Latest Time Magazine cover story: Why Texas Is Our Future

nolaboy

I just received this issue of Time magazine (Dated 10/28/13), I haven't had a chance to read through it yet but it looks like it will be a good read.

Theres a blurb towards the front of the magazine that talks about how the coverpage artist developed the graphic. She had a map of the US laser cut into puzzle pieces, which she spent hours trying to assemble into the shape of Texas. I'm not sure if each state is scaled the same, as Alaska is significantly smaller than Texas (I believe it should have twice the area of Texas in reality). Regardless, I think its a really cool cover.

Link to the Time article (subscription required to read full article)

1101131028_600.jpg

Back when Rick Perry was running for president, somebody noticed that much of the "Texas miracle" was owing to public-sector jobs ... 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/perry-criticizes-government-while-texas-job-growth-benefits-from-it/2011/08/18/gIQAPPZQSJ_story.html

... and that job growth had not kept pace with population growth.

Come to think, that does sound kind of like the future!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that TX and specifically Houston will lead the way in many sectors this century and I am proud. What I hope and pray though, is that when and if a sociological study of this state is examined and perhaps even published, what will shine is our ability to embrace diversity. Let's be honest, El Paso, SA, Austin Dallas and Houston could be located in different regions of our great country. And I think it is a credit to us as a people that these distinctly different cities along with their cultures exist in one state. Albeit a big ass state, but one state never the less. That's one of the main things I took from the article. I loved in LA for 20 yrs and when I first moved there, I celebrated the cultural diversity that existed just in a line at Ralphs market. Well, I was in an HEB off of Hwy 6 near Copperfield this past week, and experienced exactly the same thing. I hope what we show to the world is neither extreme leftist or extreme right, but good ole TX common sense. I like that we give business big and small a chance to flourish, but also can tout that our roadside interstate rest stops are almost entirely built from recycled materials. You know, common sense.

^The problem is how to present ourselves to a world that largely wants to believe we are the stereotype that has been portrayed for 50+ years.

The ignorant remain so because they decided a long time ago that their opinion on places/people/things matters more than what is actual fact.  Our elected representatives have also not helped us too much of late...

Archived