What are things that can make Houston a better city?

What do you guys think Houston lacks or what are things that can make Houston a better city? I would like your thoughts and ideas on what could make Houston a better city. 

Things I think would make Houston a better city:

1.) Wide Sidewalks

2.) Led Streetlights

3.) Buried Powerlines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would REALLY love to see the full implementation of the Buffalo Bayou Masterplan.  ALL OF IT.  Including the north and south canals on the north side of downtown.

Also relocating the jails to a less visable part of town - like over to the old KBR site would be fantastic.  As they currently sit they are convinient to the courts but their location is some of the most unique real estate in the whole area.

Continual work building new parks in and around town is going to really pay dividends in the long run in helping to beautify our city.

I would also like to see implementation of the Bayou Master Plan.  However, I (perhaps too optimistically) hold out hope that the KBR site will be redeveloped in a way that contributes to our city's future in a better way than being a site for relocating jails, bus stations, homeless shelters, etc.

It's too late to do many of the things I wish we'd done ... like provide for broad thoroughfares through areas that are now considered sacrosanct (e.g., Westheimer and San Felipe eastbound from 610).  But, perhaps we can still redo our bayous back to a more natural state while also improving flood control.

I think that , as a city, we are evolving into a kind of place in which people see value in investing in tending to our infrastructure in such a way that future generations will benefit.  At present, that is most visible close to the core.  Farther out, people are more oriented toward the post-WWII philosophy of buying into the latest new place on the outskirts of town, then moving farther outward and abandoning it to ruin in a few years.  To some extent, I don't blame people for continuing to buy into that philosophy ... but I think that it is ultimately bad for everyone.

Archived