The Travis: Multifamily High-Rise At 3300 Main St.

Urbannizer

This mid-rise is listed under "current projects" on Allen Bianchi's website. Anyone know more? 

http://www.allenbianchi.com/components/com_currentprojects/images/projects/large/11.jpg

Providing convenience with luxury living this mixed use, mid rise, modern apartment complex houses two hundred units as well as five thousand sq ft of retail. The units surround an outdoor courtyard that contains a pool promoting and engaged community. The retail spaces also provide ample outdoor seating to engage pedestrians.

http://www.allenbianchi.com/components/com_currentprojects/images/projects/large/12.jpg

http://www.allenbianchi.com/components/com_currentprojects/images/projects/large/83.jpg

http://www.allenbianchi.com/components/com_currentprojects/images/projects/large/84.jpg

http://www.allenbianchi.com/index.php?option=com_currentprojects&layout=detail&id=2&Itemid=3

Current design:

24223-84157.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like a creative adaptation of a parking garage for urban living. Come to think of it, this is brilliant. Can't think of a better postmodern statement you could make than to take an old parking garage and put lofts in it, exposed concrete I-beams and all. I can just see the NY Times raving about the "subtle commentary on the auto-centric lifestyle of Sunbelt cities."

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That is the right spot and the maybe bulldozing to redevelop.

Edit: I read the info on it and it was actually a study on how the site can be redeveloped. It also goes on to say that the city ultimately agreed that redeveloping of the site was the right path. 

Edited by TowerSpotter
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/City-s-possible-Midtown-property-sale-could-boost-5905207.php#/0

PM Realty Group confirmed this week that it is under contract with the Midtown Redevelopment Authority to purchase property at 3300 Main, and City Council on Wednesday cleared the way for that sale by waiving the city's deed restriction on the site. The funds from the sale will go to improvements in the Midtown neighborhood, sandwiched between downtown and the Museum District.

PM Realty Group would not elaborate on its plans for the site, and the Midtown Authority officials redirected calls to a public relations firm, which did not respond to questions Wednesday.

• Like 4

The colorless renderings look like a county jail. The first rendering depicts a slightly different structure. With both office portions protruding over and past the garage a little, as well as a garden above the garage, also the roof top mechanical portion is slightly off. Same idea I suppose. Pretty cold and unwelcoming design. I look forward to more details renderings.

I think there should be some sort of design summit of Houston architects or architect's that design in Houston to discuss potential ideas for parking podiums moving forward since it will remain a fixture of buildings for some time to come. While the objects that are protruding the podium aren't bad (kinda on the bland side though) the complete thoughtlessness that goes into podium design is ridiculous! I mean just a few blocks from my work is 3737 Weslyan and that is an example of at least an attempt to camouflage a 3 story parking podium that is within the structure itself (i'm not talking about the enormous parking garage on it's side of course). But look at this thing!

Other than that it's incredible what is going up in Midtown! I mean seriously this is a complete fundamental transformation of an entire area of town in less than 5 years! Craziness. I'm hoping that this gets one more pass through during Design Development.

• Like 1

I think there should be some sort of design summit of Houston architects or architect's that design in Houston to discuss potential ideas for parking podiums moving forward since it will remain a fixture of buildings for some time to come. While the objects that are protruding the podium aren't bad (kinda on the bland side though) the complete thoughtlessness that goes into podium design is ridiculous! I mean just a few blocks from my work is 3737 Weslyan and that is an example of at least an attempt to camouflage a 3 story parking podium that is within the structure itself (i'm not talking about the enormous parking garage on it's side of course). But look at this thing!

Other than that it's incredible what is going up in Midtown! I mean seriously this is a complete fundamental transformation of an entire area of town in less than 5 years! Craziness. I'm hoping that this gets one more pass through during Design Development.

Your summit needs to include parking buildings (and not just podiums).  I fear it may be time for the city to impose some regulations on parking garage design.  That statement does not come easily for me, but developers have been throwing up a lot of hideous parking structures in the last few years.  Initially, I favored imposing such regulations only downtown, but in the spirt of no-zoning, I now think we should impose them city-wide.  (And that will also eliminate the possible negative side-effect of hurting downtown development if the regulations were downtown-only.)

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I doubt it.

I also saw soil testing going on at the strip center just west of the railroad track on the north side of San Felipe this morning.

Where the golf shop is. Has anyone heard of anything going on there?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...