Urbannizer

Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Place & Renovations for Galleria Plaza

i guess that i find it really surprising that there is no planned enclosed walkway, as per customers to and from the houston galleria.  wouldn't this be most feasible, since it is located directly across the street.

• Like 1

i guess that i find it really surprising that there is no planned enclosed walkway, as per customers to and from the houston galleria. wouldn't this be most feasible, since it is located directly across the street.

That would be a great way to expand the shopping experience

• Like 1

I have no idea whether Simon wants Dillards "under the roof" (and all indications are, neither do you).  But to say they don't want Dillards because they don't feel Dillards is high end enough is patently ridiculous.  The Galleria has plenty of stores that are at or below the level of Dillards.  Starting with Macy's and going down from there.  A mall that has a Payless Shoesource is not going to thumb its nose at Dillards for being insufficiently high-end.

Re:  the hotels;  Perhaps; although I think it's unlikely.  But this is all a silly academic discussion anyway.  The idea of building a skywalk to connect the new hotels to the Galleria is a horrible idea for myriad other reasons and I doubt that either Simon or the hotel developer would have much interest in spending the money to build it.

houston19514, you are a great haif stalwart, and i absolutely love your creative input.  however, you have now stumped me into the abyss!  i have hereby traveled all over this world to some degree.  i have had the foremost pleasure of lodging at some of the most high end establishments that there is....  furthermore, when i travel abroad as per some great relaxation along with some of the best shopping that there is, i venture forth to dubai, uae.  i always lodge at either HOTEL KEMPINSKI, connected via skywalk to the MALL OF THE EMIRATES vs THE ADDRESS HOTEL, connected via walkway to the DUBAI MALL.  now, this is just two of my highlighted favorites.  should i take the initiative to mention all of the rest of them... you probably would not believe it!  

now the purpose behind my astonishment, is that.. i have never, ever, experienced anything that could hereby come CLOSE to a HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!  in fact, my experiences with lodging at a hotel that is connected to a shopping mall, simply reek's of prominence, efficiency, safety, customer friendly, and every other positive accolade that one may purposely espouse.

houston's galleria traffic is hereby notorious.  houston's inclement weather conditions, heat included... are hereby notorious.  therefore, may you please point out to me, just why connecting the new hyatt regency to the houston galleria, should be such a horrible idea.

Edited by monarch
  • Like 1

lovely updated rendering.  however, lower rear exterior portion is rather plain looking.  thanks urbannizer!

• Like 1

I agree, Texasota.  This design couldn't possibly be more bland or less impactful to the skyline and streetscape.  And good luck to the scores of guests trying to cross the street to the Galleria (and good luck to us trying to drive through there).

• Like 2

helmet_256.png

wonderful illustrations baderjf!

however, is that the new saks at the very end?  it's supposed to me much larger than the old saks.. this one, look's a bit small...

Let's uproot the Mercer and move it to Dallas.

Good idea and actually rather appropriate.  When it was under construction, I was told it was built by a foreign-born developer operating out of Dallas.

I think it's been half-repainted. Maybe the whole thing needs to be stained a nice cherry color, then they could put some huge swinging glass doors on the front of it, and we can put all our Royal Doulton knick-knacks on display there. That way, they won't have to decorate the outside of Randall Davis' buildings. :P  <_<  

I noticed they repainted the Mercer the other day.

I'm still trying to figure out who the heck is paying for that. They redid all the windows and it's taken nearly a year of work repainting the thing. It must be costing a fortune, yet a few units have been up for sale and sold quickly with reasonable HOA fees and seemingly no special assessments. 

"Reasonable" and "HOA" are two words I never thought I'd see in the same sentence, considering the average HOA in Texas is more rapacious than its counterparts in northern Virginia.

Edited by toxtethogrady
  • Like 1

I'm still trying to figure out who the heck is paying for that. They redid all the windows and it's taken nearly a year of work repainting the thing. It must be costing a fortune, yet a few units have been up for sale and sold quickly with reasonable HOA fees and seemingly no special assessments. 

What did they do with their windows?

Haven't been in years, is the Galleria fully leased or lots of empties?

Went there a couple weeks before Christmas. Seemed to me that a substantial portion of the Galleria was leased and even saw some shops being built. It's a pretty packed place.

• Like 1

Haven't been in years, is the Galleria fully leased or lots of empties?

No empty's. I noticed one space under construction. The arcade in the food court is now a Subway.