In And Out Houston At 8373 Westheimer Rd.

Marcus Allen

My neighbor told me that In &Out Burger is coming to Houston. Is this true? He was right when telling me about Sprouts and Aldie. Is he right again? AND where is he getting this info.? I keep asking him. But he is one of those who say, "I have my sources.". What the heck does that mean? Thoughts? I knew Trader Joes and Carls Jr. were in Houston only when I surfed here on HAiF, but this guy seems to know stuff months before it happens. Oh and he is a drummer! Not a developer or anything remotely relating to development.

They opened in Dallas a few months ago I think, close to opening two in Austin?  Not hard to guess they'll be coming here.  Eating our Words blog (Press), Food Chronicles, b4-u-eat newsletter, Culture Map, Eater Houston all have reporters/contributors who are supposed to keep on top of these things and try to scoop each other.  Your friend probably is getting the info from one or several of these.

Haif is not the place for breaking news about the restaurant industry, except perhaps in the Heights.

I heard a while back that they would be coming to Houston, but I'm not able to find any verification on that.  I went to In-N-Out last time I was in CA and thought it was about as good as Whataburger, not better, not worse, about the same.  Given that, not sure it'll make a huge impression here except among folks who grew up with it.

Yeah, not a big fan of the food, just amazed that so many Cali. Food chains are making there way here. My bro swears by In and Out. I prefer Carls Jr. I know they pay upper end wages and are Christian based. Oh and they only hire clean cut employees.

Yeah, not a big fan of the food, just amazed that so many Cali. Food chains are making there way here. My bro swears by In and Out. I prefer Carls Jr. I know they pay upper end wages and are Christian based. Oh and they only hire clean cut employees.

They're going where the growth is.  California is saturated and stagnant.

• 3 weeks later...

Its different than Whataburger, and "foreign" so that makes it special.  When I visit LA (hopefully next year to see relatives) I'll grab a bite at one.  I won't wait in line for 2 hours though.  I will wait in line at a non-franchise burger joint that's known for grand burgers (like some of the places that have popped up recently around town).

Its different than Whataburger, and "foreign" so that makes it special.  When I visit LA (hopefully next year to see relatives) I'll grab a bite at one.  I won't wait in line for 2 hours though.  I will wait in line at a non-franchise burger joint that's known for grand burgers (like some of the places that have popped up recently around town).

I doubt you would have to wait any longer than other franchises.  In the bay area, at least, they're all over and it's just like going to any other fast food place.

^Saying I'll have to wait in line for 2 hours if one ever opened here in Houston.  And I'll never do that for a hamburger!

Is it expected to be that bad when one opens here?  i guess it might given all the California license plates I've been seeing around town.

They did when the one in Dallas opened.  Maybe not 2 hours, but even waiting 30 minutes in a line just to order at ANY fastfood establishment is beyond absurd.  But then people camp for a week and miss school/work/personal events just to get a gaming console/ipad/ipod etc.  I'm not one of those kind of people.

• 1 month later...

Headline: In-N-Out Burger snubs Houston for yet another new Texas city: Why the fast food cult fears H-Town

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/01-23-14-in-n-out-burger-snubs-houston-for-yet-another-new-texas-city-why-the-fast-food-cult-fears-h-town/

As far as Houston is concerned, we do hope to be there in the future but we are not currently looking at any opportunities there.

• 4 weeks later...

They just recently pulled out of the Houston market, unfortunately they were not ready to compete with Whatabruger. They had a PAD under contract out by Willowbrook Mall, but never pulled the trigger. Bummer! 

Source: I am a tenant rep restaurant broker. 

They just recently pulled out of the Houston market, unfortunately they were not ready to compete with Whatabruger. They had a PAD under contract out by Willowbrook Mall, but never pulled the trigger. Bummer!

Source: I am a tenant rep restaurant broker.

Aren't they already competing with Whataburger in multiple markets? What's different about Houston?

Better than average fast food.  Not as good as Whataburger at all but much cheaper.

I agree. Tried IN & Out two weeks ago in Austin. The onions overpowered the entire burger and the fries didn't have much taste to them (not fresh I guess), but I will try it again.

Living in LA for 20 yrs before moving back to my hometown of HTown, everybody raged out there about In and Out. My son, who is in college 2nd year, even works there because they pay premium wages for clean cut employees. He just started in Jan. And already makes 12.50 an hour! I must say, I am not really impressed with there product. The fries are only decent when right out of the fryer, and any attempt to reheat them fails miserably. I am more a grilled burger type of guy ( think BK and Carls Jr), so a griddle burger must meet certain standards for me. IandO just doesn't meet it. I agree with an above post, the onions overpower it. So many people in LA get off on ordering from the secret menu. Well, for me, secret or not, if it doesn't taste good, I don't want it. The size of the burger is smaller than most competitors, and tends to be greasy. That's my 2 cents worth.

• 2 years later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/01/31/in-n-out-burger-closing-on-land-in-houston.html

In-N-Out Burger, an Irvine, California-based burger chain with a cult following, will soon close on land in Houston, CBRE's Jazz Hamilton said.

The company is closing on multiple sites in Houston and will announce its entry into the Bayou City this year, said Hamilton, who was speaking at CBRE's press luncheon on Jan. 31. Rumors of In-N-Out Burger mulling a Houston opening have been circulating for years.

"This time, they're doing it," Hamilton said. "You’ll see them closing (on sites) quietly, and then all of the sudden, they’ll start building all at once."

• 1 month later...

The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation also listed in their AB project search engine that In-N-Out is reportedly building a 126,000 sq. ft. processing and distribution facility in Lancaster, which is part of the quartet of "Best Southwest" suburbs south of Dallas. They're estimating completion by Nov 2017, but I haven't found a credible news article about this.

Obviously, they're building this facility with an expansion to Houston in mind since the current facility is well within the Metroplex as opposed to Lancaster which is right on the edge of Dallas County on the way to Corsicana. No signs of any future Houston In-N-Outs...yet.

• 3 months later...

Looks like In N Out has acquired land at 8373 Westheimer Rd--just searched "In N Out" on HCAD. The special warranty deed is recorded as document no. RP-2017-221929 in the Harris County Real Property Records.

http://hcad.org/property-search/real-property/real-property-search-by-owner-name/

Not sure if this is appropriate for 'Going Up.'

Edited to add recording information on vesting deed..

Don't understand the hype around this place. Maybe it's different in California, but I tried it in Dallas and was not impressed. The burgers were fine (not any better than fine), but the fries were terrible. A class below almost every other non-McDonalds/Burger King/Jack In The Box burger joint in my opinion. And the lines will be around the block for days when it opens.

Archived