Houston 2016

el-tri

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
minute maid could be used for in-door sports, tennis or anything that the stadium could be able  to host, even soccer.

I'm not even sure you can create a FIFA/Olympic regulated field in that baseball stadium. Looking at the dimensions of the field, I think you can, but why would you want to? The sight lines would be terrible. If they wanted to play soccer, they can go to Huntsville, and use the Sam Houston State stadium. If you want tennis, they can play that at Westside Tennis Center. Why would you do track and field events at MMP? You can't put a track in that place, because the Astros would be back in 14 days or so.

i guess it doesn't matter because there's not baseball. but i'm sure if we did get the olympics, the IOC could work with MLB to schedule a road-trip during that time. astros just had a 10-day road trip.

Minute Maid could also be used for track and field events, qualifyers and such.

Where are you suppose to put a track in MMP?

Even if Houston was to get the Olympic Bid in 2016 - they would probably have to build and olympic stadium - since by that time the Astrodome will be Funland or something like it if not demolished - and Reliant Stadium will be approaching 20 years of age.  Every Olympic bid (that really caught the attention of the IOC) had new stadiums.  They dont want Olympic Stadium to be a 18 year old 69,000 seat, football stadium with terrible accoustics.

Face it people as many good things that would happen if Houston was awarded the Olympics would the millions spent on a single event be worth all the head ache?  Just ask Sydney, Athens, Atlanta, which have large sporting event centers mostly going to waste since there really arent many tenants to fill a 120,000 seat stadium.

I for one think they should permantly KEEP the games in Greece.  It was there idea anyway.  They have great facilities and are close to 450 million sport fans.

They would use Reliant Stadium for opening and closing ceremonies. Los Angeles' Memorial Stadium, home of the USC Trojans was the home for the 1932 and 1984 Olympic Games. That is 52 years.

Sydney uses it stadium for Rugby or whatever they do. Athens, I am sure they can play soccer in thaat stadium. Atlanta's Olympic stadium is now a baseball stadium as stated in a post.

Perhaps I worded my statement incorrectly.....?

How is this.....

Sydney had problems re-using its Olympic Park, perhaps the 107,000 seat Olympic Stadium has found a new use, but did the gymnastics, diving, swiming, boxing, tennis(if tennis is an olympic sport?), ect... ect... get my drift.  The Olympics are about more than just Olympic Stadium just as they are about more than anyone athlete or sport.  How has Sydney utilized the other facilities since the 2000 games?  How will Athens?  How did Montreal?  How did Atlanta (sure they converted there O.S. into a baseball field - which on a side note seems a strange conversion: 85,000 to 45,000!), how will Beijing? How did Seoul?  ????

How would Houston?  Are our vaunted sports programs at UH (cash strapped) and RICE (only has a few thousand students) going to use facilities that would have to be produced for the games?  Im sure there are ways, but?  The costs outweigh the possitives when it comes to the actual facilities.

Culturally there is little doubt the games are a HUGE! shot in the arm of any city, unless your New York, London, or Paris then its just another 2weeks in the summer.

How will these cities utilize their stadiums now that the games are over? Athens could probably turn it into a home stadium for a club team. In Montreal, it was the former home of the Expos, until they Moved to Washington D.C.

Reliant Stadium will be the Olympic Stadium. Once it is done, it goes back to Reliant.

I'm not even sure you can create a FIFA/Olympic regulated field in that baseball stadium. Looking at the dimensions of the field, I think you can, but why would you want to? The sight lines would be terrible. If they wanted to play soccer, they can go to Huntsville, and use the Sam Houston State stadium. If you want tennis, they can play that at Westside Tennis Center. Why would you do track and field events at MMP? You can't put a track in that place, because the Astros would be back in 14 days or so.

Where are you suppose to put a track in MMP?

They would use Reliant Stadium for opening and closing ceremonies. Los Angeles' Memorial Stadium, home of the USC Trojans was the home for the 1932 and 1984 Olympic Games.  That is 52 years.

Sydney uses it stadium for Rugby or whatever they do. Athens, I am sure they can play soccer in thaat stadium. Atlanta's Olympic stadium is now a baseball stadium as stated in a post.

How will these cities utilize their stadiums now that the games are over? Athens could probably turn it into a home stadium for a club team. In Montreal, it was the former home of the Expos, until they Moved to Washington D.C.

