James Coney Island wants to be known as JCI Grill

Have been in marketing for some years now. Sigh. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Look at Coca Cola. Although they have diversified their market, the logo is pretty much the same since the 1800s. I get very skeptical when logos change, especially when they change every five years. I certainly understand marketing to a younger audience, generation wise, I mean. BUT, when it changes every couple of years, and franchisees are expected to fork over the thousands to change with the corporate vision, I am like, Red Flag!

^Exactly.  And how the heck is James Coney Island a "grill"?  Seems to be a lot of grills around town.  I think they think that by adding that word people will think "fresh" "healthy" "good for you"

Waste of money.  They could have paid their employees more and posted that to the Chronicle and probably gotten more foottraffic off of that than doing this (and likely paying an add agency a lot of money to figure this out).

Have been in marketing for some years now. Sigh. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Look at Coca Cola. Although they have diversified their market, the logo is pretty much the same since the 1800s. I get very skeptical when logos change, especially when they change every five years. I certainly understand marketing to a younger audience, generation wise, I mean. BUT, when it changes every couple of years, and franchisees are expected to fork over the thousands to change with the corporate vision, I am like, Red Flag!

Yeah.  I've seen this sort of thing a lot over my career and it's usually someone new in upper management trying to put a band-aid on a gunshot would.  Upper level managers, particularly new ones, seem to feel that they have to do something, even if it's the wrong thing, rather than stay the course. 

Anyone know if they've had a recent change in management?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Upper level managers, particularly new ones, seem to feel that they have to do something, even if it's the wrong thing, rather than stay the course. 

Anyone know if they've had a recent change in management?

More like trying to perform major surgery on a hangnail. Dammit! Don't mess with my James' Coney Island. It's been fine for 90 years. That's where I go when I want a chili-cheese dog (actually I buy them in threes) and it is always where I will go unless some newbie screws things up.

• 10 years later...

It's probably time to do a post-mortem on the "JCI Grill" experiment. 

JCI Grill president on restaurant closures, Houston suburban expansion (houstonchronicle.com)

This article from last year kind of brings home everything that's happened since this thread started. That article makes repeated references to JCI Grill as well, but I saw something different on my most recent visit.

My family went to the location at Meyerland around the lunch rush on Christmas Eve and business was brisk both in the drive-thru and in the restaurant. There were several families there having lunch and exchanging gifts along with smaller parties. It wasn't completely packed, but business was certainly steady.

The folks at the counter were on top of their game and management was actively working back in the kitchen to keep the momentum going. They gave us "Coney Caps" for everyone to have during the meal since they saw I had kids.

I had to get my standard Walker Street / Houstonian / whatever it's called now and tamales with chili cheese with Coney Delaware Punch. The taste was still there for just about everything.

I lingered. The fact that I have two girls 5 and younger also helped, but I saw others doing the same and taking their time there. I was also happy to notice something that was not super present: that JCI Grill branding. Only saw a couple of mentions immediately at the front door but everything else had appeared to have reverted back to "James Coney Island". The Coney Caps were even older in terms of design and had the pre JCI Grill logo on it which was a nice touch.

If the experience I had at Meyerland is what's taking place at their remaining locations, then they'll be fine. If they can expand with the smaller-sized concept that they'd been hinting at into the suburbs and take that quality with them - they'll be even better off.

20240105_100444.jpg

20231224_124932.jpg

20231224_124925.jpg

20231224_122701.jpg

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
Photos
  • Like 1

I went to the Richmond Ave at S. Shepherd way before they closed and while they were good they are loaded with an extreme amount of salt. Didn't make me want to go back although at times I wished I could get some of those hot dogs.

2 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

I was also happy to notice something that was not super present: that JCI Grill branding. Only saw a couple of mentions immediately at the front door but everything else had appeared to have reverted back to "James Coney Island."
If the experience I had at Meyerland is what's taking place at their remaining locations, then they'll be fine. If they can expand with the smaller-sized concept that they'd been hinting at into the suburbs and take that quality with them - they'll be even better off.

20240105_100444.jpg

Ha! Glad to learn this, ChannelTwoNews. As I stated over a decade ago, "Don't mess with my James' Coney Island." Next time I'm back home in Houston I will check in on the James' Coney Island in Meyerland.

4 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

I had to get my standard Walker Street / Houstonian / whatever it's called now and tamales with chili cheese with Coney Delaware Punch. The taste was still there for just about everything.

I haven't been to a JCI since the one near 45 and Crosstimbers closed, but the Walker Street combo and the tamale plate were likewise my go-tos, although I'd get one or the other as opposed to both. I wonder how many people that order the Walker Street combo now ever ate at the original Walker Street location?

spacer.png

• Like 1