Allen Center Redevlopment

Triton

I just thought about how cool it would be if that new two story glass portion in front of Allen 2 was a flagship Apple Store. It would definetley have the client base to support it.

During office hours... And a much smaller store... Maybe. But it's too close to the parking district. Perhaps in the future.

• 3 months later...

Brookfield has its eye on a wide swath of renovations, first and foremost updating Allen Center. Paul tells us it’s in the early stages of designing a $50M revamp there that’ll kick off this time next year. (It’ll upgrade green space, which is the largest private green space in the CBD and larger than the green space in New York’s Rockefeller. Other areas of focus will be the lobbies and building entrances.) Brookfield’s also contemplating improvements to 1600 Smith’s lobby/common areas, Paul says—it’s close to hiring an architect, and will probably launch work next year. It’s also eyeing a major renovation of the Downtown Club at the Met, which hasn’t gotten a refresh in 15 years, and Brookfield’s adding a fitness center into 1201 Louisiana soon, including locker and bike rooms.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/office/here-are-3-major-buildings-brookfield-wants-to-revamp-47167?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

So I got a haircut at SuperCuts today (Mary did a good job). Well anyways, word is all street level tenants will be moved by October 8th for construction.

If you're wondering, SuperCuts will be moving to the Allen Center Tunnel food court (old AT&T spot)

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Brookfield has its eye on a wide swath of renovations, first and foremost updating Allen Center. Paul tells us it’s in the early stages of designing a $50M revamp there that’ll kick off this time next year. (It’ll upgrade green space, which is the largest private green space in the CBD and larger than the green space in New York’s Rockefeller. Other areas of focus will be the lobbies and building entrances.) Brookfield’s also contemplating improvements to 1600 Smith’s lobby/common areas, Paul says—it’s close to hiring an architect, and will probably launch work next year. It’s also eyeing a major renovation of the Downtown Club at the Met, which hasn’t gotten a refresh in 15 years, and Brookfield’s adding a fitness center into 1201 Louisiana soon, including locker and bike rooms.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/office/here-are-3-major-buildings-brookfield-wants-to-revamp-47167?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

Remodeling permits pulled for Three Allen Center last Tuesday.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Incredible project. I'm surprised nobody is commenting on this.

I know the term game changer has been used on this forum quite a bit on HAIF, but this could be another case, at least for downtown or this side of downtown. The East side has DG and the north Market Square. This along with Exxon's urban campus could be a good anchor for this area.

The fact they're defining this as a "public" park and allowing the surrounding employees to use the space is a big deal. Hopefully this leads the way in terms of landscape architecture for future downtown and other urban developments. I don't think every development needs a green space but for a campus of this size downtown it brings a lot of value.

The only downside is that besides the warm bodies the Hyatt-Regency across the street provides, it makes for a deplorable structural and visually interactive neighbor. I wouldn't mind seeing them tear that thing down one day.

This goes perfect with a video I just watched...Houston, Leading with Landscape.

Anyone work on this side of downtown?

• Like 4

I still can't figure out what the heck Crescent is waiting for with the Houston Center redevelopment..?

i dig this new design. And the new One Allen Center entrance somewhat reminds me of that mid century atrium/pavilion that was torn down on Main for a parking garage.

Normally I don't like too much ground level green space in urban developments, with large setbacks from the street. But since this development is more of a massive complex, and the space is being treated like a public park, I like it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...