The Travis: Multifamily High-Rise At 3300 Main St.

Urbannizer

3300 Main is a mixed-use development by PM Realty Group in partnership with AECOM Capital located in the Midtown neighborhood of Houston, Texas. 3300 Main will feature 336 residential apartments, 14,390 square feet of retail space, and 521 parking spaces. The project is strategically located next to the METRORail providing direct access to both Downtown Houston to the North and the Texas Medical Center to the South.

So the first thing I noticed was the change from condos to apartments. Why the change?  I think the condos would have added a nice mix to the area.  If the numbers hold that's over 1000 apartment units in 5 blocks.  3800 (320 units), 3600 (363 units), 3300 (336 units).

• 2 months later...

Update; the survey/abstract this is located in contains Main Street from roughly Leeland, south to around Oakdale

That would put it right where the Museo Plaza is proposed, and coincides with Cranky's post this morning:

This is still a possibility. The developer is asking the city to abandon Palm street as depicted in the renderings. The NIMBYs are are starting to band together   :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Removing asbestos for demolition!

THE 1967 OCCUPANT of 3300 Main St., which previously housed the city code enforcement office, is currently getting its asbestos removed in anticipation of its impending demolition, according to a reader involved in the work. The structure and its parking lot grounds were bought from the city in 2011 by the Midtown Redevelopment Authority, who later sold it to PM Realty (the developers of the glass-petticoated apartment tower at 2929 Weslayan, who are also currently working on the less-is-more-branded Ivy Lofts tiny condo complexin East Downtown).

What’s going to take the code building’s place, between the new MATCH box theater collection and the Houston Community College buildings to the north on Main St.? The involved reader confirms that the rendering below shows the current design in place along the light rail line; materials from co-investor AECOM say the highrise should hold 336 apartments and 14,390 sq.ft. of retail space:

http://swamplot.com/asbestos-laden-mod-code-enforcement-office-now-getting-swapped-for-mixed-use-highrise-on-main-st/2016-07-12/

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Triton said:

This part was interesting:

The reader says construction should start in September after demolition wraps up. The design shown above has put on a few floors (and lost some corners) since the original designs by RTKL were passed around last fall:

• Like 3

This should be approximately the height of the Catalyst downtown.

With the Carter and with other highrises in the village and museum district (including the toothy Ashby highrise)  it certainly is going to begin a continuity of skyline from downtown to midtown/museum district/medical center

• Like 5

6 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I'm more interested in the development of walkability and continuity of neighborhoods. A long string of residential highrises won't make a very impressive skyline - Dallas' Uptown has a huge cluster of residential towers and it's not much of a skyline. But to have a Main St. where someone can walk from the bayou to Hermann Park and it be an interesting walk the whole way: that is a dream.

Couldn't agree more. Houston needs to decide. Do we just want to be a skyline city or are we also going to consider the pedestrian. It can be both. Right now we're still focusing on what the top of the building looks like instead of the first one or two floors.

I still feel like for the most part however we're still building a drive-by-and-gawk-at-the-skyline city. I would actually like to dedicate a thread to this topic. There might be one I forgot about it.

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 7