Pearl At The Mix: Multifamily At 2910 Milam St.

Urbannizer

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry guys, let me try to clarify.  2906 Louisiana is the building that was formerly slated to be used for the Alamo Drafthouse development.  This is an old building, it is not the current High Fashion Home building and it is not the current High Fashion Home Fabrics building.  

This building had been used by High Fashion home for storing extra furniture.  It is being emptied and is currently scheduled for demolition right after.

Sorry guys, let me try to clarify.  2906 Louisiana is the building that was formerly slated to be used for the Alamo Drafthouse development.  This is an old building, it is not the current High Fashion Home building and it is not the current High Fashion Home Fabrics building.  

This building had been used by High Fashion home for storing extra furniture.  It is being emptied and is currently scheduled for demolition right after.

That makes a hell of a lot more sense. I ride past this building regularly and always wondered what they are up to. Excited to see another crappy mid-town lot bite the dust!

• 2 weeks later...
More "Pearls" are planned for Houston’s multifamily market. Houston-based Morgan Group Inc. is in the process of developing a Pearl at the Mix, a five-story, 196-unit complex atop a two-level parking garage at Milam Street and Tuam Street.

How much the project will cost was not available and the project has not filed any permits with the city yet.

Pearl at the Mix will feature studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom units ranging in size from 612 to 1,703 square feet. Additional features include a fitness center, pool with cabanas, barbecue stations and an e-lounge.

Pearl at the Mix is slated to open by early 2016. Wallace Garcia Wilson Architects of Houston is the architect.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2014/02/another-apartment-complex-in-the-works-for-midtown.html

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Morgan is taking great retail sites and squashing any chance the neighborhood has to have mixed use. I'd be ok with this development if it weren't on such a good retail street. Morgan's two on Elgin/Westheimer are even worse. Shame on them. 

Morgan is taking great retail sites and squashing any chance the neighborhood has to have mixed use. I'd be ok with this development if it weren't on such a good retail street. Morgan's two on Elgin/Westheimer are even worse. Shame on them. 

and exactly why does there need to be retail on every block?  there is retail literally all around in midtown... this notion that to have a truly walkable area every development needs retail is absolutely baseless. we've had this discussion a million times and it's usually the most clueless of folks that make this claim so adamantly.

The GFR people never cease to amaze me! Until the Post retail spots are filled up (If I may borrow a famous Chicago Sports Radio Segments Catchphrase) Who you crapping? Seriously - there are multiple empty retail spots including some in the 24 hour complex 2 blocks away! Why don't you take your savings and start a complaint department there? I started off trying to be funny but now I am mad! You guys are ridiculous.

I don't think he is saying that retail should be on every block. Think he is saying that this blocks are a prime cross roads. These twi ptijects I believe ate on Westheimer/ Elgin between Smith and Louisiana. Those are the #1 and #2 busiest north south streets and arguably Westheimer is the busiest arterial street in Houston.

I like the Pearl projects. The Area looks so different already, and the Calais stands out less

• 1 month later...

I don't think he is saying that retail should be on every block. Think he is saying that this blocks are a prime cross roads. These twi ptijects I believe ate on Westheimer/ Elgin between Smith and Louisiana. Those are the #1 and #2 busiest north south streets and arguably Westheimer is the busiest arterial street

Lovers of walkable neighborhoods and reading comprehension appreciate this post.

I am not sure why mixed-use is that good.

1. Are you saying that having a Subway, a Drycleaners, a liquor store, a coffee shop, and a convenience store in a single building makes much difference? The only people who will use it live there or work nearby. That is what you are going to get with first floor retail in residential buildings.

2. I think most people want to go to an area and walk around. At home, they just want to get the Bomb and a six pack of beer or walk a block to the gym down the street.

Actually a lot of people want to live in a place where they can walk around and there are things in walking distance, and other people are walking around. That's why mixed use is that good - with juxtaposition of different uses comes a more active neighborhood.

But it doesn't have to be, and seldom is, every block.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived