Houston 2016

el-tri

2012big2.jpg

Thats right, all of houston wants that second 2 to become a 6 on the picture above. I think it's Houston's turn to host the olympic games in 2016, and i'm hoping the city will do everything it can to get the right to be the US candidate city and the 2016 Olympic city.

Here are some venues the city will more likely use.........

Reliant Stadium

ReliantStadium.jpg

Reliant-Stadium_endzonelg.jpg

Astrodome

astroout.jpg

Minute Maid Park

MinuteMaid%20Park2.jpg

Toyota Center

arena_grab6.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YEAH ITS ME CMC FROM SKYSCRAPERPAGE, OH YEAH I KNOW THERE IS OTHER THEADS BUT THEY DON'THAVE PICTURES, SO IM LETTING THE OTHERS DO THE TALKING AND IM DOING THE PICTURES.....

OH AND IM NOT YELLING I JUST CAPITALISE MY LETTERS TO CATCH SOME ATTENTIOM....

It isn't?  It is still shown as a summer sport at www.olympic.org

baseball and softball are offical olympic sports for Bejing 2008, but that will be the last year. there will be no baseball or softball for 2012 London or afterward (until otherwised announced).

They HAVE been talking about possibly adding sports to take their places. Possibly golf or something.

Since the Astros would be using the Park in Summertime, my mind is blank as to how Minute Maid could be used.

Guest danax
Since the Astros would be using the Park in Summertime, my mind is blank as to how Minute Maid could be used.

It was done in L.A. in '84 at Dodgers Stadium when the first year of Olympic Baseball was held there. However, I'n not positive but I'm thinking they played a couple of games at Anaheim, where we won't have that ability here.

The Astros would simply schedule an extended road trip during the 17 days of the Olympics. It is a pain for the team, but not a particularly tough thing to accomplish.

EDIT: The IOC voted out baseball and softball a week or two ago. The sports aren't that popular outside the US, and it was very expensive to field the teams, since it is a team sport.

i guess it doesn't matter because there's not baseball. but i'm sure if we did get the olympics, the IOC could work with MLB to schedule a road-trip during that time. astros just had a 10-day road trip.

Minute Maid could also be used for track and field events, qualifyers and such.

It was done in L.A. in '84 at Dodgers Stadium when the first year of Olympic Baseball was held there. However, I'n not positive but I'm thinking they played a couple of games at Anaheim, where we won't have that ability here.

we have that ability (two places to play bball), we have minute maid and the astrodome. and rice.

Even if Houston was to get the Olympic Bid in 2016 - they would probably have to build and olympic stadium - since by that time the Astrodome will be Funland or something like it if not demolished - and Reliant Stadium will be approaching 20 years of age. Every Olympic bid (that really caught the attention of the IOC) had new stadiums. They dont want Olympic Stadium to be a 18 year old 69,000 seat, football stadium with terrible accoustics.

Face it people as many good things that would happen if Houston was awarded the Olympics would the millions spent on a single event be worth all the head ache? Just ask Sydney, Athens, Atlanta, which have large sporting event centers mostly going to waste since there really arent many tenants to fill a 120,000 seat stadium.

I for one think they should permantly KEEP the games in Greece. It was there idea anyway. They have great facilities and are close to 450 million sport fans.

"Even if Houston was to get the Olympic Bid in 2016 - they would probably have to build and olympic stadium - since by that time the Astrodome will be Funland or something like it if not demolished - and Reliant Stadium will be approaching 20 years of age. Every Olympic bid (that really caught the attention of the IOC) had new stadiums. They dont want Olympic Stadium to be a 18 year old 69,000 seat, football stadium with terrible accoustics."

:blink:

Actually, my :blink: was in response to the suggestion that Reliant Stadium would be old and washed up by 2016. Even if that was the case, a few million would spruce it right back up. And, not to split hairs, but it was expanded to 72,500 for the super bowl. It still seats 71,000 now.

As for the AstroWaveDome (Trademark RedScare), nothing is going in soon...and I am sure that any contracts signed will include a clause that allows it to be voided if the olympic committee needs it for an indoor track facility.

