Mab    1,704

A whimsical new sculpture by Houston artist Bridgette Mongeon for the future Evelyn's Park in Bellaire will boast some serious "muchness," to borrow a word from Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland."

The 10-foot-long bronze picnic table captures the tea party scene from Carroll's beloved tale. Park visitors will be able to sit beside larger-than-life-size bronze figures of Alice, the March Hare, Cheshire Cat, the Dormouse and the Mad Hatter.

The Jerry and Maury Rubenstein Foundation commissioned Mongeon to create "Move One Place On" for the five-acre green space under construction at 4400 Bellaire.

The sculpture's title comes from the Mad Hatter's quote, "Let's all move one place on." The functional table will accommodate six or eight people in addition to Alice and her friends. Nearby, a companion piece will feature a bronze storybook that rests atop a faux bois-inspired "stump."

To honor the book's 150th anniversary, Mongeon is hiding 150 small elements within the bigger sculptural pieces, "so it becomes a whole adventure," she said.

920x920.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/arts-theater/article/New-sculpture-for-Evelyn-s-Park-will-bring-Alice-6403495.php#photo-8356512

Rodygrant    0

I can't wait to drive across town with my family to play in this park and try and find the 150 hidden "elements" in this awesome sculpture.

Mab    1,704

IT'S OFFICIAL! Evelyn's Park is thrilled to announce that we have selected a cafe operator who is completely in line with our mission and will provide excellent food and service to the park's new cafe! Celebrity Chef Jamie Zelko of Zelko Bistro and Food Network fame and her partner Dalia Zelko have agreed to be our cafe operators! We could not be more excited to have found the perfect match! For more information check outevelynspark.org!!

AREJAY    861

Construction on Evelyn’s park has officially begun and the 5-acres of land is now being primed for over 320 trees that have been donated to beautify the park.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/west_university/news/construction-of-evelyn-s-park-begins-trees-to-adorn-new/article_abf8a24f-8d90-5e19-9e99-73b03123d59c.html

Zelko in the park? It's coming to Bellaire.

Evelyn's Park Conservancy, the nonprofit public/private partnership overseeing the improvements of Evelyn's Park, 4400 Bellaire, has tapped Zelko Concepts as restaurant operator for a café proposed for the park project.

Jamie and Dalia Zelko, partners in Zelko Concepts (Zelko Bistro in the Heights, and the Heights HoneyBee Project) will operate the yet-unnamed restaurant. The park is currently under construction and is expected to be completed summer 2016.

920x920.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Zelko-Concepts-will-operate-restaurant-in-6498023.php#photo-6685072

• Like 4

The most recent digital sketch of the Hatter's Tea Party. Me working on the hatter this week. post-14478-0-09130700-1444507528_thumb.jpost-14478-0-32170700-1444507617_thumb.j 

If you like you can follow along with my process of creating the sculpture at The Finding Alice Page on Facebook. How big is it? VERY BIG!   https://www.facebook.com/FindingAliceSculpture

I also created a you tube video to talk about the process 

or check out this video that shows the cnc of the March Hare.  

• Like 6

Urbannizer    33,406

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/west_university/news/evelyn-s-park-construction-delays-over-unsuitable-soils/article_befb65d0-8530-59f3-98e6-b61a5dffd3a6.html

Bellaire City Council has approved accepting funds from Evelyn’s Park Conservancy (EPC) to pay for the reallotment of soil which has halted the construction of the park for the past ten weeks.

Construction on Evelyn’s Park halted on August 24, after contractors found unsuitable soils during initial earthwork construction at the site. Contractors have since been working to come up with a plan to make use of the soils.

Twitter1    1,696

A steel structure has risen!!  Passed by it today but was unable to snap photos.  I'll photograph it tomorrow while grocery shopping.

CrockpotandGravel    4,336

From CultureMap in September:

Winning name for new restaurant in Bellaire park offers up a nod to nature

The results are in. Six months after inviting the community to suggest names for the restaurant that will open there next spring, Evelyn's Park Conservancy announced the winning entry. 

