The Travis: Multifamily High-Rise At 3300 Main St.

Urbannizer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/PMRG-closes-on-Midtown-multifamily-site-10832895.php

Houston developer PMRG has closed on a Midtown site where it plans to build hundreds of luxury apartments along the light rail line.

The company said construction will begin "in the near term," but offered no other specifics

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Did this one grow in height? A subscriber-content article from the HBJ has it at 40-stories.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/01/23/brokers-trio-of-record-breaking-real-estate-deals.html

PM Realty Group purchased a 1.15-acre site at 3300 Main St. in Midtown. The Houston developer plans to build a 40-story, 336-unit apartment tower on the site. PMRG closed on the land in late December, after also struggling to find capital partners amid the energy downturn. The developer demolished a former city of Houston code enforcement building on the site last year, and hopes to start construction on the apartment project this year.

• Like 7

If you look at the rendering you will notice the rail lines on the bottom right corner and the large protruding awning is the front of MATCH, which  I believe is at the corner of Mcgowan and Main.

Just to remind those naysayers that the rail wouldn't bring any development.

What do you say now?

Edited by bobruss
added text
  • Like 7

On 1/27/2017 at 9:33 AM, bobruss said:

If you look at the rendering you will notice the rail lines on the bottom right corner and the large protruding awning is the front of MATCH, which  I believe is at the corner of Mcgowan and Main.

Just to remind those naysayers that the rail wouldn't bring any development.

What do you say now?

Not a naysayer, but Midtown's development has been strange. Western Midtown, along Bagby and W Gray to the North got developed before we started significantly filling in the pieces along the rail in the last 2 years. A boutique hotel would go great along this stretch of the rail. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Looks like the 40-story count was bogus. FAA filing for the crane shows construction will begin in the coming months.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=336840964&row=12

Structure Type: Crane

Structure Height: 369'

Work Schedule: 10/02/2017 to 04/01/2019

• Like 7

I'll take it. Hey its a skyscraper in Midtown. It will be the first skyscraper in Midtown, and it tightens the Downtown -TMC link.

I have no doubt its going to happen, just faster than I thought.

If we gat the Caydon and the project being considered for the Museum district at the  San Jacinto and Southmore intersection, then

Katy, bar the door.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Looks like the 40-story count was bogus. FAA filing for the crane shows construction will begin in the coming months.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=336840964&row=12

Hopefully they didn't go Randall Davis and cheapen the design down too much. I'd rather see it 3 stories with GFR than 30 stories without GFR. Looks like they chose to reduce the scale and build sooner rather than wait longer for the market to come back.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I'd rather see it 3 stories with GFR than 30 stories without GFR. 

Not me. GFR isn't everything.  I think its high time Midtown started to develop a real skyline of it's own and a "beautiful" 3 story building wouldn't cut it for me even if it had the greatest GFR in Texas. Don't get me wrong, I want it to have GFR too, but not at the expense of this building doing whatever it can to help connect the DT and TMC skylines.

Even if it isn't 40-stories, a 369' building in Midtown is significant and I hope this is the beginning of a trend. This and the 3 high rises proposed across from the Midtown park superblock will go a long way in making my own personal midtown dreams come true. If enough of these high rises take off, the GFR will come organically out of necessity anyway.  

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Reporter said:

Not me. GFR isn't everything.  I think its high time Midtown started to develop a real skyline of it's own and a "beautiful" 3 story building wouldn't cut it for me even if it had the greatest GFR in Texas. Don't get me wrong, I want it to have GFR too, but not at the expense of this building doing whatever it can to help connect the DT and TMC skylines.

Even if it isn't 40-stories, a 369' building in Midtown is significant and I hope this is the beginning of a trend. This and the 3 high rises proposed across from the Midtown park superblock will go a long way in making my own personal midtown dreams come true. If enough of these high rises take off, the GFR will come organically out of necessity anyway.  

In my experience introducing out-of-towners to Houston, they are most frequently impressed by our skylines, but wonder at our lack of walkable neighborhoods. So my personal wishes for Midtown are to have a walkable urban neighborhood first, skyline second. That means GFR, especially on Main St. If Main St. becomes walkable, it will attract much more development to Midtown long term, including highrises. The hope is to create a unique environment, a "there" there, otherwise there is nothing to attract highrise dwellers there rather than Montrose Blvd. or West Gray or Post Oak...

But neither of our opinions is right or wrong, nor do they likely matter.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, gmac said:

I've never had one visitor mention "walkable neighborhoods" to me. I have show dozens of people around town, and they mostly remark on how green the city is and how many restaurants we have.

I guess we inhabit different social circles. Many of my visitors were from cities that have walkable neighborhoods, so this was something that made an impression on them. I've also always hated it when I've been in conversations elsewhere when Houston was brought up, and someone said, "You can't get by without a car there," and I wanted to tell them they were wrong, but couldn't.

• Like 2

Why would someone who lives in a city with a walkable neighborhood want to visit another city that's exactly like where they came from? All my visitors hate walking anywhere. They just want to be chauffeured around town (by me). I'm only interested in my own personal vision for Houston. Your visitors can go jump in the Gulf of Mexico. Just kidding.

Edited by Reporter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I guess we inhabit different social circles. Many of my visitors were from cities that have walkable neighborhoods, so this was something that made an impression on them. I've also always hated it when I've been in conversations elsewhere when Houston was brought up, and someone said, "You can't get by without a car there," and I wanted to tell them they were wrong, but couldn't.

They weren't part of my social circle. To be fair, most of them weren't from huge cities, either.