Reliant Stadium will be the Olympic Stadium. Once it is done, it goes back to Reliant.

Actually, track and field would have been held in a converted Astrodome. The Houston bid committee also envisioned using BOTH the Astrodome and Reliant for opening and closing ceremonies, allowing upwards of 150,000 spectators, keeping the ticket prices well below Sydney's $885. The athletes would parade through both facilities.

MMP was to be used for baseball. This was envisioned before baseball/softball was eliminated as an Olympic sport.

Houston's bid was widely believed to be the technically superior bid, with 90% of the facilities already built, and most events to be held in a compact area, generally inside the loop. Other than the rehabilitated Astrodome, which would have made Houston a very desirable track and field site long after the Olympics, there would have been no massive sports facility construction, so there would also not be a lot of white elephant facilities laying around afterward.

Actually, track and field would have been held in a converted Astrodome.  The Houston bid committee also envisioned using BOTH the Astrodome and Reliant for opening and closing ceremonies, allowing upwards of 150,000 spectators, keeping the ticket prices well below Sydney's $885.  The athletes would parade through both facilities.

MMP was to be used for baseball.  This was envisioned before baseball/softball was eliminated as an Olympic sport.

Houston's bid was widely believed to be the technically superior bid, with 90% of the facilities already built, and most events to be held in a compact area, generally inside the loop.  Other than the rehabilitated Astrodome, which would have made Houston a very desirable track and field site long after the Olympics, there would have been no massive sports facility construction, so there would also not be a lot of white elephant facilities laying around afterward.

He's absolutely right. The only three major construction proposals for an Olympics in Houston at that time were

1)a revamped track n field stadium out of Astrodome

2) a state-of-the-art aquatics center built in Reliant Park (which would have been used by U of H, TSU, Rice, HBU, and just about every college in the Houston Area as the primary facility for meets

3) Olympic Village, which would have revitalized the area between TSU and U of H

The reason why an Olympics in Houston is possible in the first place is because we already have the facilities we need, AND we actually can use these facilities afterward, so no money would be lost by Houston due to empty places.

Also, we have the second highest amount of Fortune 500 companies here. There would be no problem getting investments on the city as New York did. Matter of fact, landscape wise, Houston (and San Fransisco) are WAY better for an Olympics than New York.

If I recall, the biggest setback to Houston's bid all revolved around public transportation. We currently have one track route going from downtown to Reliant. That's it. If we're able to prove that we could have light rail set up throughout the city (from Bush Intercontinental to Katy to downtown, basically most of our bus routes), then our chances to be the U.S. candidate are extremely high.

Finally, if anyone thinks Houston doesn't have a chance at hosting the event, remember who hosted it in 1996.

Guest Plastic

I just don't see it. Houston's got crap for a reputation. Our traffic is crud and our city leaders don't know how to put the lef tone with the right one.

And yes we need a larger stadium. Alot larger stadium. Olympic stadiums can be well over 100.000 in seating capacity. Many people don't realize it but Reliant and The Astrodome are not very large facilities. I hope the city gets it's act together before we get any Olympic events.

I think one reason Houston did not get it the first time is because of it's transportation. If Houston had a major subway system and more urban developments, I bet Houston would have won it for the USA.

Los Angeles' Memorial Stadium, home of the USC Trojans was the home for the 1932 and 1984 Olympic Games. That is 52 years.

Yes but thats a huge stadium.

And regardless of whether Houston will ever get an Olympics splitting the ceremonies is a bad idea. What the hell! Thats a pretty bad idea - and it would go over like a terd in church! Bad idea - in fact I think the IOC wouldnt have allowed them to do that. They realize the importance of having one facility for the opening and closing ceremonies - besides its alot harder to secure and control two facilities.

I think two stadiums would be cool. It's never been done before. No one's ever had 2 stadiums 100 feet apart before. Besides, Houston scored very well on technical merit, which means our stadium and infrastructure plans were very good, most say the best of any US city.

So, it was on intangibles that Houston lost it. Not much we can do about that.

So, it was on intangibles that Houston lost it. Not much we can do about that.

Hopefully not....

I think it should serve as a lesson to Houstonians with more power than the average joe that our fair city needs more attractive 'people friendly areas'. Perhaps if our leaders put alot of their attention towards acheiving the Buffalo Bayou Project, perhaps then we could have an attractive city.

