The Travis: Multifamily High-Rise At 3300 Main St.

Urbannizer

13 minutes ago, MarathonMan said:

Both.  I live in Midtown and I love spending time downtown.  I also spend time in the Museum District/Hermann Park.  I think that, once the Pierce Elevated is eliminated (fingers crossed!), the two districts will integrate.  They’re both pedestrian-oriented and easy to navigate.

Also, the line with the Museum District will be blurred once 69 (nice) gets trenched.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I think there's more to do in downtown Houston than in downtown Austin (full disclosure: I live in Austin). You have legit performing arts and major league sports, in addition to the restaurants, parks, and conventions. You can get on the train and go to the museums or Hermann Park. I guess it depends on taste. I like hearing a Respighi symphony more than another band trying to sound like Willie Nelson. And Houston's downtown manages more of a big city, New York feel, whereas downtown Austin seems to have more of a casual, recreational feel. 

Also, since this is an architecture forum, I would be remiss not to mention the architecture. You can either have internationally significant examples of nearly every movement in high rise architecture since the 1920's, or you can have a bunch of postmodern glass with balconies.

Well said H-Town and I totally agree. 

Having grown up in and around this gigantic metropolis until I was in my mid-30's, I've either seen or read about and then noticed every example of architecture within the time frame you mentioned.  Only Houston did it way better than everyone else, but never gloated about it before and just kept on doing it's creative wonderful independent "thing" while other Texas cities, who shall remain nameless, constantly touted themselves as the ultimate place to be, especially for TX.  This has turned out to be so much hot air and not much more, if you've visited these other cities and compared them to Houston over time.  Houston has always been THE big city for Texas in it's history at least from the early 20th century on to today.  I see that only accelerating from this point forward to the foreseeable future.  Proof?  Look around you- incredible growth rates on scales we haven't really see sustained before in our history, most of the growth coming in the form on millennials and young people just starting out, especially college graduates, international immigration on a huge scale to our city with no limits, many new architecturally significant projects all over town, but especially downtown with so many more in the works or in serious planning stages, technology growth both originating and coming into our area as our society in America progresses in science, technology, aerospace, and medicine.  AND, let's not forget, even Harvey couldn't stop this growth and progress for Houston.  That's pretty much the definition of a "disastrous" event.  Not that worse things can still happen and may still in the future, but all things being equal, Houston will continue to grow phenomenally as it has for most of it's history, where the people and policies have determined what their future will be, and not the politics of Washington or our State lawmakers. 

As for modern day Austin?  Well, I'm sad to say, not so much...  I also lived in Austin straight out of college from roughly 1985-90.  It was a much more interesting city back then and didn't try to bite off more than it could chew.  Seems as has been said, that the pace of the population growth there was never (and is still not being addressed properly) anticipated to be as large as it is today.  Therefore, the experience of living there is no more genuine that it used to be due to so much clogged traffic and congestion, and being taken over by too much "new money" that doesn't fit in with Austin's original way of life that was so wonderful, even into the early 1990's.  There seems to be much more a division and segregation of wealthy people (newcomers) concentrated surrounding the city on the western Hill Country side and downtown, and the not so wealthy people now being pushed further east and southeast of the city limits than ever before.  Surprising for a city that is supposedly "liberal" thinking, but bears little resemblance to that ideal these days it would seem.  Could this all have something to do with the tilt in national politics and the takeover of our state government from one party to the other during the late 90's ?  You can decide that for yourself.  I'm only trying to highlight what I believe are important factors in the changes we are seeing for our beloved Austin.  Yet, despite all the weird, and downright ghastly changes it is undergoing, Austin will always stay in my heart as a wonderful experience where I first began making my way in life, before moving back to Houston to evolve into the person I remain to this day.

I guess in a lot of ways, population being the main exception, Houston and Austin are getting more and more similar, as one moves towards the right and the other moves more to the left.  They seem to meet somewhere in the middle, overall. 

Having said all of that (I know, quite a bundle of thoughts, right LOL!) in closing, I just have to say HOUSTON will always be my one true home.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

Not sure if they are adding dirt or taking it away. Anyone see dump trucks hauling away the dirt?

9wgdZn2.jpg

I haven’t seen any dirt hauled away.  I think they’ve been shifting it, exposing pieces of the foundation from the old building. Maybe to yank them out? 

Edited by MarathonMan
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

I haven’t seen any dirt hauled away.  I think they’ve been shifting it, exposing pieces of the foundation from the old building. Maybe to yank them out? 

From the picture, it doesn't look like the excavator is there anymore. The bulldozer and sheepsfoot roller would typically mean they are on to leveling and compacting stage. But there's still so much dirt left, so perhaps they are making a track/pad for a much larger piece of equipment... perhaps a crawler crane to pull out the piles?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phillip_white said:

From the picture, it doesn't look like the excavator is there anymore. The bulldozer and sheepsfoot roller would typically mean they are on to leveling and compacting stage. But there's still so much dirt left, so perhaps they are making a track/pad for a much larger piece of equipment... perhaps a crawler crane to pull out the piles?

