Protecting The Trees In The Public Right Of Way

got this in the COH newsletter

Saving Houston's Trees

Trees located in the City of Houston (COH) right-of-way (along neighborhood streets, typically the area from the curb to the sidewalk) are public property and developers do not have the right to remove these trees without express permission from the COH.

Unfortunately, there have been a number of situations lately where developers have removed and destroyed large, irreplaceable trees without permission, thereby violating the law and harming both the environment and beauty of our surroundings. Such removal and destruction can subject developers to both criminal and civil sanctions, but once the damage has been done, neither sanction is really adequate. Rather, developers who would seek to violate the law must be deterred by realizing that their actions will result in serious sanctions, including shutting down their projects for some period of time.

The COH has embarked upon an aggressive course of seeking sanctions against developers who remove and destroy public trees without permission. Any resident observing such potentially illegal removal or destruction of public trees is asked to immediately call 311, the COH helpline.

Note: Permission to remove a tree may only be granted following a permitting process that requires justification and some type of mitigation, either by planting other trees or contributing to a tree fund. In many instances, justification does not exist to remove a particular tree and permission would be denied.

I am posting this under "Montrose" as I think there were two instances in East Montrose Civic and Avondale Civic area that might have lead to this COH to spotlight this ordinance. This article tells about the EMCA situation: http://www.houstoniamag.com/news-and-profiles/articles/city-sues-developer-contractors-axing-protected-oaks-october-2013

Both of the Civic organizations try to defend the huge Oaks in their districts-the size that are so big it's hard to wrap your arms around-many times the developers cut them down with out notice and at odd hours when everyone is usually at work or very early in the morning.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

from Cohens enewsletter

Illegal Tree Destruction Under Investigation

District C is known for having some of the most beautiful and mature trees in Houston. This week, Council Member Cohen was appalled to learn of the illegal destruction of several stately oak trees on Kirby Dr. at North Blvd. Their unpermitted and reckless removal stands in violation of Houston's Tree Protection Ordinance, and the Legal Department is in the process of investigating to ensure that this ordinance, and any penalties that may be applicable, are enforced against the perpetrators of this reprehensible act.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I read the article in today's Chron.com about cutting ROW trees without permits my cut and paste isn't working on my iPad to put in the article but there was a breakdown of COH past 6 settlements--- over $1 mil

Wow

I'm glad to see this being carried through

FIFY:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Burger-King-5899682.php

Google: wendy's tree cutting 300,000 settlement chron  iff'n you don't have a chron.com subscription.

• 6 years later...

Heard from someone at COH that Mayor Turner is rethinking the protection of large canopied trees. A few weeks ago, he asked COH arborist ( who had ruled to protect the trees) to perhaps reconsider after taking another look at huge trees that a developer had asked to be cut down. 

To me this is grim.  Large canopy trees with their dense shade are hard to replace no matter how many young pin oaks you plant to replace them.

it’s too bad there is no “ recognized designation” that celebrates and protects historic trees. That might lower the anxiety level of people like me that now have to worry that if a developer is friends with the mayor……historic trees might not necessarily be protected. Sigh

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Protecting The Trees In The Public Right Of Way
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, trymahjong said:

Hmmmmm seems planting natives in ROW would be positive for trees- perhaps extra positive for bees and butterflies:

CCEFCEB0-9D3A-4E0A-8DA8-22DD59E75EBE.png

I'm always dismayed when I see so much un-landscaped public space.  For example, the medians and sidewalk areas (called "margins" or "parkways" in other cities, I don't know what the term is in Houston).  Too often they're just dirt and some developer laid irrigation pipe over it and walked away. 

I wish there were neighborhood gardening clubs or other groups that could get permission to tend to these areas; especially the city-owned ones. 

And when I see the bill every month for water drainage, I wonder how much lower it might be if the city put more effort into ensuring fallow space was properly vegetated.

• Like 2

COH has an environmental action plan

http://greenhoustontx.gov/contact-search.html

I wonder if raising awareness about faulty planting/planning of ROW, medians etc could be added to that-

it would take a huge amount of pressure  from citizens but it would be worth it.

COH could start with a simple program of handing out free native Texas seeds.....or native trees.....or trees to be torn down   could be transplanted stead.

surely that would cost no more, than the small replicas of recycle bins that were handed out last week at big PR thingy on illegal dumping.

image.jpg

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, trymahjong said:

COH has an environmental action plan

http://greenhoustontx.gov/contact-search.html

I wonder if raising awareness about faulty planting/planning of ROW, medians etc could be added to that-

it would take a huge amount of pressure  from citizens but it would be worth it.

COH could start with a simple program of handing out free native Texas seeds.....or native trees.....or trees to be torn down   could be transplanted stead.

surely that would cost no more, than the small replicas of recycle bins that were handed out last week at big PR thingy on illegal dumping.

How about something like this?  https://www.treesforhouston.org/tree-giveaways

Trees For Houston hosts monthly giveaways during the planting season!

3 hours ago, editor said:

I'm always dismayed when I see so much un-landscaped public space.  For example, the medians and sidewalk areas (called "margins" or "parkways" in other cities, I don't know what the term is in Houston).  Too often they're just dirt and some developer laid irrigation pipe over it and walked away. 

I wish there were neighborhood gardening clubs or other groups that could get permission to tend to these areas; especially the city-owned ones. 

There are such clubs/organizations in many neighborhoods (the last two neighborhoods I've lived in both had programs to landscape the esplanades or boulevards.  Many other neighborhoods with strong HOAs also landscape such areas.

But to your point, I've often thought it would be nice if Houston (city or an organization similar to Trees for Houston or Scenic Houston) made an effort to beautify and maintain the many esplanades/boulevards in the city/metro.  I think we have an unusual amount of them and if we landscaped/maintained all of them (or at least more of them), we could call ourselves the City of Boulevards.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...