• 2 weeks later...

i just heard on sportscenter that Denver is the only city to ever refuse the Olympics (1976). They're reasoning: cost, pollution, and population boom it would cause. i know many on here have stated they would rather not have it (not sure if i agree, it may do more good then bad, i don't really know), but just throwing it out there cause i thought it was interesting.

i just heard on sportscenter that Denver is the only city to ever refuse the Olympics (1976). They're reasoning: cost, pollution, and population boom it would cause. i know many on here have stated they would rather not have it (not sure if i agree, it may do more good then bad, i don't really know), but just throwing it out there cause i thought it was interesting.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3327232

We got the Olmypics!!!

...um, the 2011 Senior Olympics. Same thing, right?

Do we have to build any venues for this?

• 2 weeks later...

Los Angeles to bid for 2016 Games - paper

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Los Angeles, twice hosts of the Olympics, will bid to stage a third Summer Games in 2016, a Los Angeles newspaper reported on Wednesday.

Organizers will announce their plans at a news conference in Los Angeles later on Wednesday, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa told the newspaper he was "very excited about this bid."

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=reu-...uters&type=lgns

STEP UP HOUSTON!

Houston don't need Olympics. I'm telling you, it's not worth it. Besides, the cities have to wait until 2016. 2016? Hell, the way this world going, we probably won't even see 2016.

Boy please. Say this if you want just because we did not get it the first time, but what city does not need or want the Olympics except for the ones on NYC, London, Paris, and Tokyo's level? Olympics pour in millions of dollars for beautification of cities through major projects and that can lead to greater things for a city.

Houston don't need Olympics. I'm telling you, it's not worth it. Besides, the cities have to wait until 2016. 2016? Hell, the way this world going, we probably won't even see 2016.

Dude, I'm telling you; with the facilities we have already built, and the possible Astrodome Hotel coming up, Houston has nothing to lose by hosting it. We got the perfect city layout for hosting an Olympics (mostly within our city limits, too).

Say what y'all wanna say. But, I'll say Houston don't need it. I could see hosting the Super Bowl again, but the Olympics? I doubt it.

They may come up with a new plan in New York for a stadium by then.

You have to look at it. Is Houston is party town? No. New York, L.A., London? Yes. They probably would pick New Orleans over Houston just cause they're more of a party town then us. Downtown Houston is dead on weekends. New York and other cities are jumping 24hrs, while in Houston we're soring in bed. The Olympic Committee looks at that also, besides only how many facilties a city have.

Now, I'm hearing L.A. is stepping up to the plate and throwing itself in the ring for the bidding of the 2016 Olympics.

With L.A., London, and New York in the race. Houston would have a hard time winning.

Say what y'all wanna say. But, I'll say Houston don't need it. I could see hosting the Super Bowl again, but the Olympics? I doubt it.

They may come up with a new plan in New York for a stadium by then.

You have to look at it. Is Houston is party town? No. New York, L.A., London? Yes. They probably would pick New Orleans over Houston just cause they're more of a party town then us. Downtown Houston is dead on weekends. New York and other cities are jumping 24hrs, while in Houston we're soring in bed. The Olympic Committee looks at that also, besides only how many facilties a city have.

Now, I'm hearing L.A. is stepping up to the plate and throwing itself in the ring for the bidding of the 2016 Olympics.

With L.A., London, and New York in the race. Houston would have a hard time winning.

I DEFINATLY agree that Houston needs to become known as a party town somehow. Something needs to change there if we have a shot at the Olympics or any big events again.

We'd be assured many more Super Bowls if we had that going for us. I think it's our biggest weak point for now, but I think it's something that can be changed.

• 1 month later...

In order to get the Olympics here Houston needs to step it up in the bribe catagory. Our bribe skills are not up to par with the international community. Also the IOC said the City had no International Appeal. And I hate to say it but it's true, we are a business city, not a tourist destination.

As much as I like the old Dome, if they don't figure out what to do with it soon, tear it down and get it over with.

In order to get the Olympics here Houston needs to step it up in the bribe catagory. Our bribe skills are not up to par with the international community. Also the IOC said the City had no International Appeal. And I hate to say it but it's true, we are a business city, not a tourist destination.

As much as I like the old Dome, if they don't figure out what to do with it soon, tear it down and get it over with.

So tell me why did Atlanta get it in 1996?

Archived