Sorry but I didn't include the other pic that shows an excavator on site also. But it seems strange that all those small piles of dirt are placed in the deeper parts of the site and that they have a sheepsfoot roller compactor.

OdOMXJU.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TheSirDingle said:

Feel like it's gonna be a skeleton crew until; they start pouring the foundation 

Jeez, I hope not!  It’ll take them years!  This developer is giving new meaning to the term “baby steps”.  Well, this outfit and the one doing Dolce Midtown on W Gray.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 10:34 AM, hindesky said:

Sorry but I didn't include the other pic that shows an excavator on site also. But it seems strange that all those small piles of dirt are placed in the deeper parts of the site and that they have a sheepsfoot roller compactor.

OdOMXJU.jpg

My inner six year old sees this and wants to grab the bulldozer and slide it back and forth while making roaring noises :ph34r:

• Like 9

On 5/17/2018 at 6:00 PM, MarathonMan said:

Both.  I live in Midtown and I love spending time downtown.  I also spend time in the Museum District/Hermann Park.  I think that, once the Pierce Elevated is eliminated (fingers crossed!), the two districts will integrate.  They’re both pedestrian-oriented and easy to navigate.

I don’t understand the need for downtown and Midtown to “integrate.” The presence of the Pierce Elevated has hardly stunted development in Midtown. Further, light rail passes through uninhibited, and all streets maintain a clean connection despite the half-block wide Pierce Elevated. There is still room for development on the southwest side of downtown and the northeast side of Midtown, with new projects announced in these areas recently. The only “barrier” that the Pierce Elevated seems to constitute is a visual barrier between the two districts. 

As I’m sure you’re aware, the Pierce Elevated coming down would be the last step in the I-45 reroute project. Best case scenario, and assuming no delays with this ambitious project, you’re probably looking at least 10 years before that happens. Hope you don’t develop a cramp keeping your fingers crossed for that long. 

:huh:

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

I don’t understand the need for downtown and Midtown to “integrate.” The presence of the Pierce Elevated has hardly stunted development in Midtown. Further, light rail passes through uninhibited, and all streets maintain a clean connection despite the half-block wide Pierce Elevated. There is still room for development on the southwest side of downtown and the northeast side of Midtown, with new projects announced in these areas recently. The only “barrier” that the Pierce Elevated seems to constitute is a visual barrier between the two districts. 

As I’m sure you’re aware, the Pierce Elevated coming down would be the last step in the I-45 reroute project. Best case scenario, and assuming no delays with this ambitious project, you’re probably looking at least 10 years before that happens. Hope you don’t develop a cramp keeping your fingers crossed for that long. 

I never said there was a NEED for Downtown and Midtown to integrate by removing the Pierce Elevated.  Both districts will be fine if the Pierce stays.  And I’m not naive enough to think that the Pierce is going anywhere anytime soon.  I didn’t write anything to that effect.  My point, to be clear, was that I think freeways in general create unfortunate physical, visual and psychological barriers between neighborhoods.  When those barriers can be eliminated a city is better off. Vancouver, B.C., for instance, doesn’t do freeways near its core For this reason.  Another example, Klyde Warren Park in Dallas (over the Woodall Rogers Fwy).  That park is a great way to connect Uptown and Downtown Dallas.  I may be wrong, but I bet you’d be hard pressed to find someone who thinks otherwise.

So, yes, I would love to see Midtown and downtown Houston more connected someday.  And I’d love to see I-45 gone between downtown and Buffalo Bayou Park.  That would be transformational for the city!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MarathonMan said:

I never said there was a NEED for Downtown and Midtown to integrate by removing the Pierce Elevated.  Both districts will be fine if the Pierce stays.  And I’m not naive enough to think that the Pierce is going anywhere anytime soon.  I didn’t write anything to that effect.  My point, to be clear, was that I think freeways in general create unfortunate physical, visual and psychological barriers between neighborhoods.  When those barriers can be eliminated a city is better off. Vancouver, B.C., for instance, doesn’t do freeways near its core For this reason.  Another example, Klyde Warren Park in Dallas (over the Woodall Rogers Fwy).  That park is a great way to connect Uptown and Downtown Dallas.  I may be wrong, but I bet you’d be hard pressed to find someone who thinks otherwise.

So, yes, I would love to see Midtown and downtown Houston more connected someday.  And I’d love to see I-45 gone between downtown and Buffalo Bayou Park.  That would be transformational for the city!

There will still be a freeway-like presence between downtown and Buffalo Bayou Park. Latest maps from last week still show several elevated connectors starting south of W Dallas originating at Bagby, Jefferson, etc. to connect to I-10 west and I-45 north. The Bayou will still have multiple, multi-lane bridges crossing it at the same point I-45 does now.

