The Travis: Multifamily High-Rise At 3300 Main St.

Urbannizer

2 hours ago, ZRFkris said:

I wish screening garages would become the standard. We have real use for it here in Houston as well as it would help keep temperatures down.

I think it will become standard soon. We need to remember that this project was built before Walkable Places Ordinances were passed for Midtown. The Ion Garage is the first example of how this new standard will start affecting construction as well as the new Kimpton Hotel. So NOW its the standard. Before the implementation The Travis was the standard.

EDIT: Not implemented as of this post. Still in planning and seeking public comment. Boooo.

Edited by Luminare
further clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Luminare said:

I think it will become standard soon. We need to remember that this project was built before Walkable Places Ordinances were passed for Midtown. The Ion Garage is the first example of how this new standard will start affecting construction as well as the new Kimpton Hotel. So NOW its the standard. Before the implementation The Travis was the standard.

Very cool.  Can you provide a link to the ordinance?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Very cool.  Can you provide a link to the ordinance?

Seems I misspoke. I swore they passed it last fall, but it seems its been pushed back to get more public comments. My bad. I'll correct my previous comments with an edit. You know what I was probably thinking of was the passing of the elimination of parking minimums for this part of town (or a portion of it).

For now here is the thread where its being discussed:

Here is a recent article about it from Community Impact:

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/development/2020/01/14/public-has-final-chance-to-weigh-in-on-new-policies-aiming-to-make-houston-more-walkable/

Here is the city's page on Walkable Places specifically for Midtown:

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Commissions/walkable-places-midtown.html

It seems like a bunch of the links I'm getting a 404 error on the city website, my guess is that they have taken down stuff until the end of public comments and will then update. The city though is pretty dead set on passing this ordinance. What's interesting is that other areas can apply to become part of the program at some point.

With that being said, even though its not an official ordinance, the specific projects I mention should be an indication that the market is already see this passing at some point and would rather play ball than against.

/\   I can't find anything in those materials (or in any other materials I can find on-line) that indicates that the Walkable Places ordinance would impose screening or other design standards on parking garages.  I wish/hope they will and I think the City needs to impose design standards on parking garages city-wide.)

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

/\   I can't find anything in those materials (or in any other materials I can find on-line) that indicates that the Walkable Places ordinance would impose screening or other design standards on parking garages.  I wish/hope they will and I think the City needs to impose design standards on parking garages city-wide.)

Hmm. Well I'm fallible. If it ends up not being something in Walkable Places then I'll own up to it. Now I'm questioning why I thought this was the case in the first place. Really strange.

EDIT: Legit embarrassed haha.

Edited by Luminare

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...