New Trophy Tower?

wxman

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Park Board split over whether Dallas or a developer should pay for ‘top priority’ Pacific Plaza in downtown

There are, for now, three proposals to develop the long-proposed three-acre Pacific Plaza park on what’s currently a 300-or-so spot downtown Dallas parking lot bound by North St. Paul, Live Oak and North Harwood streets. Developer Shawn Todd has a $100-million plan that includes a sprawling eight-level parking structure stretching over Pacific Avenue. Mukemmel “Mike” Sarimsakci’s $600-million proposal calls for planting two massive towers on the proposed park. And former Dallas City Council member Ron Natinsky wants to bury a mechanical parking garage beneath the park, at a price tag not yet made public.

PacificPlazaProposals.jpg

YOUZA!  should these gorgeous concepts ever reach a stage as per reality.. dallas shall indeed head straight into the stratosphere!  there would be no stopping them.  they would certainly look at houston.. as second class, PERIOD!  dallas, always seems to out build, out conceptualize, and even out class houston upon so many levels.  (even ESPN has ESPN DALLAS) and they could care less about houston.   it is indeed high time for houston to rise above our "blue collar" image, and start striving as per the upper echelons of excellence.  the world, always seems to know and care about dallas this, and dallas that....

houston, needs to shed it's ultra conservative mindset, aura, image, mystique..  and allow for itself to become the world class city that "sam houston" could only imagine.  i am sick and tired of looking up to dallas.. as the glamour centerpiece of texas.  AREN'T WE THE FOURTH LARGEST CITY IN AMERICA?  why do i have to constantly remind myself of this very fact!  i am extremely happy for dallas.  the big city up north.. seems to overcome any form(s) of enduring adversity.. to continue to strive as per excellence upon innovation, culture, and everything that is big in texas.  it makes me angry that the city of houston..  our wonderful fair city that i love, and constantly brag about (all over the world to others) just cannot seem "stand up straight" or so to speak.  no matter what comes in our direction upon innovation, glamour, economic strength.. we always seem to be lagging, dragging, or nagging to the point of no return.  this simply has to change!

It's not a supertall. Meaning Dallas isn't getting anything I'd care for Houston to urgently get.

Nothing to envy here.

Although monarch, your stance is quite perplexing to say the least. I'm also happy for Dallas. It's our sister city and I wish them success at everything they do. No ill feelings for the Big D from me. It's becoming a better Dallas than any point in its history and it's something to be proud of. At the end of the day monarch, we're the city with 2 supertalls already, we're the city with OVER 110 highrises proposed right now, we're the worlds 10th richest city (per capita income), we're the city with 16 foreign flag carriers with 2 more that seem committed to entering our market (Transaero and EVA), we're the city getting the Spaceport (with tenants already secured), we're the hotspot food capital of TX, we're the most diverse city in the entire region.

What I'm getting at is that Dallas and Houston have so many things to take notes on off each other, things we can all learn. Houston's no second tier TX city.

It's not a supertall. Meaning Dallas isn't getting anything I'd care for Houston to urgently get.

Nothing to envy here.

Although monarch, your stance is quite perplexing to say the least. I'm also happy for Dallas. It's our sister city and I wish them success at everything they do. No ill feelings for the Big D from me. It's becoming a better Dallas than any point in its history and it's something to be proud of. At the end of the day monarch, we're the city with 2 supertalls already, we're the city with OVER 110 highrises proposed right now, we're the worlds 10th richest city (per capita income), we're the city with 16 foreign flag carriers with 2 more that seem committed to entering our market (Transaero and EVA), we're the city getting the Spaceport (with tenants already secured), we're the hotspot food capital of TX, we're the most diverse city in the entire region.

What I'm getting at is that Dallas and Houston have so many things to take notes on off each other, things we can all learn. Houston's no second tier TX city.

Beautifully written caesar, sometimes people do forget about the other wonders and fortunes we have right before our eyes! Also, I didn't know the spaceport had secured tenants! Where could I find more info on that?

Beautifully written caesar, sometimes people do forget about the other wonders and fortunes we have right before our eyes! Also, I didn't know the spaceport had secured tenants! Where could I find more info on that?

Welcome Nevada based Sierra Nevada Corporation.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_25541476/sierra-nevada-signs-agreement-houston-spaceport-dream-chaser

Only thing left to do is get that federal approval. The hard part (getting a tenant) is over at least.

Your right they are in fantasy land.  I just flew back there is nothing going on there.  With 30% empty buildings downtown and no growth a developer would have be insane!  A lot of people overlook Fort Worth.  I had a better time there, downtown is very nice. 