Ivy & James at Evelyn's Park won the contest thanks to its connotations with nature and also to the restaurant's operators: former Zelko Bistro owners Jamie and Dalia Zelko. The Zelkos closed their popular neighborhood restaurant in The Heights back in June to prepare for opening Ivy & James.

"...They will develop Ivy & James as a gathering place for families, and will focus on serving sustainable and healthy food in addition to classes and programs to educate citizens on gardening, cooking, and improving their well being."

The restaurant's menu will utilize locally-sourced ingredients, including an on-site herb garden. In addition to dining in the cafe, patrons will also have the option of having a picnic at the park. Taken together, Ivy & James should be another valuable addition to Bellaire's growing array of dining options.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/09-28-16-bellaire-park-chooses-winning-name-for-new-restaurant/

CrockpotandGravel    4,336

Website for Evelyn's Park cafe, Ivy & James: https://evelynspark.org/cafe

From the website:

Ivy & James, the new café at Evelyn’s Park, will open early 2017 for breakfast, lunch and dinner. As its namesake suggests, Ivy & James celebrates the essential entwinement of community and nature, weaving a passion for sustainably-sourced food with fresh, creative menus that can be enjoyed all day by park-goers.

The moniker also forges a personal connection to the café’s award-winning operators, referencing the nicknames and talents behind Zelko Concepts, Jamie and Dalia. Ivy & James will be their second restaurant venture in Houston.

Twitter1    1,696

Officially opening tomorrow!

Earth Day, 2017!!

Saturday, April 22, 2017

The gates surrounding the property came off today. Neighbors went a head and toured the park. They might have been breaking the rules. The park isn't technically open today?  The celebration white tables & chairs were being setup by an event staff.  The sound equipment was going in, etc.

I toured the park! There was a few families, but it wasn't busy.  Here's some photos!!

Btw, my grandmother's name is Evelyn.

Parking lot facing the park

oP8tCFK.jpg

Bldgs

aSzyXmj.jpg

Children's Natural Landscape

uj3Py7n.jpg

The "stairs" to get up to the slides

luMkyS1.jpg

Butterfly wall. Donors and remembrances.

XmhbHLO.jpg

MkpHX5R.jpg

Fitness zone! A small area secluded from other places of the park. Good for yoga, body-weight exercises, stretching, etc.

ze2ogsE.jpg

Close up

0FDet0a.jpg

Bldg 1 of 2 (maybe 3)

mOHEw2c.jpg

Spoke to one of the head chefs or operators. A Beer Garden!! They already have Yellowrose IPA on tap! Beer Garden opens May 1st!

8eOFZGe.jpg

Makes it a nice visit to the park for me! Nice landscaping, healthy "weekend" food, and beer on tap.  Neighborhood park serving top-end Texas IPA beer? Must be nice to live in Bellaire..:D

Edited by Twitter1
  • Like 4

Twitter1    1,696

I spoke to Jamie Zelko. What an awesome chef! WZ3cyZx.gif

With only 30 years under her belt, 2011 Houston Rising Star Sustainability Chef Jamie Zelko has already spent half her life making a name for herself in the restaurant industry. Zelko graduated from the Art Institute of Houston with honors and a fistful of scholarships to travel to Beijing, Shanghai, and California. But ever the loyal Houstonian, it was to her native town that Zelko returned to begin her career.

https://www.starchefs.com/cook/chefs/bio/jamie-zelko

OThvmyQ.jpg

Twitter1    1,696

She wanted me to spread the word. The Evelyn's Park Beer Garden will be open Monday, May 1, 2017.

Yellow Rose pouring!!

DSmt96o.jpg

Twitter1    1,696

Poor Evelyn's Park. 3-weeks old and I just discovered cigarette litter in the grass. Hope this doesn't continue. It's a terrible look for a green park in the center of Bellaire.

zXTHVGT.jpg