What's Your Favorite Grocery Store?

Like I may have discussed before, Houston has a highly competitive grocery market, but I'm curious as to what stores HAIFers like/shop: Kroger, Fiesta, H-E-B, Walmart, Trader Joe's?

Please put a line as to why it's your favorite (organic produce, closest to home, has a specific brand of fish sauce you enjoy, etc.) and what the location is (not all H-E-Bs and Krogers are created equal).

I'm not doing this for any project, it's just for fun.

Thanks!

Spec's in Midtown or Phoenicia

or

Kroger (for just the run-of-the-mill)

Yeah, I'm one of those people.  They have what I need, give gas discounts, and have decent enough prices.  Plus I don't have to circle the entire store to pick-up 1 or 2 items (like HEB).

Spec's in Midtown or Phoenicia

or

Kroger (for just the run-of-the-mill)

Yeah, I'm one of those people.  They have what I need, give gas discounts, and have decent enough prices.  Plus I don't have to circle the entire store to pick-up 1 or 2 items (like HEB).

Phoenicia has a great bakery and deli section, or at least the original location does.  Haven't been to the downtown one, yet.

I miss Auchan for the bakery, though.  Their pasteries were fantastic.

Viet Hoa Supermarket on the Beltway and Hong Kong on Bellaire are great for asian items.  There are at least a dozen other places down Bellaire that have good stuff as well, especially roast pork and duck (Dynasty Supermarket).

^Whole Paycheck has quite delicious seafood... though since I live much, much closer to the coast I tend to frequent the whole sale places and buy my fish fresh out'a the hold.

I do like the HEB pesto!  Quite delicious on flatbread topped with a small amount of mozzarella and a little dash of garlic!

I enjoy Krogers or it's sister company Ralphs from CA. The Krogers on Eldridge and West Little York has very fresh proteins and produce, as well as sushi. Manager specials are amazing, sometimes up to 75 percent off. I scoffed when my friends tried to talk me into buying sushi from a supermarket, but then I tried that locations sushi. Not bad. Also, Trader Joes Alabama or Woodlands is awesome. Pecan cereal, black bean bean dip with flax seed chips spicy version, green chilies burrito, egg roles and soy ice cream are my favorite things. Plus, I love the atmosphere of the Alabama location. :)

These days, I like HEB and also occasionally go to Central Market, Phoenicia, or Specs.  Trader Joe's is nice for a few things, too.  Krogers is OK, but I kinda detest Randalls (Safeway) now.  A friend (from abroad) who used to go to Auchan still comments on how good their baked goods were, and that in talking to the bakers he found that Auchan had actually brought them over from France.  

^Whole Paycheck has quite delicious seafood... though since I live much, much closer to the coast I tend to frequent the whole sale places and buy my fish fresh out'a the hold.

Oh, man!  I grew up in Pensacola and we used to buy all our seafood that way.  It's the only way to go if you're nearby.

1.) HEB Montrose for produce and everyday staples 

2.) Central Market for treats and meats

3.) Whole Foods Dallas St. for prepared foods, treats and meats too

4.)Trader Joe's S. Shepard for pantry goods and frozen stuff

5.) Phoenicia downtown for specialty ethnic foods and baked goods

6.) Specs Midtown for deli/condiments/treats and beer

7.) Fresh Market Westheimer for baked goods

7.) 99 Cent Ranch I-10 for fresh seafood and asian foods

8.) Amazon.com for pantry goods

9.) Randalls Midtown for convenience store goods like treats beer and emergency needs

9.) Randalls Midtown for convenience store goods like treats beer and emergency needs

4 out of 9 reference treats and 2 out of 9 reference beer.  I like the way you think.

Good list. I would add Fiesta for those south of the border "treats" you can't find anywhere else. 

I have been buying my seafood and good cuts of meat from WF. Costs more but there really is a difference. And they have a good craft beer selection. 

