Air New Zealand Airlines

wxman

I'd rather see Qantus (doubtful as the fly to DFW), SAS , Transaero or Aeroflot fly here first.  Speaking in the business sense - SAS/Russian airlines would make sense more so than ANZ due to the oil..ahem... "energy" connections.  I would also love to see South African Airlines fly here.

Can you guys use the full names of airports/airlines? I don't know what half the airport codes are. I've noticed in other threads it's the same way and I can't follow along because I have no idea what they are. Thanks in advance!  :D 

Sorry ANA is All Nippon Airways.  HDA is Haneda Airport and is closer than Narita Airport which is 30 miles away from Tokyo.  Haneda is 10 miles from Tokyo and they just completed a new runway for more traffic and upgraded the terminal.  So everybody wants to fly there because there are 40 slots open.  Of course you know JFK airport is? 

United Airlines still owns part of Copa Airlines.  The planes look the same, the globe on the tail is a little different. MileagePlus is their ff program.

I don't think so.  Continental indeed owned a majority of Copa at one time, but I'm pretty sure they had sold all of their interest in Copa prior to the merger with United.   (They do still have the similar livery and use MileagePlus.)

No I think they own 20% of Copa still. OMG look at their stock!

On May 6, 1998, Copa Holdings, the holding company for Copa and related companies was incorporated as a sociedad anónima under the laws of Panama to facilitate the sale by CIASA of a 49% stake in Copa Holdings to Continental. In connection with Continental's investment, we entered into an extensive alliance agreement with Continental providing for code-sharing, joint marketing, technical exchanges and other cooperative initiatives between the airlines. At the time of our initial public offering in December 2005, Continental reduced its ownership of our total capital stock from 49% to approximately 27.3%. In a follow-on offering in June 2006, Continental further reduced its ownership of our total capital stock from 27.3% to 10.0%. In May 2008, Continental sold its remaining shares in the public market

http://investor.shareholder.com/copa/overview.cfm

Back to the topic from the OP, it would be nice to see NZ (Air New Zealand) flying here. However, depending on arrival/departure times, there might be a lack of available gate space at Terminal D.

Terminal D is being expanded. Air France may fly the Airbus 388. Air New Zealand does not have the plane to make it here non stop. It may have to refuel in LAX. I think when United gets more 787 next year they may fly there. But Houston is larger then New Zealand so I cannot see it profitable.

It's not about IAH-ANZ passengers, it's about the connections between two Star Alliance hubs.  ANZ connects all over the South Pacific,  and IAH connects all over the US, Canada, and Latin America.  IAH has many more connections than UA can offer through LAX or SFO.

Air New Zealand does not have the plane to make it here non stop. It may have to refuel in LAX.

They have two types of planes (772ER and 77W), soon to be joined by a third (787-9), that can make the journey non-stop:

AKL (37°00'29"S 174°47'30"E) IAH (29°59'04"N 95°20'29"W) 65.4°  (NE) 7415 mi   Total:     7415 m

post-2792-0-97478100-1382714607_thumb.gi

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I took the direct flight from Auckland last Wednesday (23rd). Air New Zealand blows by the way. They have no individual fan above seats and they get a ton of credit for the skycouch that is too expensive to use and thus nobody does.

• 4 weeks later...

That's great news! Still hoping that somebody can capture a picture of ANZ at IAH. Been looking at going back down under and the fares from Houston to Auckland aren't terrible ($1650-$1800) 

• 2 months later...

Archived