The proposed towers are residential, no?  Residential development in Dallas' CBD is quite active so I am not sure what you mean by "no growth."  See Downtown Dallas running out of empty buildings. Obviously, the proposed towers are just fantasy for the moment, but the fact that one of the more forlorn sections of Dallas' CBD is the subject of developer attention says good things about the market in Dallas.

My God, I have never seen a bunch of haters like this in my life! When I hear about proposed buildings in Houston, I don't sit there and say "It will never happen." I'm happy for any city in Texas that gets a new skyscraper announcement.

My God, I have never seen a bunch of haters like this in my life! When I hear about proposed buildings in Houston, I don't sit there and say "It will never happen." I happy for any city in Texas that gets a new skyscraper announcement.

You just need to learn to ignore nativehoustonion. Other than that I really didn't see too much Dallas hating.

The first rendering looks pretty impressive. I'd love to see upscale residential towers like that in uptown houston.

Anything for Texas is good.  I believe it when the cranes are up.  The Museum Tower is a shame.  I cannot believe the it was funding by the firefighters union.  They were so desperate to build it and make a profit.  There is only 14 bought and they go for $1,000,000 each.  It is now the Towering Inferno because it burns everything around it.

I'm sorry but I just don't think those things will get built. Monarch is crying that Dallas builds this and that, has he seen what is actually going on in Houston? We have projects that are actually going up. Some really good projects. What is going up in downtown Dallas to be jealous of?

The renderings remind me of CityCenter in Las Vegas.  A bit too flashy for my taste, but nevertheless would be a nice addition to any US city.  I'm a Houston booster, but I am also glad to see Dallas prosper and get nice developments.  For Houstonians it helps make our sister cities nearby more fun to visit.

I love seeing what's going on in Dallas and Austin, I'm a Texas booster, so it's good to see these developments. Now if only San Antonio could also join the fun and start getting some new taller buildings at least

I love seeing what's going on in Dallas and Austin, I'm a Texas booster, so it's good to see these developments. Now if only San Antonio could also join the fun and start getting some new taller buildings at least

I agree, I am a big time Texas booster. I am an American booster as well but when it comes to my State I'm a big time booster. And I agree it would be nice to see San Antonio get some new towers, even if its just a few in the core so that it could have a more established skyline. But as long as San Antonio keeps making its core more walkable and dense, I'm good.

Anything for Texas is good.  I believe it when the cranes are up.  The Museum Tower is a shame.  I cannot believe the it was funding by the firefighters union.  They were so desperate to build it and make a profit.  There is only 14 bought and they go for $1,000,000 each.  It is now the Towering Inferno because it burns everything around it.

Look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TVKl4Q_JBU#t=16

The key phrase was " we are pleased with the sales." That's not what she asked. If sales were up he would have spoke to those numbers. Other than that, this webisode gives me hope to win the lottery, so I can move in to one of those someday.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New DBJ article about the Hillwood project (subject of the original post).  

"HOK was selected among several finalists for a high-rise, mixed-use development in Dallas... HOK is adding an experienced architect to its Dallas office to help work on the project. HOK's Ben Crawford will relocate from the company's Houston office to Dallas, with the title of senior principal of design."

I know you meant DtD has 70% occupancy, 30% vacancy.  You are correct.  What you miss, though, is that Uptown carries average rents ten dollars per square foot above DtD's with scarcely 10% vacancy:  This building is not a northern outpost of downtown, but a southward extension of uptown.  I don't really care about the rendering - trophy towers are all decorated filing cabinets anyway - but its mixed-use complex, that's different.  It more than any other project has the opportunity to start to curate better social relations in both neighborhoods, beginning to make them more than just a forest of filing cabinets.

I know you meant DtD has 70% occupancy, 30% vacancy.  You are correct.  What you miss, though, is that Uptown carries average rents ten dollars per square foot above DtD's with scarcely 10% vacancy:  This building is not a northern outpost of downtown, but a southward extension of uptown.  I don't really care about the rendering - trophy towers are all decorated filing cabinets anyway - but its mixed-use complex, that's different.  It more than any other project has the opportunity to start to curate better social relations in both neighborhoods, beginning to make them more than just a forest of filing cabinets.

You are correct about the relative Class A vacancy rates, but do you have a source for the claim about Uptown Dallas rental rates compared to Downtown Dallas?

According to Transwestern, the Class A Asking Rate for Uptown in 1st quarter 2014 was $26.60.  Downtown Dallas:  $25.61 (Uptown Dallas is only the 6th most expensive office submarket in the DFW region.)

Archived