Randalls San Felipe. Because it's the nearest regular type grocery store (my definition of regular type is rather limited - it means Kroger, Randalls, or non-crackhead HEB).

Also, Randalls Bellaire, because it's on my way home from work.

Also, Randalls W. Holcombe, because it's ALSO on my way home from work, non-freeway route.

Also, just Randalls because people who say it's more expensive haven't been in there since the Bush administration and need to shut up.

Anti-vote for crackhead style HEBs. (the Central Market ones or whatever it's called. I shouldn't have to go through a rat's maze to get milk)

• 4 months later...

I realize that Randall's has had sort of a bad rep since the Safeway acquisition, but does anyone have a feel for how Randall's prices compare to the competition?  They used to have a reputation for being a good bit more expensive.  I've only been in one recently to pick up one small item so it's hard for me to say.  

Fiesta on Patton for day to day stuff, table wine, prepared chickens (oh, how I miss the one on Studewood).  And Dickey's clothing.

Spec's mother ship for wine, cheese, coffee (and hooch, of course)

Phonecia downtown for its excellent halal meat counter, warm pita, prepared dips, good cheeses and imported sausages, and import odds and ends

Farmers markets for produce in season

Central Market for less pedestrian produce, meat, seafood, cheese, deli meats, and some etc.

Canino's for produce

El Bolillo for baked goods

99 Ranch for Asian produce, frozen dumplings, giant bags of rice, condiments found nowhere else, and seafood

The giant enormous HEB on Katy @ Bunker Hill for when I want to consolidate some

Out of respect to Subdude, I refer to "produce" rather than "veggies."

It would be really nice to get a decent non HEB or Kroger store down Clear Lake way!  Sure does suck having all those people and nothing besides those two and 2 Aldi's!  Really unfortunate.  People who live Inside the Loop have it good - take advantage and enjoy the variety.

For us its usually HEB on I-10 and Bunker Hill or Costco.  I also like to occasionally hit the Trader Joes on Voss and if its just a small quick trip the Krogers on Briar Forest at Eldridge or Dairy Ashford since they are both close to the house. 

Randall's on San Felipe and Sage as i have lived and worked within 1 block of it for the past 16 years and my Randall's card helps keep the prices low enough for me to be happy...and Central Market for specialty items or when shopping for a party or special occasion etc. Although...i am super excited about the upcoming Whole Foods on Post Oak which is just a couple of block away from where i live and work, so that will probably take over the role that Central Market plays! Love Whole Foods but the others were always closer and more convenient!

I live and work in the Greater Eastwood area and there isn't a good, fully stocked grocery store for miles around to meet the weekly shopping needs of local residents. The small "Kombat Kroger" on Polk@Cullen was cleaned up recently but has a limited selection in all departments. The HEB in Gulfgate. Fiesta on Wayside and Sellers Bros. on I-45 are all merchandised to compete with the small, Hispanic-oriented tiendas scattered throughout East End neighborhoods. A recently-opened Super Walmart on I-45@Wayside has yet to discover the meaning of  "fresh produce" -- its grocery prices aren't all that wonderful either. By default, my go-to grocery stores are HEB on W. Alabama, Kroger on Montrose and Randall's in Midtown. Often, I see my neighbors -- of all ethnic backgrounds -- shopping in these same stores.

I'm actually really pleased with the selection at kombat Kroger. But then I stick mainly to the outside isles (produce, meat, dairy) they've got really fresh produce. Not as great a selection as the Montrose heb, but it gets me through the week.

1. Target 

2. Krogers 

3. Wal Mart 

4. Fiesta 

5. Food Arama 

6. Food Town 

7. Randall's

8. HEB

Please don't tell those are ordered favorite to least favorite, because that would make me very sad that you would put Walmart above Fiesta and H-E-B. And if it was reversed, it would also make me sad that you put Foodarama above Fiesta and Kroger.

Archived