Wonton Food Corporation At 2902 Caroline St.

Howard Huge

Yep, fortune cookie factory, Wonton Food Corp at Caroline and Anita. Very noticeable if you go to 13 Celsius wine bar across the street.

There's another fortune cookie factory that you can smell at Dunlavy and Fairview.

I think it's a fortune cookie factory...

Thanks you guys, yall are awesome!

Its been baffling me and my girlfriend for months now!

I used to live one block over on the corner of Anita and Austin. I friggin loved that smell of the fortune cookies being made there. They frequently threw bags of cookies into the dumpster (I guess the bad ones) along Caroline. I was soooo tempted to grab a bag but never did.

Crime, maybe.

I'd bet insulation and cost.

How much can it be for some walls with insulation vs insulated windows, caulk, and all that comes with it?

Summer cooling bills must be a lot cheaper.

No matter how many windows you have, or don't have security is still a requirement.

For this building I doubt insulation was a factor. They leave the doors open all the time as forklifts drive in and out. They painted this building the solid white color a couple years ago because the exterior paint was crumbling and they it was starting to get it's fair share of graffitti on the outside. I would bet it was done strictly for security especially since they have people sleeping on that front porch all the time.

Whenever I see pictures like this I can't help but wonder:  what made people think, time and time again, "Gee, let's disfigure this nice building and make it a windowless anonymous block!"

Because it's a business and the aesthetics frequently just aren't as important as having the building configured the way you need, at the cheapest possible cost.

• The title was changed to Strong "Cookies Baking" Smell In Midtown
  • 7 months later...

Regardless of what street it resembles, once all of the road construction is finished and the apartment building going up right now gets finished this is going to be a popular area for the neighborhood. They already have two longtime hospitality spaces in Weights and Measure, and 13 degrees Celsius. The new street improvements will make it a very enviable spot to add walk up traffic in east Midtown. Maybe thats why Wonton is leaving. They probably sold the property to a developer who will build a new mid rise there. Just speculating. You've got HCC on the south end and a straight shot from downtown for lunch business. I guess you could look to the west side of Midtown on Bagby since they did this same thing over there.

• Like 5

IIRC, Wonton (2902 Caroline) was designed by the same architect who designed the Rich's (now Space) building at 2401 San Jacinto. There's certainly a resemblance between the two buildings.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Strong Cookies Baking Smell In Midtown
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 1:00 PM, bobruss said:

Maybe thats why Wonton is leaving. They probably sold the property to a developer who will build a new mid rise there. Just speculating. You've got HCC on the south end and a straight shot from downtown for lunch business. I guess you could look to the west side of Midtown on Bagby since they did this same thing over there.

In Caroline street's and Midtown's current iteration, a facility like this makes sense in Stafford, but does not make sense where it currently is. I'm assuming bob's comment is what happened. The plan was probably for Wonton to be on the land only as long as it takes to get a great deal. Now they probably got a great deal. I'm going to guess this will eventually get developed into multifamily. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Wonton Food Corporation At 2902 Caroline St.