Houston Starchitecture

cloud713

so were having a debate on another forum over which city has better architecture. im trying to compile a list of some of the nicest work done by the most famous architects, in Houston.. 

Ludqig Mies Van Der Rohe - MFAH

Rafael Moneo - MFAH

Rezno Piano - Menil

I. M. Pei - Chase

Philip Johnson (not quite starchitect but close IMO)

Frank Lloyd Wright - tall oaks residence

and Cesar Pelli - Chevron

am i missing any other big time architects who have works in Houston?

• 4 weeks later...

Phillip Johnson is what one would consider a "Starchitect" - he is, if anything, a bigger name than some of the others you mentioned.

Didn't Daniel Burnham or Louis Sullivan have 1 notable work here as well?  I think one of them did in fact.  Its on Main Street and about 18-20 floors tall.  I'll dig around and see what building it is.  Stephen Fox told me about it on a walk-around downtown when I had his class in 5th year of architectural school.

I would say that Michael Graves work also counts, as does Ralph Adams Cram.

One need only look at Rice's additions as most big name architects who have ever worked here in town have done something there as well

Philip Johnson - most important architect of the late 20th century for my money. For sheer talent he belongs with FLW and Mies, maybe slightly lower. Biggest strike against him is that he became, by his own admission, a skyscraper prostitute, applying Byzantine or Romanesque forms originally developed in churches to lobbies for banks. Also just seemed to do one design too many every so often in his later years; five drop dead gorgeous buildings would be followed by something really hokey and regrettable. Lost his "cool" factor due to this.

Archived