Houston 2016

el-tri

Los Angeles to bid for 2016 Games - paper

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Los Angeles, twice hosts of the Olympics, will bid to stage a third Summer Games in 2016, a Los Angeles newspaper reported on Wednesday.

Organizers will announce their plans at a news conference in Los Angeles later on Wednesday, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa told the newspaper he was "very excited about this bid."

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=reu-...uters&type=lgns

STEP UP HOUSTON!

Houston don't need Olympics. I'm telling you, it's not worth it. Besides, the cities have to wait until 2016. 2016? Hell, the way this world going, we probably won't even see 2016.

Boy please. Say this if you want just because we did not get it the first time, but what city does not need or want the Olympics except for the ones on NYC, London, Paris, and Tokyo's level? Olympics pour in millions of dollars for beautification of cities through major projects and that can lead to greater things for a city.

Houston don't need Olympics. I'm telling you, it's not worth it. Besides, the cities have to wait until 2016. 2016? Hell, the way this world going, we probably won't even see 2016.

Dude, I'm telling you; with the facilities we have already built, and the possible Astrodome Hotel coming up, Houston has nothing to lose by hosting it. We got the perfect city layout for hosting an Olympics (mostly within our city limits, too).

Say what y'all wanna say. But, I'll say Houston don't need it. I could see hosting the Super Bowl again, but the Olympics? I doubt it.

They may come up with a new plan in New York for a stadium by then.

You have to look at it. Is Houston is party town? No. New York, L.A., London? Yes. They probably would pick New Orleans over Houston just cause they're more of a party town then us. Downtown Houston is dead on weekends. New York and other cities are jumping 24hrs, while in Houston we're soring in bed. The Olympic Committee looks at that also, besides only how many facilties a city have.

Now, I'm hearing L.A. is stepping up to the plate and throwing itself in the ring for the bidding of the 2016 Olympics.

With L.A., London, and New York in the race. Houston would have a hard time winning.

Say what y'all wanna say. But, I'll say Houston don't need it. I could see hosting the Super Bowl again, but the Olympics? I doubt it.

They may come up with a new plan in New York for a stadium by then.

You have to look at it. Is Houston is party town? No. New York, L.A., London? Yes. They probably would pick New Orleans over Houston just cause they're more of a party town then us. Downtown Houston is dead on weekends. New York and other cities are jumping 24hrs, while in Houston we're soring in bed. The Olympic Committee looks at that also, besides only how many facilties a city have.

Now, I'm hearing L.A. is stepping up to the plate and throwing itself in the ring for the bidding of the 2016 Olympics.

With L.A., London, and New York in the race. Houston would have a hard time winning.

I DEFINATLY agree that Houston needs to become known as a party town somehow. Something needs to change there if we have a shot at the Olympics or any big events again.

We'd be assured many more Super Bowls if we had that going for us. I think it's our biggest weak point for now, but I think it's something that can be changed.

• 1 month later...

In order to get the Olympics here Houston needs to step it up in the bribe catagory. Our bribe skills are not up to par with the international community. Also the IOC said the City had no International Appeal. And I hate to say it but it's true, we are a business city, not a tourist destination.

As much as I like the old Dome, if they don't figure out what to do with it soon, tear it down and get it over with.

In order to get the Olympics here Houston needs to step it up in the bribe catagory. Our bribe skills are not up to par with the international community. Also the IOC said the City had no International Appeal. And I hate to say it but it's true, we are a business city, not a tourist destination.

As much as I like the old Dome, if they don't figure out what to do with it soon, tear it down and get it over with.

So tell me why did Atlanta get it in 1996?

So tell me why did Atlanta get it in 1996?

Three words: Ted f*cking Turner. CNN, Atlanta Braves, Turner Field, Time Warner. If Ted Turner were not around, Atlanta wouldn't have a chance at hosting ANY event like the Olympics. Turner basically bought it in '96.

Only reason why that can't happen not is that EVERYONE is trying to "buy" the Olympics now. Even a city like NYC almost won it. Know how? Nothing to do with being a good city. It was all about buying the Olympics out, and "investing". The U.S. Olympic Commitee showed that when they picked NYC over Houston AND San Fransisco, even though they came out and said Houston had the best financial plan.

And Houston doesn't have international appeal, so we lost the Olympics? I heard the Commitee say that too, and I laughed my ass off at that hypocracy. How many people around the world knew where Atlanta was located before 1996? Hell, how many people around the world know where it's located NOW??? WTF!!! :lol:

Never heard that. Gotta link?

The story I heard was that Houston was too focused on it's sports infrastrucutre (which is top notch) and not enough our the cultural activities.

I'm not sure if I can find the archives, but I do remember the Houston Chronicle reporting something on this. It was an inside source from the U.S. commitee vote that they were refering to, because the Chronicle seemed baffled that we were not even in the top two for being the U.S. representative for the Olympics.

There was a widely held belief that the USOC made a conscious decision to give serious consideration only to cities that had an `international' profile that would require no promotion, which to them meant New York, D.C. and San Francisco," said Greene, who is now regional director of the Environmental Protection Agency. "I think the first question the USOC will have to answer is why the other cities would expect anything to be different this time, and the answer to that will have to be to convince them that any city other than New York will have a chance.

this was from july 7....might not be it though

for 2012 bid (just a bunch of blah blah blah)

The task force's decision, Moore said, "came down to the international strategies and international appeal, and the financial capacity for the city to manage and execute their programs. I will tell you that this was not simple. Our decision was a very difficult one, but we feel comfortable with our answer.

"We had four great cities. We picked two."

The decision not to include Houston in that number came as a shattering disappointment to George DeMontrond III, chairman of Houston 2012, and Susan Bandy, the foundation's president, who attended the task force's news conference Tuesday afternoon.

"We would have hoped that this would have been decided more on quantifiable criteria. That is where we thought we were strongest," DeMontrond said. "Houston was strong on those quantifiable points, but when it came down to the more nebulous perceptions and opinions about cities, obviously we were not as competitive in those areas.

"I can differ with them on what I think was important, but this is what they thought would be important to the IOC. They truly placed more emphasis on the international appeal of the cities as destinations than I would have placed had I been judging.

"Houston got a proper hearing," said Kelley, who in 1994 founded the group that eventually became the Houston 2012 Foundation. "We had the best bid in terms of mechanics and infrastructure. But the USOC has elected to go with cities they think have more of an international ring."
Edited by sevfiv