Even if Houston was to get the Olympic Bid in 2016 - they would probably have to build and olympic stadium - since by that time the Astrodome will be Funland or something like it if not demolished - and Reliant Stadium will be approaching 20 years of age.  Every Olympic bid (that really caught the attention of the IOC) had new stadiums.  They dont want Olympic Stadium to be a 18 year old 69,000 seat, football stadium with terrible accoustics.

Face it people as many good things that would happen if Houston was awarded the Olympics would the millions spent on a single event be worth all the head ache?  Just ask Sydney, Athens, Atlanta, which have large sporting event centers mostly going to waste since there really arent many tenants to fill a 120,000 seat stadium.

I for one think they should permantly KEEP the games in Greece.  It was there idea anyway.  They have great facilities and are close to 450 million sport fans.

I don't know for sure about the others, but Atlanta does not have a 120,000 seat stadium, empty or otherwise. Nor do they have any large stadium "going to waste" after their Olympics.

I still think they should have the games permanently in Athens!!!

120000 was an exageration! I know Atlanta doesnt have a 120000 seat stadium! Sydney has a 100000+ seat stadium, not sure how many Athens stadium holds - Ive forgotten.

Atlanta - uses the Georgia Dome for Football, what do they use Olympic Stadium for?

Perhaps I worded my statement incorrectly.....?

How is this.....

Sydney had problems re-using its Olympic Park, perhaps the 107,000 seat Olympic Stadium has found a new use, but did the gymnastics, diving, swiming, boxing, tennis(if tennis is an olympic sport?), ect... ect... get my drift. The Olympics are about more than just Olympic Stadium just as they are about more than anyone athlete or sport. How has Sydney utilized the other facilities since the 2000 games? How will Athens? How did Montreal? How did Atlanta (sure they converted there O.S. into a baseball field - which on a side note seems a strange conversion: 85,000 to 45,000!), how will Beijing? How did Seoul? ????

How would Houston? Are our vaunted sports programs at UH (cash strapped) and RICE (only has a few thousand students) going to use facilities that would have to be produced for the games? Im sure there are ways, but? The costs outweigh the possitives when it comes to the actual facilities.

Culturally there is little doubt the games are a HUGE! shot in the arm of any city, unless your New York, London, or Paris then its just another 2weeks in the summer.

Perhaps I worded my statement incorrectly.....?

How is this.....

Sydney had problems re-using its Olympic Park, perhaps the 107,000 seat Olympic Stadium has found a new use, but did the gymnastics, diving, swiming, boxing, tennis(if tennis is an olympic sport?), ect... ect... get my drift.  The Olympics are about more than just Olympic Stadium just as they are about more than anyone athlete or sport.  How has Sydney utilized the other facilities since the 2000 games?  How will Athens?  How did Montreal?  How did Atlanta (sure they converted there O.S. into a baseball field - which on a side note seems a strange conversion: 85,000 to 45,000!), how will Beijing? How did Seoul?  ????

How would Houston?  Are our vaunted sports programs at UH (cash strapped) and RICE (only has a few thousand students) going to use facilities that would have to be produced for the games?  Im sure there are ways, but?  The costs outweigh the possitives when it comes to the actual facilities.

Culturally there is little doubt the games are a HUGE! shot in the arm of any city, unless your New York, London, or Paris then its just another 2weeks in the summer.

Seoul and Bejing are fine. They use the facilities for national events and their Universitys.

U of H, Rice, and TSU all would be able to use the facilities once the Olympics finished, so long as they are built on campus, or are in close proximity to them.

I think University of Georgia uses Atlanta's extra facilities.

Guest danax
Seoul and Bejing are fine. They use the facilities for national events and their Universitys.

U of H, Rice, and TSU all would be able to use the facilities once the Olympics finished, so long as they are built on campus, or are in close proximity to them.

I think University of Georgia uses Atlanta's extra facilities.

Anyone remember Lake Placid, upstate NY, 1980 Winter Olympics? The olympic village is now a federal prison.

Archived