I agree with your concern about “creat[ing] unfortunate physical . . . barriers.” Unfortunately, the same plan that will (eventually) bring down part of the Pierce requires a rerouting of I-45 to the southeast of downtown that will actually create a physical barrier . . . for EaDo and the East End. More than a dozen vibrant city blocks eliminated, several streets that currently provide access to downtown cut off—a sizable physical barrier that will unequivocally have a detrimental impact to the neighborhood, more harm than the Pierce could ever be credited with.

I wish we could follow Vancouver’s example, but we passed the point of no return to do away with freeways near the CBD long ago.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

There will still be a freeway-like presence between downtown and Buffalo Bayou Park. Latest maps from last week still show several elevated connectors starting south of W Dallas originating at Bagby, Jefferson, etc. to connect to I-10 west and I-45 north. The Bayou will still have multiple, multi-lane bridges crossing it at the same point I-45 does now.

I agree with your concern about “creat[ing] unfortunate physical . . . barriers.” Unfortunately, the same plan that will (eventually) bring down part of the Pierce requires a rerouting of I-45 to the southeast of downtown that will actually create a physical barrier . . . for EaDo and the East End. More than a dozen vibrant city blocks eliminated, several streets that currently provide access to downtown cut off—a sizable physical barrier that will unequivocally have a detrimental impact to the neighborhood, more harm than the Pierce could ever be credited with.

I wish we could follow Vancouver’s example, but we passed the point of no return to do away with freeways near the CBD long ago.

I understand that we aren’t going to eliminate all the freeways adjacent to downtown.  I’m not that naive.  My argument was more general.  

11 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

Picture Lamar Street in downtown Austin. Lots of really nice development. Now picture if they had built a freeway where Lamar Street is. Would you still have all that nice development?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Picture Lamar Street in downtown Austin. Lots of really nice development. Now picture if they had built a freeway where Lamar Street is. Would you still have all that nice development?

It would not have developed in the same fashion, I agree. But Lamar, in terms of the way it tracks, is a bit different than Pierce Street, which tracks as straight as an arrow and was ideal for an elevated freeway.

My point was that the Pierce has not really hindered “nice development” in the immediate area, and even if it remains in place, Midtown and downtown will still continue to develop towards and converge at the Pierce.

And, buildings like 2016 Main long ago demonstrated that the half blocks along the Pierce can still be developed to abut it.

The real gain from removal of the Pierce would be approximately nine half blocks of real estate and removal of what amounts to predominately a visual barrier. Is that worth what would happen to the EaDo and the East End (given that the freeway cap park seems to be a pipe dream at this point)?

49 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

This is great news! I drive by that site every day and was worried the project was abandoned. It seemed like it had been relegated to a retention pond after heavy rains.

It will be nice to see this get off the ground, although the Caydon tower got a nice head start.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

It would not have developed in the same fashion, I agree. But Lamar, in terms of the way it tracks, is a bit different than Pierce Street, which tracks as straight as an arrow and was ideal for an elevated freeway.

My point was that the Pierce has not really hindered “nice development” in the immediate area, and even if it remains in place, Midtown and downtown will still continue to develop towards and converge at the Pierce.

And, buildings like 2016 Main long ago demonstrated that the half blocks along the Pierce can still be developed to abut it.

The real gain from removal of the Pierce would be approximately nine half blocks of real estate and removal of what amounts to predominately a visual barrier. Is that worth what would happen to the EaDo and the East End (given that the freeway cap park seems to be a pipe dream at this point)?

Any freeway creates blight extending beyond its immediate ROW, and whatever has managed to be developed there is a pale shadow of would could otherwise have been. But I fully share your concerns about the impact of the reroute to the East End, and I am really not sure if I am for the plan or not at this point, given that there's still such a massive concrete presence planned for the west end due to everyone complaining and getting what they want.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It hasn't really changed since that June 8 photo.  I'll post a photo once HAIF fixes image posting (I'm not sure how some people have been able to get it to work, because it's totally broken for me), but it looks basically the same as a month ago.  They've pushed a lot of dirt around, probably in preparation for pouring the foundation, though.  I guess it won't have a basement since they haven't dug anything out.

13 minutes ago, rechlin said:

It hasn't really changed since that June 8 photo.  I'll post a photo once HAIF fixes image posting (I'm not sure how some people have been able to get it to work, because it's totally broken for me), but it looks basically the same as a month ago.  They've pushed a lot of dirt around, probably in preparation for pouring the foundation, though.  I guess it won't have a basement since they haven't dug anything out.

They’ve been drilling and pouring piles for the past few weeks.  There has been a great deal of activity on-site, but the extent of their work is all underground, without a lot of visible progress to show for it.  Typical for foundation work.