shorter buildings like the glass shop going out, how long do you think others like the u haul, the book shop and others will remain?

I know the Bbq place is new.

It would be nice if the law school expanded in the area

Very distinctive and urban. Seems to pick up on other downtown design/material cues (Hilton, Ballet, co-cathedral). It's taller than most other residential projects but not too tall to make it less livable and someplace that urban dwellers would want to live. It's got style. I like it as much as any other residential project we've seen.

• Like 1

Also, it's impossible to believe that they could not obtain a real picture and carefully chop their building onto it.

That would involve hiring a photographer, which costs money.  They went the free route, with a quick in-house render.  Nothing wrong with that.

It's impossible to believe that you couldn't put something that simple together and carefully not post another angry troll message.

• Like 3

Of the six projects proposed, three have been approved for the incentive program, and agreements are pending on the others. Those approved include a 33-story tower planned near Market Square Park, a 38-story building by Discovery Green, and a 10-story structure on the southern end of downtown.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Downtown-views-call-to-many-suburbanites-5332897.php

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like this may be 8-floors and 240 units now. Also, their using the EB5 program, does that mean this will be a condo building?

http://newtelegraphonline.com/houston-eb5-to-nigerians-invest-in-texas-property-get-permanent-residency/

That is one odd article.

It speaks to how the EB5 program helps to finance condos then goes on to describe how it will help finance this "Luxury apartment" building.

Hard to tell actually.

I need to do some research on EB5. First I have heard of this.

EB5 is an immigration visa that pretty much allows wealthy foreign nationals to "buy" a green card, by investing in a job-producing commercial enterprise. In can be anything, doesn't have to be real estate, doesn't have to be condos - it just needs to be for-profit and create jobs.

From a RE perspective, I do agree with Mr. Contreras that it makes more sense for condos, since traditional financing is so easily available these days for apartments. Condos require pre-sales, and that's where the foreign investors come in.

The big news flash to me was that this is a Randall Davis project. It could be possible, that after his Galveston and South Padre projects were foreclosed, he is having a hard time getting bank financing for these apartments, so he is using this creative alternative which he already knows how to navigate.

I'm sorry to hear that Randall Davis has come downtown. It's unfortunate. Maybe he can put a David Addickes sculpture of himself on top. Fill it with artwork from Dr. Peter Browns estate and it will be the perfect example of bad taste for the people in the Houston House, Sky House and 2016 Main to look down upon. I'm sorry but he is what I feared would start filling these empty parking lots on the southeast side of downtown.

I'm sorry to hear that Randall Davis has come downtown. It's unfortunate. Maybe he can put a David Addickes sculpture of himself on top. Fill it with artwork from Dr. Peter Browns estate and it will be the perfect example of bad taste for the people in the Houston House, Sky House and 2016 Main to look down upon. I'm sorry but he is what I feared would start filling these empty parking lots on the southeast side of downtown.

As much as I hate most his work, Randal Davis came to Downtown a long time ago, before anyone ever thought Downtown living could be cool. He developed the Dakota lofts and the Rice Lofts (there may be others I forget) about 15 years ago. And both of those are actually great projects, from RD, believe it or not.

• Like 2